PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 8800 GTX Dead :thumbdwn:

lduguay
11-19-06, 09:19 PM
Well it did work for 5 minutes and then it went dead, corrupted video and complete freeze. I've put back my 7800 GTX's :(
Another RMA for me.

LBJM
11-19-06, 09:22 PM
does your card have the "resistor problem"? Did you get your card from newegg.com by any chance?

lduguay
11-19-06, 09:32 PM
Well i got it from NCIX Canada from the Vancouver area
On the site it says:

Statement from EVGA: "EVGA overnighted on Monday November 6 the "New" e-GeForce 8800GTX to our etailers for the launch. It works perfectly and I guarantee it.” said Andrew Han, President and CEO of EVGA.

I guess he lied...

hirantha
11-19-06, 09:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the card, i think Canada got the bad transistor versions.

Spartan 117
11-19-06, 10:04 PM
it seems its a global problem, is it??

SlieTheSecond
11-19-06, 10:06 PM
I know how you feel. My 8800 gts died the same night I got it.
I guess that brings the dead card count from Canada up to 2

Can't you exchange it instead of RMA it ?

jAkUp
11-19-06, 10:35 PM
Well i got it from NCIX Canada from the Vancouver area
On the site it says:

Statement from EVGA: "EVGA overnighted on Monday November 6 the "New" e-GeForce 8800GTX to our etailers for the launch. It works perfectly and I guarantee it. said Andrew Han, President and CEO of EVGA.

I guess he lied...

Its not a lie. My guess is it is just a bad card, it should have the resistor swap.

cmsmith
11-19-06, 10:38 PM
does your card have the "resistor problem"? Did you get your card from newegg.com by any chance?

What resistor problem?! I ordered an Asus EN8800GTX card. I got it, stuck it in, and the screen was a corrupted mess of color. I've sent it back to get a new one. Luckily I got mine from Newegg.com. RMA was not a problem.

Is there something going on? I'd like to know about it.

SlieTheSecond
11-19-06, 10:50 PM
What resistor problem?! I ordered an Asus EN8800GTX card. I got it, stuck it in, and the screen was a corrupted mess of color. I've sent it back to get a new one. Luckily I got mine from Newegg.com. RMA was not a problem.

Is there something going on? I'd like to know about it.

You haven't heard about the resistor problem? The recall on the GTX before launch?

Check out:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617

K007
11-20-06, 12:41 AM
Yep..this is one reason i wanted to avoid getting the 8800 cards..they say they got rid of the old problem cards but its a big lie..they still put them up there to be sold to consumers..same story with the 7900GTX i had..both cards..fresh out of the box..all crapped out..and at that time they again told that they have gotten rid of the problem cards..again..another lie...

The recall was on the 8800 series that had some bad resistor value...not sure if u can tell if its bad or not..i am sure there must be some way..

Someone with a working GTX and a dead GTX should post pics to see if we can spot any difference..this will help buyers dodge the dodgy ones.

nrdstrm
11-20-06, 02:51 AM
There are several threads on this... Check them out and you can check if your card is defective. Mine has been great (and yes I checked..I'm good)...

Blacklash
11-20-06, 05:21 AM
My Evga 8800GTX runs fine here. Got it from ClubIT.

I've even OCed it with Ntune without problems. Been up to 644|1013 so far.

lduguay
11-20-06, 06:38 AM

Exchange, but i guess it will take 2-3 weeks..:(
Vancouver is not exactly next door from where i live, and NCIX ships ground for exchanges (8 days). Yet i still have to wait for the RMA approval.

Anyway, i've slapped in my trusty 7800GTX's in SLI, works perfectly (always did). I guess the 7800 series were not so bad after all.

lduguay
11-20-06, 07:03 AM
You haven't heard about the resistor problem? The recall on the GTX before launch?

Check out:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617

The resistor on my 8800GTX looks like a 39C ?? And does look like it has been replaced, because there is a bit of excess solder. It is extremely small, i could barely read even with a strong magnifing glass. Do you know if they went is a smaller resistor value than 40C.
EDIT: 39C or 40C should be OK

cmsmith
11-20-06, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I had read about some problems with some Nvidia cards and the recall. I guess I'm a bit to trusting about these things. It never dawned on me the cards may still be in the wild and I got one of them. Hopefully the replacement card will work. If not, I'm calling Asus and hitting them up for a big time chat. Thanks for the info. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having problems.

lduguay
11-20-06, 07:18 AM
Here is the excess soldering i was talking about. Sorry about the photo quality, i have a crappy Canon G6 with a limited macro function.

Ronin
11-20-06, 12:09 PM

The GTS didn't fall into the resistor problem category. It was only the GTX.

lduguay
11-20-06, 01:02 PM
True, but one too many DOA. RMA'd nvidia cards has been standard practice since the 7900's and the tradition is continuing with the 8800's. Provided there is no restocking fees, we proly buy them in pairs up front just in case one is dead.:(

SlieTheSecond
11-20-06, 01:05 PM

I am well aware of that. Still doesn't change the fact that I bought a dead video card. I know the feeling of dishing out a lot of cash for something that doesn't work.

The point still stands tho. The company should exchange it (in which most cases is a lot faster than a RMA). But he already stated exchanging it would take a lot of time.

hirantha
11-20-06, 01:16 PM
you lucky at least you got a dead video card to look at. me in the other hand got nothing and pissed to the limit cuz i still havent recived my card and i cant even freaking turn on my machine untill i get one.

cmsmith
11-20-06, 02:58 PM
you lucky at least you got a dead video card to look at. me in the other hand got nothing and pissed to the limit cuz i still havent recived my card and i cant even freaking turn on my machine untill i get one.

I thought I had it bad. Hang in there. The good news about things being bad is they can [generally] only get better. :)

hirantha
11-20-06, 03:05 PM
I thought I had it bad. Hang in there. The good news about things being bad is they can [generally] only get better. :)

thanx for the kind words Agent Smith :D

einstein_314
11-20-06, 03:19 PM
Exchange, but i guess it will take 2-3 weeks..:(
Vancouver is not exactly next door from where i live, and NCIX ships ground for exchanges (8 days). Yet i still have to wait for the RMA approval.

Anyway, i've slapped in my trusty 7800GTX's in SLI, works perfectly (always did). I guess the 7800 series were not so bad after all.
That sucks the big one. I'm pretty lucky. I live in Victoria so everything I order from NCIX is delivered the next day. No matter which shipping option I pick. And every RMA i've done with them (about 5 now) has been really easy and quick. See if you can get them to cross ship it to you. They've been really good with that for me in the past.

nrdstrm
11-20-06, 06:07 PM
That sucks the big one. I'm pretty lucky. I live in Victoria so everything I order from NCIX is delivered the next day. No matter which shipping option I pick. And every RMA i've done with them (about 5 now) has been really easy and quick. See if you can get them to cross ship it to you. They've been really good with that for me in the past.

Crazy. Small word. I have friend who also lives in Victoria. She has a sweet core 2 rig :) Truthfully, I didn't know Victoria existed before I met her...lol

lduguay
11-21-06, 03:02 PM
NCIX is very customer oriented, would be great if they had something on the east coast. I RMA'd my dead 8800 Purolator Air this morning. Hopefully i'll get a new one next week. Now i'm running SLI with 7800GTX's so the wait is not so bad.