PDA

View Full Version : X2 4600+ Temperatures to high?

zillatech
11-20-06, 12:15 PM
I just upgraded an older 3800+ A64 with a new X2 4600+ and used the stock HSF from a 4800+ model I had available. It's the one that comes with the Opteron series too.

Reviewed @ MadShrimps here (http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1596&articID=399)

I cleaned off the stock thermal pad and used Artic Silver 5 and even though the system is working fine & stable, I think my temperatures are a bit high.

Idle temps = 46c-48c

Load temps = 48c-52c

My motherboard is a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum which has a crappy placement for the CPU (Sandwiched between the Video and RAM).

I was thinking about replacing the stock 80mm fan with an adjustable Thermaltake fan to manually raise the RPM's

Are my temps too high or about average? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Zillatech ~

zillatech
11-20-06, 02:01 PM
BTW ~ I am NOT overclocking the CPU, it is running @ the stock 2.4GHz and stock voltage.

Tr1cK
11-20-06, 02:46 PM
Idle looks high. Load doesn't look bad. The 2 to 4 degree delta is next to nothing. Are you sure you weren't under load when you checked the idle temps? Mine is showing 29-30c idle right now.

DiscipleDOC
11-20-06, 03:00 PM
Have you tried updating the bios? Maybe there's a newer bios that will keep the temp down...?

zillatech
11-20-06, 03:19 PM
Yep, those are the Idle temps on a regular basis & I am running the latest BIOS. It is an older Motherboard though. I might try re-seating the HS later. Maybe I used too much Arctic Silver? I thought it was just a little but who knows.

Tr1cK
11-20-06, 05:20 PM
Almost forgot that I did have one of those boards with my x2. I think it may be the board's BIOS just not reading correctly.

Idle is sitting around 31c-32c right now for me. Loading it up with Prime95 on both cores as I'm typing....topped out at 50-51c and holding after a few minutes.

This is at 1.39v as reported by my temp monitor.

I am using a Thermaltake Silent Boost & AS5 with an adaptor to use a 92mm Silverstone FM92 fan (110mm in 92mm frame) @2600rpm. I also have a side port right above it and 3- 80mm fans exhausting.

As far as the AS5, I believe you should use about as much as the size of half a BB after you have rubbed it in to both surfaces and then wiped clean with a dry paper towel. At least thats always what I have done.

BTW, Is your case well vented?

zillatech
11-20-06, 06:01 PM
My case is well ventilated but I might have put too much AS5 on. It could also be the BIOS reading incorrectly but Iím not worried too much. I only put this upgrade in because I want to keep my AGP setup for another couple of months (till I build an entirely new rig).

I will reseat the HSF and try it again.

Thanks for the information though, it gives me a good frame of reference.

zillatech
11-20-06, 06:28 PM
I think too much Arctic Silver is my problem. I just found these instructions on Artic Silver's Website.

Just an FYI for anyone that hasn't seen this or does not know

Instructions for Arctic Silver 5 (http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm)

john19055
11-20-06, 06:59 PM
If it doe'nt get no hotter then 52c on load then you have nothing to worrie about.

zillatech
11-27-06, 11:32 AM
For the curious or just an FYI,

My temps are much better now & I never had to reset the heatsink or change anything. All I did was plug the HSF into the Motherboard 3-pin power connector instead of going straight into the power supply. I believe that the fan on the heatsink was spinning much to slow and not cooling enough before. My temps are now:

33-35c = Idle

41-43c = Max Load (100% cpu usage)

Much better :D