PDA

View Full Version : Any Word on the 8800GTX SLI sound issue?

Pages : [1] 2

Chu-Dog
11-20-06, 05:07 PM
I know it hasn't been that long since launch but im wondering if theres been any word on a fix for the snap crackling and popping i get in most of my 3D apps when SLI is enabled.:(
Im dying to use these evga 8800gtxes in SLI.
to keep my sanity, Single GPU ftl.
anyone hear anything?

jAkUp
11-20-06, 05:08 PM
Not yet. Nvidia is working on the issue.

J-Mag
11-20-06, 07:20 PM
Supposedly this problem is fixed with a re-install of the latest DX 9c.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123829&page=2

Chu-Dog
11-20-06, 08:34 PM
Supposedly this problem is fixed with a re-install of the latest DX 9c.

The guy who did this has a different chipset im using 590Sli, Hes using 680

jAkUp
11-20-06, 11:52 PM
Here it is guys for the 680i motherboard :) Give it a shot...

Remember this is BETA!

Extract to a bootable disk, type NVFL_TRI.EXE NF68_BETA.BIN at the command prompt

www.evga.com/download/nf68_beta_bios.zip

Muppet
11-21-06, 12:10 AM
Does it work ok, my motherboard and second card arrive tomorrow

ArrowMk84
11-21-06, 12:12 AM
More importantly, will this work on non-reference 680i boards, like the Striker?

TiKiMaN1
11-21-06, 12:13 AM
More importantly, will this work on non-reference 680i boards, like the Striker?

Someone give me an extra 8800 GTX and I will tell you for sure.;)

Muppet
11-21-06, 12:16 AM
Personally i wouldn't try it, i very much doubt it will work anyway. Seeing as the motherboards both have different hardware, even though they are both 680i boards

nippyjun
11-21-06, 12:19 AM
i read a post that the problem went away for someone who put the second vid card in the closer slot and used a flexible shorter sli connector to hook the cards to eachother.

jAkUp
11-21-06, 12:21 AM
i read a post that the problem went away for someone who put the second vid card in the closer slot and used a flexible shorter sli connector to hook the cards to eachother.

What I find strange about that is the 680i motherboard will not allow you to boot with 2 cards in those slots, you would need a card in the 3rd slot.

Anyways, I have flashed this BIOS and been testing for an hour or so, and I am happy to report that the crackling that I was experiencing in CoH, FEAR, and Splinter Cell are now gone (nana2)

Muppet
11-21-06, 12:25 AM
What I find strange about that is the 680i motherboard will not allow you to boot with 2 cards in those slots, you would need a card in the 3rd slot.

Anyways, I have flashed this BIOS and been testing for an hour or so, and I am happy to report that the crackling that I was experiencing in CoH, FEAR, and Splinter Cell are now gone (nana2)
That's great news, i've got a Lan this weekend and i wanted to show of the new setup :D

J-Mag
11-21-06, 12:53 AM
The guy who did this has a different chipset im using 590Sli, Hes using 680

same south bridge though, and thats where one would expect a sound problem to be.

Muppet
11-21-06, 01:49 AM
same south bridge though, and thats where one would expect a sound problem to be.
I thought they where both the same Northbridge, just the Southbridge was different alah C55. I saw a picture of an Asus Striker board with the heatsink off. It had 590 written on the Chipset.

skypx
11-21-06, 02:50 AM
Here it is guys for the 680i motherboard :) Give it a shot...

Remember this is BETA!

Extract to a bootable disk, type NVFL_TRI.EXE NF68_BETA.BIN at the command prompt

www.evga.com/download/nf68_beta_bios.zip

I extracted the downloaded file to a floppy and and typed in the "NVFL_TRI.EXE NF68_BETA.BIN" at the a:/ prompt. It didn't work. :(

jAkUp
11-21-06, 02:52 AM
I extracted the downloaded file to a floppy and and typed in the "NVFL_TRI.EXE NF68_BETA.BIN" at the a:/ prompt. It didn't work. :(

Rename NF68_BETA.BIN to NF68.bin,

Then at the command prompt type nfvl_tri.exe nf68.bin

skypx
11-21-06, 02:55 AM

Thank you.

skypx
11-21-06, 03:22 AM

Thanks again, so far the new beta bios fixed the sound issues in Half Life 2 Episode one and surprisingly it also fixed and intermittent wireless mouse problem I've been experiencing.

ArrowMk84
11-21-06, 07:09 AM
What the hell was I thinking? This is a bios, not a driver patch! :thinker:

vmsein
11-21-06, 01:10 PM
Must you have a Creative sound card installed in order to apply the BIOS update? I'm hoping this beta BIOS will also fix the sound problems with the motherboard onboard sound, but I can't seem to apply the BIOS using the floppy disk method eventhough I renamed the BIOS to NF68.bin. Anyone have any ideas?

jAkUp
11-21-06, 01:34 PM
Must you have a Creative sound card installed in order to apply the BIOS update? I'm hoping this beta BIOS will also fix the sound problems with the motherboard onboard sound, but I can't seem to apply the BIOS using the floppy disk method eventhough I renamed the BIOS to NF68.bin. Anyone have any ideas?

Try downloading this file:
ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/nf68_beta.exe

Double click, and it will write the floppy for you :)

Chu-Dog
11-21-06, 02:00 PM
call me old fashioned but im using the 590SLI AMD chipset. any news for a bios update for Asus M2N32-SLI deluxe?

vmsein
11-21-06, 04:20 PM
Try downloading this file:
ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/nf68_beta.exe

Double click, and it will write the floppy for you :)

This worked!! Thank you very much jakUp, EVGA, and NVIDIA. This beta BIOS has cleared up the sound issues I was having using the onboard sound, which is only temporary until Danger Den releases their waterblocks for the 8800GTXs, thus freeing up the bottom PCI slot for my X-Fi.

jAkUp
11-21-06, 04:47 PM
Great, that's really good news!
Does this BIOS work with the nTune Updater?

EDIT: Sound bug is still there in FEAR MP. BIOS update worked. Maybe I have to reset the BIOS again... will do that now.

EDIT2: Didn't help, I still get the bug! What drivers are you using for the Chipset and X-Fi?

Make sure that you are updating it in pure DOS mode with a floppy disk, the Windows update utility does not work.

lduguay
11-21-06, 05:08 PM
This worked!! Thank you very much jakUp, EVGA, and NVIDIA. This beta BIOS has cleared up the sound issues I was having using the onboard sound, which is only temporary until Danger Den releases their waterblocks for the 8800GTXs, thus freeing up the bottom PCI slot for my X-Fi.
Can't you fit your X-Fi in the PCI slot next to the blue PCI-e?