PDA

View Full Version : Declaring the Death of Neon and Case Windows

Pages : [1] 2

DaveW
11-20-06, 06:53 PM
I'm probably premature on this one but...

I am declaring that neon, led fans and case windows are no longer cool.

They were cool when everyone else had beige PCs. When cutting fans holes, installing windows and painting your rig was a task that took several days. Now everybody has black or silver PC with blue neon.

Neon is to PCs what a spoiler is on a Honda Civic. Such a thing is to be mocked and laughed at.

Agree, disagree? Vote in the poll.

Dr@Home
11-20-06, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't call the lights lame, but it is nothing special or unique any more.
Case windows on the other hand are nice... if your case is clean that is. :D

I do consider cases with alot of lights built in all over lame though.
Ex- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811145047

CaptNKILL
11-20-06, 07:02 PM
Its been easy to buy pre-made cases with windows, lights and all the "bling" you want for probably 4 or 5 years. I don't think there is much originality in it anymore.

I plan on adding one LED fan to the top of my P180B case just so it has some sort of color to it, but I like not having a window. My last case had one and it was more annoying than cool.

OWA
11-20-06, 07:06 PM
I don't currently have cases with a window but I'm not adverse to them. I also kind of like the lights.

Inf1n1tyComplex
11-20-06, 07:11 PM
In the winter i set all my case fans to low place my computer in the bed under my covers and use the lights from the case to read while the heat from the dual 7950gx2 in sli and cpu keeps me warm...(nana2)

jAkUp
11-20-06, 07:28 PM
I am out of the "case modding" phase. I am more into stuff that looks cool, like nice wiring, watercooling with nice blocks, etc. I still like case Windows :)

Bman212121
11-20-06, 07:35 PM
I'm probably premature on this one but...

I am declaring that neon, led fans and case windows are no longer cool.

They were cool when everyone else had beige PCs. When cutting fans holes, installing windows and painting your rig was a task that took several days. Now everybody has black or silver PC with blue neon.

Neon is to PCs what a spoiler is on a Honda Civic. Such a thing is to be mocked and laughed at.

Agree, disagree? Vote in the poll.

Dems fighting words! (lee63)

Slapping a led fan into a beige case would be silly, but I really don't think that a fully decked out case is lame compared to a standard white or black case.

Even though they these options have been available for a long period of time, doesn't mean that everyone has them. At an enthusiast site like this, there are a lot more custom cases. I think I'm the only person I know who actually has a fully light up system with a side panel.

Here is an old picture of my rig:
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL506/2293564/4495582/201445700.jpg

A picture can't even do justice to what that actually looks like when the lights are off.

I'm just not seeing how a case like this looks better.
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL506/2293564/4495582/206670814.jpg

Bman212121
11-20-06, 07:38 PM
I am out of the "case modding" phase. I am more into stuff that looks cool, like nice wiring, watercooling with nice blocks, etc. I still like case Windows :)

I'd still consider wiring jobs as case modding and what not. I can see not physically taking a dremel to the case and making holes, but running wiring, adding in things that look cool, and windows are all still part of customization to me.

Bearclaw
11-20-06, 07:50 PM
I like windows. I like to make my case neat on the inside and then have the window.

Q
11-20-06, 07:52 PM
No longer cool?

I ****ing hope so.

Nothing makes me cringe more than a Riced out PC. They feature usually the cheapest materials, mediocre thermals, and horrible sound dampening. I have seen very few LED/Modded cases that were classy. A PC should blend in like any high dollar piece of equipment, not a 96 Civic with a wing that doesn't make it under 10" overpasses.

Bman212121
11-20-06, 07:58 PM
I like windows. I like to make my case neat on the inside and then have the window.

I'd agree. I think what is lame is if you have a window, but just leave all the wires in a big ass mess. That kind of defeats the purpose.

einstein_314
11-20-06, 08:06 PM
I like windows and a nice neat rig. I currently have a window and no LEDs anywhere (except power and HD activity lights of course). I've never really seen the point of lights...sure it looks kinda cool. But with a bajillion LEDs shining in my face is not my idea of a good time.

J-Mag
11-20-06, 08:07 PM
It's basically like your blacklight poster phase in college. Yeah it was cool then and you may have a secret urge for it in a gaming room of a new house, but it will never be your primary decor again.

Also, I remember the horrible QC on the inverter boards for CCFLs. I don't know if I want those things even plugged into my primary PSU.

