PDA

View Full Version : Demand for Nvidia G80 chips weak as market expects G84 and G86 lineup

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
11-20-06, 11:38 PM
I don't know if this is old news or new enjoy....

Nvidia's launch of its DirectX 10-compliant GeForce 8800 GPU (codenamed G80) earlier this month seems to have failed to significantly stir up demand for high-end graphics cards, although the new chips took a lead in 3D computing processing, according to sources at Taiwan-based graphics card makers.
Since the G80 is preliminarily targeting the high-end sector, the sources pointed out that Nvidia's forthcoming G84 and G86 GPUs for the entry-level and mid-range segments are likely to play a key role in the GPU market, with the two new GPUs expected to debut in the first quarter of 2007.
Although details of the G84 and G86 are still not available, Nvidia has completed the roadmap for the two chips, with local graphics card makers likely to receive product samples in January or February of next year, the sources stated. The introduction of the G84 and G86 will help Nvidia extend its DirectX 10-compliant GPU lineup and strengthen its ability to effectively compete with ATI's upcoming DirectX 10-enabled R600-series GPUs, said the sources. The market generally expects ATI Technologies to launch its R600-series GPUs in the first quarter of 2007.

|MaguS|
11-20-06, 11:40 PM
Where did you get this news? Considering how many people here upgraded to the 8800GTX I dout that there was a weak demand... maybe Nvidia just was able to meet it actually...

stncttr908
11-20-06, 11:48 PM
Well, high end models are usually just for show and the die hard enthusiast crowd. The real money is mid and low end, as well as integrated graphics products.

vandalous
11-21-06, 12:13 AM
The percentage of high-end, enthusiast users is probably skewed when viewing this forum or others since it tends to be those users that are very active in these areas, giving the appearance that many people upgraded to an 8800GTX.

I always thought that there were a lot of SLi users out there but when I went to GF3, there were about 20-30 of us total out of 300. Before I went 8800GTX, I was the only SLi'er in my immediate group of gaming friends. I still don't know anyone that uses Crossfire either. :P

crainger
11-21-06, 01:23 AM
Low demand?? Since launch, the 8 series has been sold out solid over here. Until yesterday AUSPCMarket had sold out of both the GTS and GTX within minutes of listing them as in stock. Looks like they finally have solid stock at the moment, but prices have risen. If I had grabbed one release day I could have saved myself $50. Still they are now $100 more than what I paid :D

Digital_Trans
11-21-06, 01:30 AM
This information was justified by the following news source.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20061120PD210.html

hemmy
11-21-06, 10:11 AM
you mean you copied and pasted, if it was justified you would have your own info, supported by another source

Digital_Trans
11-21-06, 10:20 AM
you mean you copied and pasted, if it was justified you would have your own info, supported by another source

Dude, this is what it says so take it however you want. Just use vaseline if it's hurts to much. It's guys just like you whom I can't stand on NVNEWS. I report a simple news article and now it's turning into another debate.
Remember, I'm not the one debating this. Secondly, this is NVNEWS - news related to Nvidia's product line.

nekrosoft13
11-21-06, 10:56 AM
demand is not weak

and why would i care about G84 or G86, those are the mid and low level cards.

hirantha
11-21-06, 11:02 AM
Who the hell cares! Right now 8800 performs better than anything out there.. People will be attracted.
and i dont freaking have my 8800 yet. damn you USPS

NoWayDude
11-21-06, 11:05 AM
I think the article to a degree states the obvious. Not everyone will buy a High End card. Normally the large margins are always in the mid/low level segment. Plus the contracts with the IHV's of this world. There was a rumour that Nvidia was sampling G80 chips for mobile parts. Should be interesting to see the result

P.S-Why are people shooting the messenger? I find that a bit odd. He is only pointing up links to an article FFS

Digital_Trans
11-21-06, 11:08 AM
Who the hell cares! Right now 8800 performs better than anything out there.. People will be attracted.

Exactly! I don't give a rat's ass. I only go for top of the line high-end cards myself.

nekrosoft13
11-21-06, 11:29 AM
P.S-Why are people shooting the messenger? I find that a bit odd. He is only pointing up links to an article FFS

its easier to shoot the messenger, as he comes to you, then go out and hunt down the source :captnkill:

Namrok
11-21-06, 11:50 AM
To be honest, I can see how this is true. I mean with the PS3 and the Wii coming out, along with the 360's "killer app", and no high profile PC game that I can think of, just where is the motivation to get a G80 if you aren't part of the usual crowd that must have the biggest and best? It'll be months until Vista comes out, then some time more till DX10, then some time more until a DX10 title that actually uses all the power of the G80! I think this holiday season has more enthusiast dollars being spent on HDTVs and consoles than PC hardware.

