PDA

View Full Version : Philips 230WP7NS or Dell 2407WFP?

gilboa
11-20-06, 11:02 AM
I'm looking for a (relatively) cheap 24" and these two are the only two left. (Everything else is twice as expensive here)

AFAICS the Dell suffers from blurry text (A0-A1) and banding (A0-A3) problems.
I couldn't find anything tangible about the Philips - good, or bad.
In both cases, the local rep replaces the LCD if any stuck/dead-pixels are found.

The screen will mostly be used for coding (under vi ;)) and gaming (Mostly
FPS).

Oh, and I should point out that I'm rather inclined to get the Philips unit.

- Gilboa

Bearclaw
11-20-06, 11:08 AM
Dell 2407WFP.

End thread.

DiscipleDOC
11-20-06, 11:20 AM
Reopen thread. :p
Why do you say that, Bearcrainger?

hirantha
11-20-06, 11:32 AM
get the dell and make sure its revision A03. well then again you got nothing to make sure cuz Dell wont Disappoint you.

gilboa
11-20-06, 11:40 AM
Pro/cons?

Bearclaw
11-20-06, 12:05 PM
Reopen thread. :p
Why do you say that, Bearcrainger?
Bearcrainger?! Woah...

DiscipleDOC
11-20-06, 12:06 PM
Bearcrainger?! Woah...
:p

Bearclaw
11-20-06, 04:47 PM
I'm looking for a (relatively) cheap 24" and these two are the only two left. (Everything else is twice as expensive here)

AFAICS the Dell suffers from blurry text (A0-A1) and banding (A0-A3) problems.
I couldn't find anything tangible about the Philips - good, or bad.
In both cases, the local rep replaces the LCD if any stuck/dead-pixels are found.

The screen will mostly be used for coding (under vi ;)) and gaming (Mostly
FPS).

Oh, and I should point out that I'm rather inclined to get the Philips unit.

- Gilboa

I don't know. I have always heard excellent things from the A3 version. I heard it was awesome. Quite a few people in this forum have one. Plus, Dell's Customer Service is excellent so if you have any problems it shouldn't be a problem getting a new onew.

gilboa
11-21-06, 06:43 AM
I don't know. I have always heard excellent things from the A3 version. I heard it was awesome. Quite a few people in this forum have one. Plus, Dell's Customer Service is excellent so if you have any problems it shouldn't be a problem getting a new onew.

Anyone has first hand experience with the A3?

- Gilboa

Heinz68
11-22-06, 10:27 PM
I don't know anything about the Philips 230WP7NS but did read just about all about the Dell 2407WFP and the
BenQ FP241W.
The BenQ might cost about couple hundred more but it's definitely better choice if it fits your budget.

About the rev A03
Dell 2407WFP had lots of problems with banding beside others.
The revision A02 did fix horizontal banding but only in desktop mode but the vertical banding was still there.
Some new owners but not all report that they don't notice the vertical banding anymore in revision A03.
Dell claims nothing else was fixed in rev A03 but some language fixes in the OSD (On Screen Display).

Few posters at Dell forum speculate that Dell wont admit what really was fixed in version A03, so that Dell does not have to exchange all the A02ís.

Anyway if most rev A03 have no longer vertical banding it could have also been achieved by some changes on the production line and better quality control but be aware the fixes apply only in desktop mode.

stevemedes
11-23-06, 02:29 AM
Bearcrainger?! Woah...

I prefer Craingbearkillkup

crainger
11-23-06, 03:13 AM
I prefer Craingbearkillkup

I prefer STFU nubs!

:D

gilboa
11-23-06, 05:47 AM
OK. Thanks people.
I decided to risk it and get the DELL. (Especially considering DELL's new "replace the unit - no matter what defect are found" policy)
Got the unit last night.
- It's A03.
- All 2304000 pixel are accounted for.
- No banding what-so-ever. (At lest non that I can see)

The unit has two problems.
- The unit isn't standing well, strait. The left corner is about 3mm higher then the right one.
- Lower-right back-lighting is a bit non uniform - though, it took me half an hour to notice it.

- Gilboa

Heinz68
11-23-06, 09:03 AM
Congratulation on your choice.

About the 2 problems.
Can't believe Dell still did not fixed the stand problem since quite few owners reported about it since day one.

Do you notice the back lighting problem only on test patterns or can you notice it even just little and not all times by normal usage.
If you can notice it watching videos or playing games you might always kind of look for it and that might prevent you from fully enjoying the monitor and you should exchange it, probably you get more lucky next time.

gilboa
11-23-06, 09:22 AM
Can't believe Dell still did not fixed the stand problem since quite few owners reported about it since day one.

Sigh... Well, I guess that's the reason why the 2407 is so (relatively) cheap...

Do you notice the back lighting problem only on test patterns or can you notice it even just little and not all times by normal usage.

For now, I could only see it if I use a bright uniform test image. (White/Red).

If you can notice it watching videos or playing games you might always kind of look for it and that might prevent you from fully enjoying the monitor and you should exchange it, probably you get more lucky next time.

I doubt it.
I'll keep a close eye on it just in case.

- Gilboa