Pierce
11-20-06, 08:45 PM
I like case windows. I love the looks of green UV coolant lit under a green cathode. I like the looks of all that UV stuff. I hate the ones that aren't color-coordinated but I don't see why people have such a problem with it. It looks nice to me, especially in the dark.:captnkill:

DaveW
11-20-06, 10:22 PM
Here is an old picture of my rig:
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL506/2293564/4495582/201445700.jpg

I'm just not seeing how a case like this looks better.
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL506/2293564/4495582/206670814.jpg

I agree that the plain beige is boring, however there are cases that look classy and elegant without looking whorish. Your neon case is saying "hey soldier boy, me sucky sucky, fifteen dollar" and im like "no way woman, you look more worn-in than my tennis shoes... it would be like tossing a pickle down a hall way" and shes saying "okay, okay, ten dollar"... like damn ho! get away from me! I don't need no computer viruses!

... actually that beige case that that innocent girl next door thing going on....

stncttr908
11-20-06, 11:29 PM
I've grown out of it myself. My next one may have a few LED fans, but that's about it. Probably no window either.

snowmanwithahat
11-20-06, 11:35 PM

I do consider cases with alot of lights built in all over lame though.
Ex- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811145047

i totally agree, ALOT of cases are very overdone, but there's some that really look great with a window and a few lights... Jakup's is one, this is my fav... for sale on crazypc.com... simple mods such as a window, and the mesh in front looks classy, but it's not overdone by any means
http://www.crazypc.com/images/cases/pcv1000clearview/clearviewtopwhitehuge.jpg

Bearclaw
11-21-06, 12:17 AM
Agreed. Jakups' is my new fav. (nana2)

Inf1n1tyComplex
11-21-06, 12:23 AM
I agree that the plain beige is boring, however there are cases that look classy and elegant without looking whorish. Your neon case is saying "hey soldier boy, me sucky sucky, fifteen dollar" and im like "no way woman, you look more worn-in than my tennis shoes... it would be like tossing a pickle down a hall way" and shes saying "okay, okay, ten dollar"... like damn ho! get away from me! I don't need no computer viruses!

... actually that beige case that that innocent girl next door thing going on....
The neon case may look like a cheap wh0re... but to me that beige case looks like an old granny... If it was a choice between the cheap wh0re or the old lady id go with the cheap wh0re at least i could use a :condom: to keep me protected...

Imbroglio
11-21-06, 06:43 AM

i don't mind the windows at all, as for the lights, i've never cared for them, i actually had an led on an old EPoX mobo that had a bright red led that i disconnected.

Bman212121
11-21-06, 08:09 PM

(rofl2) I guess I've never seen any glowing *****s, but I definetly would stay away from them. :p

I actually have that beige case, and it looks cheap as hell, and isn't very practical. I'd agree that the lights look way overdone in a camera pic, but trust me they look a lot better in person. So is it just the lights that put it over the top for you then? If I turned em off would that turn you on to my *****ish case?? :captnkill:

Bman212121
11-21-06, 08:11 PM
i totally agree, ALOT of cases are very overdone, but there's some that really look great with a window and a few lights... Jakup's is one, this is my fav... for sale on crazypc.com... simple mods such as a window, and the mesh in front looks classy, but it's not overdone by any means
http://www.crazypc.com/images/cases/pcv1000clearview/clearviewtopwhitehuge.jpg

QFT. I really like the lights because you can actually see all of the parts inside the pc, if you didn't have them then having the window seems kind of pointless unless your case is in front of a light anyway.

tacos4me
11-21-06, 08:41 PM
I'd rather have my PC be quiet and unnoticeable. I usually leave it on to run uTorrent overnight, and with it being in my bedroom, loud and flashy doesn't work too well for me. :o

If I want to see inside, I'll turn on the light and open the case up. :p

AdmiralHalsey..
11-22-06, 05:03 AM
I've got the brightest case I've ever seen. Two ccf tubes, 9 led fans, all blue. And everyone I know thinks its dorky lol. It's not for them though, Its for me cause I like it, Just another facet to my computer hobby. I mean, was it ever really "cool" to mod a pc case anyway??? I'd say no...So your poll makes no sense as well as being grammatically borked.

a12ctic
11-22-06, 07:47 AM
I have a black case with no side window or leds except a tempt readout in the front, i quite like it.