PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

Warmachine21
11-21-06, 02:24 PM
I just got a xfx 8800gts and when playing some games it's real jumpy. My computer is ecs rs482-m motherboard amd athlon 64 4000+ 1gig pc3200. Now a couple of weeks ago I bought a 6800gt and it was doing the same. Any help? thanks

hirantha
11-21-06, 02:35 PM
It could be lot of things
do you have a good PSU?
have you done any new BIOS update for the Mobo?
card drivers installed properly?
make sure you dont have a bad transistor card

Warmachine21
11-21-06, 03:04 PM
I have a antec smartpower 2.0 500watt power supply. I will try reinstalling the drivers. I was wondering what settings to use in the nvidia control panel. Thanks

nrdstrm
11-21-06, 04:27 PM
Seems to me it's either A) The Motherboard (ECS isn't the best quality), or the lack of RAM (Alot of games these days really want 2GB!)

ShinaKitsune
11-21-06, 05:37 PM
make sure you have the onboard video disabled, also that it is initializing the pci-e port first in bios.
Otherwise no idea. I have a 7900gs ko in a different computer with the same motherboard and everything is just fine for it.

Warmachine21
11-21-06, 05:48 PM
When i got the card I uninstalled the onboard drivers and when said to restart i turned off put the card in and loaded the drivers. Since i installed it i have uninstalled the drivers and downloaded the forceware 97.02 from nvidia. Is there any special settings in the bios i have to change? Thanks

ShinaKitsune
11-21-06, 06:00 PM
I can't find to disable the onboard in bios now...
but in "Integrated Peripherals" make sure "Init Display First" is set to "PCIEe"
Otherwise, make sure you ran driver cleaner pro and cleaned out the old ati drivers. Could be your ram messing up... also make sure ya have the newest bios, i can't remember if i flashed mine to the newest when I got it or not.

SLippe
11-21-06, 08:37 PM
Getting 2GB of RAM would help.

Warmachine21
11-21-06, 09:20 PM
One thing i forgot to mention is before the I got the video card I was running the onboard card and was having no problems. The game that im have problems with is postal 2 share the pain, when Im playing online the video jumps or jerks. Thanks

DaveW
11-21-06, 09:28 PM
you'll have to follow a process of elimination... first check for background processes and run Spybot S&D. Then start disabling hardware - printers, controllers, usb drives etc and finally internal drives. I once had a rig that seemed to skip every 30th frame, and it was due to the CD drive.

SlieTheSecond
11-21-06, 10:17 PM
One thing i forgot to mention is before the I got the video card I was running the onboard card and was having no problems. The game that im have problems with is postal 2 share the pain, when Im playing online the video jumps or jerks. Thanks

Is it only postal 2? If so do you have the latest patch/updates for it?
I remember when it first came out there where huge loading problems and slowdown that where fixed.

Hmm this is making me wanna install it again. Haven't played that sick perverted in a funny way game in a while :)