PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading CPU?

glennalan
11-20-06, 08:44 PM
I have a gateway amd athlon cpu...Does any viewers have any experience with upgrading a stock mobo to a more powerful processor? The info I have is that my stock mobo supports sempron,amd athlon, athlon fx series, and athlon x2 cpus up to 3ghz.
I was thinking of maybe upgrading to an fx or maybe dualcore later. The fx and my current cpu or both sandiegos,socket 939, same fbs, possibly the same voltage...should be an easy upgrade.
My main concern is if I upgrade the cpu will the mobo bios recognize the change and adjust if needed?
I can not adjust the multiplyer with my current bios manually. I think that the difference in the say 3700+ is 11x, fx-55 12or 13x multyplier running at 1.35v.
Have any readers made this type of upgrade and can offer advice?

glennalan
11-20-06, 08:48 PM
Also I would rather not flash my bios...I'm not sure what that does,but I would rather not do that. I called esupport and they said that it would cost
$60 for a bios flash. Could they add features where I could OC with a new
bios...I would prefer to buy a fx-55 and up the multyplier by 1 for fx-57 speeed, but my stock mobo doesn't have OC bios features...would my current
bios just recognize the new fx-55 of 57 chip and run it?

glennalan
11-21-06, 08:38 PM
What I wonder is...if I upgrade from 3700+(2.2ghz) to fx-55(2.6ghz) will the new cpu still be operating at 2.2ghz without changing the BIOS settings?

glennalan
11-23-06, 02:05 AM
I talked to someone today who said if I change my cpu I will need to reformat
my harddrive.

vandalous
11-23-06, 03:34 PM
Wow...

Roadhog
11-23-06, 04:00 PM
huh?

john19055
11-23-06, 08:28 PM
Do you know what motherboard you have right now,that would help.
IMO a prebuild computer useally want let you in the bios to do anything ,If you have a decent case and a decent powersupply I would ditch the motherboard and buy one from newegg.com so you can ajust your BIOs and if they are going to charge you $60 just to flash your Bios,you can buy a ASUS or Gigabyte for that price ,But first I would need to know what you have now in your computer now what CPU ,what motherboard, and what video card what powersupply and the amps it puts out ,and do you have a video card and is it a PCIe or AGP.or is it build into the motherboard.

vmsein
11-23-06, 09:47 PM
I talked to someone today who said if I change my cpu I will need to reformat
my harddrive.
That's the craziest advice I've heard lately. If you upgrade to a motherboard with a different chipset than the one you have now, it is advisable to reformat and do a fresh install of the operating system. But if your current motherboard recognizes your cpu upgrade, then there is no need to reformat.

glennalan
11-24-06, 07:14 PM
I have a gateway 3700+ (2.2GHZ). The gateways mobo is located on the left side of the case instead of the right side...the graphics cards fan points up
instead of down. I haven't seen any mobos to replace this type of setup or I would definitly consider replacing it to access the bios better.
My basic question is if I replace my amd athlon 3700+ with the fx-55 will my
bios recognize the change and run the fx-55 at 2.6ghz.
I've seen one article on the internet where a guy said he upgraded his dual core to a faster dual core processor in a gaeway and it worked. I was hoping that maybe a viewer in this group has made a similar upgrade and knows the
procedure.
Newegg is selling fx-55 cpus for $199.00 with a free 250 gb harddrive and
the sale ends 11/30. That is a good price. It isn't much of an upgrade, but
for the price I'm considering it if it is and easy swap.

vandalous
11-24-06, 10:17 PM
You need to ask Gateway if the BIOS will support that specific CPU. Since you're not on a retail mobo, not many people here will be able to answer that question. IIRC, Gateway uses proprietary hardware, much like Dell, so only the manufacturer can answer your question with any certainty.

As for the CPU upgrade, the only thing you'll need to do is install the AMD drivers and Windows hotfix for a dual-core CPU, if that's what you're moving to. If it's a single-core, then you don't need to do anything in the OS. BIOS setup is a different beast altogether and you'll need to rely on the info from Gateway.

Or you could save some money and get a real mobo, CPU, and case and dump the proprietary stuff. ;)