PDA

View Full Version : can low memory cause BSOD ?

fifthelement
11-19-06, 07:20 AM
I'm using now a system with 256DDR2 ram, 7600GT and nforce 430 mobo

sometimes I get BSOD in 2D mode when browsing and playing mpeg files through windows media player in the background, in the BSOD message I see nv4_disp is the cause of the problem.
I noticed that if I'm not playing mpeg files, no BSOD.
I read in a website that sometimes the card need to use some ram, it the card didn't get the much amount of ram which it want, it will cause the nv4_disp error.

I tried some game and no BSOD, also I tried rthdribl and no BSOD, same with 3dmark

hirantha
11-19-06, 07:42 AM
yes the computer my dad use had the same problem, i change two video card and it didnt fix and finally i went with the onboard graphics and that fixed the issue.. no more BSOD after that... for you, did you try changing the drivers? or try changing the graphic card to see if it would be fixed

fifthelement
11-19-06, 07:45 AM
yes I tried different drivers and didn't help

do you think using more ram can fix this problem ?

otherwise, what is your dad's motherboard model and how much ram ?

hirantha
11-19-06, 07:50 AM
yes I tried different drivers and didn't help

do you think using more ram can fix this problem ?

otherwise, what is your dad's motherboard model and how much ram ?

yes first i thought i had bad RAM and i changed RAM around, actually BSOD started happening after i change the RAM from 1Gig to 512MB. it could have been the RAM.

its an MSI board no top notch just for his personal use

fifthelement
11-19-06, 08:04 AM
what are the graphic cards you have tried ?

hirantha
11-19-06, 08:47 AM
what are the graphic cards you have tried ?

they are old Ti500 and a FX5200 all AGP

fifthelement
11-19-06, 08:58 AM
I will try to get more ram, as it seems it is 95% memory related because before I get the BSOD, I see the HD led become very stressful and the mouse pointer begin to be really slow and the desktop become unresponsive and then BSOD nv4_disp.

if the graphic card itself is faulty I think I should have error in 3dmarks/games/rthdribl, but all of them have passed without problems

Bearclaw
11-19-06, 09:45 AM
I will try to get more ram, as it seems it is 95% memory related because before I get the BSOD, I see the HD led become very stressful and the mouse pointer begin to be really slow and the desktop become unresponsive and then BSOD nv4_disp.

if the graphic card itself is faulty I think I should have error in 3dmarks/games/rthdribl, but all of them have passed without problems
Ya, I am surprised you can do anything with 256. Definitley upgrade to at least 1Gb. DDR ram is getting cheaper and cheaper everyday.