PDA

View Full Version : FORCEWARE "X" DELAYED.......

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

anthonyl
11-20-06, 03:28 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35847

Gee thanks Nvidia!

Its almost like a car company releasing a brand new sports car........but forgetting to tell people it DOSNT HAVE AN ENGINE!!!

Ronin
11-20-06, 03:32 PM
I say again, what difference does it make? Vista is NOT commercially available to the public until January 30th. People are blowing this majorly out of proportion, and I'd venture that a TON of people who have Vista RTM now have it illegally. So, unless you're an MSDN subscriber, MVLS, or you're a system builder, you honestly have no room to bitch.

jolle
11-20-06, 03:33 PM
Um.. wasnt it the Inq that reported that it was coming when it didnt?
So.. seems to me they got that from their "sources" as they say, and then it didnt happen as they said, and now they say NV delayed it..
Any other sources that claimed that it WAS coming last week? have NV said anything?

I mean whats the rush with a DX10 driver? Vista isnt in stores yet afaik, and there isnt a single peice of DX10 software out..
Sure, a Vista driver would be nice, but it doesnt necessarily has to support DX10..
um, well I spose any Vista 8800 driver would prolly do that any old how perhaps?

CaptNKILL
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35847

Gee thanks Nvidia!

Its almost like a car company releasing a brand new sports car........but forgetting to tell people it DOSNT HAVE AN ENGINE!!!
Uhh... this "engineless" piece of silicon and metal I've got is pretty damn fast. :p

Anyway, I'd rather have them get it right than release a buggy driver.

anthonyl
Whats Vista?

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 03:35 PM
Whats Vista?
:|

jolle
11-20-06, 03:35 PM
Whats Vista?
I belive its a "view" or somesuch..

Ronin
11-20-06, 03:36 PM
Whats Vista?

Umm..yeah, hi...DX10 driver = Vista compatible. Why, pray tell, would you post about something that you don't even know about? lol

Q
11-20-06, 03:41 PM
I say again, what difference does it make? Vista is NOT commercially available to the public until January 30th. People are blowing this majorly out of proportion, and I'd venture that a TON of people who have Vista RTM now have it illegally. So, unless you're an MSDN subscriber, MVLS, or you're a system builder, you honestly have no room to bitch.

Forceware X, I believed, was supposed to be for XP as well. I hope this would mean a fully functional and working 8800 driver. The 91.07s, the only official driver, slow down to 10-20fps in most games after a few restarts. The WHQL drivers are OK, but are still broken in a lot of areas. They also have some installation issues. The drivers on the CD were mediocre at best and are limited as well.

There is some room for bitching.

Edit: Finally read the link and saw that it specifically mentioned a DX10 driver, not Foreceware X. I guess that kinda makes a difference..

DarkJedi664
11-20-06, 03:43 PM
Well I know for one thing, as a official Beta Tester of Vista for MS, we got free copies of Vista that we're able to download right now. Yes, the majority of people using Vista right now is actually pirating it, but the people who are beta testers, they should have a driver made available, just as much as MSDN users should too. They "should" get a driver out by the 30th as that's when businesses are able to buy it officially.

DRen72
11-20-06, 04:24 PM
Whats Vista?

Maybe you're kidding, maybe you're not. Either way I'll bite just to be nice. Check out these web sites...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/ and

http://winsupersite.com/vista/

fatal1ty
11-20-06, 04:28 PM
Vista is the devil's spawn. The OS that MS thinks you will buy to play a crappy game like Halo 2 because they will only allow gamers to have DX10 in it.

Vista is that piece of blackmail software Microsoft is going to screw us all with soon. I hated the beta.

F_L_C
11-20-06, 04:30 PM
I was under the impression that Forceware "X" would be the next unified driver (ie FW 1xx.xx after 9x.xx) that would support the entire NV family, including G80, and would be available for x86/x64 XP/Vista. Or maybe that's too difficult to pull off?

monkeydust
11-20-06, 04:50 PM
I just want a driver for the 8800 that does overscan reduction adjustment properly. I'll take it for either XP or Vista64.

DarkJedi664
11-20-06, 04:51 PM
Vista is the devil's spawn. The OS that MS thinks you will buy to play a crappy game like Halo 2 because they will only allow gamers to have DX10 in it.

Vista is that piece of blackmail software Microsoft is going to screw us all with soon. I hated the beta.
lol noobs make me laugh :)

fatal1ty
11-20-06, 05:12 PM
lol noobs make me laugh :)

Yeah, I'm not a N00b. I cannot wait till Crysis comes out for DX9.0L on XP and DX10 for Vista. Proving that you dont need DX10 to make games that look like DX10. Microsoft will realize you cannot sell an OS based on gaming alone - let alone Halo 2. You're a jackass and the perfect customer for MS - a fool and his money will soon part - apparently you've got your $400 all ready to spend. :D

DarkJedi664
11-20-06, 05:15 PM
Are you dense? DX9L is NOT coming out for XP PERIOD! Vista is the best OS I've ever used, and I have not had a single crash since I've been testing it. And I wont be spending $400 on it, since I got it free from MS for beta testing it. Keep on living in your little cave, but Crysis is a Vista only game!

fatal1ty
11-20-06, 05:25 PM
Are you dense? DX9L is NOT coming out for XP PERIOD! Vista is the best OS I've ever used, and I have not had a single crash since I've been testing it. And I wont be spending $400 on it, since I got it free from MS for beta testing it. Keep on living in your little cave, but Crysis is a Vista only game!

Vista is bloated garbage. This is the next Windows ME.

Yea, free for beta testing - I bet you've got the leaked Bill Gates distro :captnkill: I love n00bs!

http://www.crysis-online.com/Information/System%20Requirements/
Crysis will run on both DX9 & DX10 as well as Windows XP and Windows Vista.