AdmiralHalsey..
11-21-06, 12:00 PM
Yes, the hard-core guys will by it no matter what it costs, and more power to em', but I think most gamers are waiting to see what r600 is and what nvidias refresh looks like. I sure wouldn't buy a gts now, then watch a refresh come out that blows it away in january or a little later, I and most others just don't have that much cash.

tacos4me
11-21-06, 12:05 PM

They lost mine too. :thumbdwn:

hirantha
11-21-06, 12:24 PM
They lost mine too. :thumbdwn:
Yeah would you believe them? I don’t even know why the hell they are in business.. I wouldnt have to use them if the freaking Fedex was open at 8 freaking AM.. I’m pissed man.

vmsein
11-21-06, 12:25 PM
You have to remember that computer enthusiasts comprise only a small percentage of the computer buying population, eventhough the enthusiasts are a very influential group that help shape the opinions of everyday buyers.

Digital_Trans
11-21-06, 12:25 PM
To be honest, I can see how this is true. I mean with the PS3 and the Wii coming out, along with the 360's "killer app", and no high profile PC game that I can think of, just where is the motivation to get a G80 if you aren't part of the usual crowd that must have the biggest and best? It'll be months until Vista comes out, then some time more till DX10, then some time more until a DX10 title that actually uses all the power of the G80! I think this holiday season has more enthusiast dollars being spent on HDTVs and consoles than PC hardware.

Exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Dazz
11-21-06, 12:28 PM
Well the G80 range so far is about 3% of the market maybe even less, due to low yield due to large die and high manufatureing costs then yes it will be hard to get and low demand the price range of the 8800 range is out of reach of 99% of the market. Heck Intel have 15% of the market intergrated video. $450+ is too much for most people.

DRen72
11-21-06, 12:40 PM
Well the G80 range so far is about 3% of the market maybe even less...

I bet "WE" are the 3%. To us, it was in high demand and I bet we are the ones that bought all the stock. I know a lot of PC users and no one I know has SLI. The "highest-end" card someone I know has is a 7600GT-AGP card. I may be stretching it some, but hey, if you're into the 8800GTX, I'll get you're going to at least visit NVNEWS, so maybe we are the 3% of the market.

Dazz
11-21-06, 02:57 PM
I myself have put an order for the 8800GTX since i couldn't get my 8800GT plus quad core :( But at least i will be CPU limited for sometime to come.

RupertBanana
11-21-06, 09:16 PM
The problem is that whilst the GTX is powerful, the GTS is really a 7900GTX refresh with DX10 compliance{and no DX10 games are out}, also, the resistor issue was widely reported on www+ the obscene prices...eg, $1300+AUD for the GTX....AHAHAHAHHA, yeah right.

I also suspect that we're gonna get another bigger and badder 8800 just before R600, so this is similar to the 7800fiasco where 7800GTX 256 was sold at 7800GTX 512 prices at launch.

Remember when the 6800's came out you had 3 distinct products, 6800NU, 6800GT, 6800U....and then when the 7800's came out, Nvidia witheld the Ultra equivalent yet still charged top dollar for the GT equivalent.

DaveW
11-21-06, 09:32 PM
Well, high end models are usually just for show and the die hard enthusiast crowd. The real money is mid and low end, as well as integrated graphics products.

True true. Why do you guys think those crappy integrated Intel video chipsets are still so popular? Thats where the real money is. If nVidia could release an integrated chip, that only added $20 to the price of the mobo and supported DX10 features (even if it ran like crap) they'd make a ton of money.

HeavyH20
11-21-06, 10:33 PM
Dodge sells the Viper to enhance the company's image. Chevy does so with the Corvette. The high end cards do little for bottom line, but instead, create a buzz in the media and with consumers. Then, when someone decides to buy a video card, they choose the brand enthusiasts rave about. Choice is oft times not so much about logic as with familiarity. That is why it is so important to come out with these cards first whcih is yet another bruise for ATI. Sure, they will release a competitor, but they are now a follower instead of a leader. People make choices on these perceptions whether valid or not.