These specs are surprisingly low compared to what many of us were expecting, as Crysis certainly contains some jaw-dropping visuals. It is interesting to note, however, that Vista and DirectX 10 are recommended, but a DirectX10 card is not. This may be just because there aren't any on the market yet, but it could also mean all those awesome visuals are just DirectX 9 code...which would mean a substantial bar-raising for other game manufacturers and what they do with the older hardware.
Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07/24/crysis_minimum_specs_released/

Yeah, ok - Vista only. Sheesh.

F_L_C
11-20-06, 05:31 PM
Maybe he's thinking of Alan Wake. That'll be Vista-only for sure.

Q
11-20-06, 05:34 PM
Vista is bloated garbage. This is the next Windows ME.

That's a pretty strong statement. Is it more bloated than XP? Yes. Is it at least a bit more functional due to the bloat? Yes. Can you remove most of the bloat? Yes.

The same people who attacked XP as "bloat" and were W2k fanboys are pulling the same thing here. You can disable most of the bloat in Vista just like you could strip down XP to be more/less W2k. Most of the "bloat" is actually stuff that is going to make computing a lot safer for novices. I don't care if its copied from Macs/Unix or whatever, certain changes have finally been made that have been needed for over a decade.

Windows ME was rushed out of the door as a stopgap solution. It was horrible in every since of the word and offered NOTHING but a broken System Restore option. Vista has been delayed ad nasuem to make sure that we never see another ME situation.

I can't wait until 5-6 years from now when Vienna is rolling out and everyone labels it "bloatware" and sing the praises of Vista.

yehuda
11-20-06, 05:40 PM
Yea, free for beta testing - I bet you've got the leaked Bill Gates distro :captnkill: I love n00bs!

I can't find the link, but if you beta tested and submitted a bug, you get vista for free (saw this in one of the devs blog. maybe msdn?)

DRen72
11-20-06, 05:53 PM
As a beta tester for Vista, my unbiased opinion is that right now its far less impressive than XP. However, thats primarily due to the lack of drivers that matter to guys like us...video drivers and sound drivers that don't work right. Vista has some nice "improvements" but at the same time it is a bit dumbed down and less technical than XP. To me that means I can not tailor it as well as I'd like, but I'm holding off for 3rd party add-ons to fix those things. Plus there is hope with Vista Ultimate Extras which will be the official add-on's for Vista. Qlitchford makes very valid points and Fatal1ty is no noob and your each right in a sense. I can see why Fatal1ty would hate the beta...I didn't care for it either, but Qlitchford is on the right track by implying that it will get more refined once it hits the streets.

So, how about those Forceware X drivers???? :)

fatal1ty
11-20-06, 06:24 PM
That's a pretty strong statement. Is it more bloated than XP? Yes. Is it at least a bit more functional due to the bloat? Yes. Can you remove most of the bloat? Yes.

The same people who attacked XP as "bloat" and were W2k fanboys are pulling the same thing here. You can disable most of the bloat in Vista just like you could strip down XP to be more/less W2k. Most of the "bloat" is actually stuff that is going to make computing a lot safer for novices. I don't care if its copied from Macs/Unix or whatever, certain changes have finally been made that have been needed for over a decade.

Windows ME was rushed out of the door as a stopgap solution. It was horrible in every since of the word and offered NOTHING but a broken System Restore option. Vista has been delayed ad nasuem to make sure that we never see another ME situation.

I can't wait until 5-6 years from now when Vienna is rolling out and everyone labels it "bloatware" and sing the praises of Vista.

Well I call anything that is dog slow bloatware, whether it's shoddy coding or just dumping too many system resources into a 3d interface - you call it. I don't feel there is a need for Vista because Windows XP does everything I, and everyone else needs it to do. Personally I hated Windows 2k - I was never a w2k fanboi. Windows ME was put out for MS to milk the cash cow - Windows Vista is a HUGE cash cow. MS expects everyone to run out and buy DX10 cards because they suddenly decide lets push "games for windows" by putting out an OS that will require a new video card. Do you really think developers like the folks releasing Crysis give a good damn about MS milking the cash cow? Do you think they've spent the last few years getting crysis ready so that everyone who wants to spend $50 on their game will need to spend $500 on a DX10 video card and another $300 for the OS to play it on - Hell no. Thats why Crysis isn't DX10. They realized that dx9 code is still fine and Crysis will be released for dx9, dx10 vista and XP - as should every other NON MS game.

Also, I dont want to buy a new printer and scanner either just because mine are a few years old and there is no way the drivers are going to get updated. Microsoft's cash cow aint getting squeezed by me, screw that.

We don't need Vista, I don't want Vista - does anyone really want to BUY Vista?

fatal1ty
11-20-06, 06:25 PM
I can't find the link, but if you beta tested and submitted a bug, you get vista for free (saw this in one of the devs blog. maybe msdn?)

There are still 500+ bugs in the RTM code. weeee.

jolle
11-20-06, 06:33 PM
Yeah, ok - Vista only. Sheesh.
Crysis is coming for XP and DX9 sure, noone is disputing that. (EDIT: hehe I saw someone acctually did.. oh well /EDIT)
But there is no such thing as DirectX9L.
There used to be a D3d9.L, formerly known as WGF1.0, now known as D3d9Ex (DirectX graphics for Vista, or somesuch), and THAT is only for Vista.
Its basicly DX9 for vista, with some improvments tied to the new drivermodel, and it will also require a WDDM driver to work.

All that has been well known for a long time now, I spose you read that Inq article claiming "DX9L" to be DX10 for XP, dunno where they come up with this stuff really..