View Full Version : NVIDIA 7950 GX2 Quad SLI Question

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
11-21-06, 03:24 PM
Next week I'll be going Quad SLI with EVGA 7950 GX2. Does Quad SLI require
two SLI Bridge connectors or just one?

stncttr908
11-21-06, 03:33 PM
I believe it only requires a single bridge, but I might be mistaken.

On another note, it'd probably be best if you just went with a single 8800GTX.

Digital_Trans
11-21-06, 03:36 PM
I believe it only requires a single bridge, but I might be mistaken.

On another note, it'd probably be best if you just went with a single 8800GTX.

I will only go with an 8900 GTX when ATI rears out with their R600.
I know the 8800 GTX rocks and kicks ass but I'll hold off. Besides it's the first DirectX 10 card of it's kind. I'm going to love it when NVIDIA comes out with a refresh next year.

SH64
11-21-06, 09:06 PM
Its pointless to go QuadSLI now that the 8800 is out whatever the reason you give.

anyway , answer to your Q is no .. only 1 bridge is needed.

grimreefer
11-21-06, 09:09 PM
most of us do the opposite...we wont get the refresh because its barely faster than the 8800gtx

Ayahuasca
11-21-06, 09:12 PM
i have discussed my views on quad sli, but they are cited from various review sites. quad sli is simply a bad purchase in terms of bang for buck. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80822

jAkUp
11-21-06, 10:21 PM
For high resolutions with AA/AF its not a bad idea... still decent, obviously dual 8800's would be the better option, but if its a good price, not bad :)

Digital_Trans
11-22-06, 12:35 AM
I got a killer deal on the cards. I'll sell them both once NVIDIA releases the 8900 GTX. Another question, I've got a 600 Watt SinTek power supply. Do you think it will do the job for Quad SLI?

nrdstrm
11-22-06, 01:52 AM
Just curious, but what price did you get on the cards? If it's under $499 US per card, good call, if it's $500 or over, not so hot. You can get 2 8800GTS SLI that will slap that dual GX2 up and down, but thats just my opinion..

Venturi
11-22-06, 08:28 AM
Quad SLi require 2 bridges on the first release of the GX2 and only 1 bridge on the normal retail distribution.

Quad SLI is very fast as long as you play with the drivers, sli profiles, and get under the hood.

Some info for you:

The 7950 is not SLI, it is recognized as a single cards and does sli at the hardware level. 1 7950 does not require you to sli anything.

2 7950s gives you the following choice/headache:
The driver splits up many of the alloctions for a two card SLI, this is relatively efficient with AFR and two "normal" sli cards. However the allocation is not optimized for 4 processing units. Here in lies the rub. The driver, in the majority of cases does not really do "quad core sli" even on the 7950s. It really does "duo core sli". So you get some speed improvements because the cards are internally distributing the load at the hardware level individually.

So the 7950 is a very competent and fast card. But quad sli is not 4X a normal card in processing power. Its more like 2.40x a normal card or .40X more than normal SLI.

I know I will get flamed for the prior statement, but its is the truth. Quad SLI is fast, but it is not 4X like many of us thought.

I did get a high 3dmark 05 score in excess of 24,000. But this was with considerable under the covers tweaking on a specialized sli profile.

So, in a nut shell, quad sli is quite fast, but the driver does not really distribute and recapture the processing power of 4 GPUs. The 7950 is just a faster card than a 7900. Its still a good card as a stand alone and it was priced accordingly to that level.. It would be amazing if nvidia had taken the time to develop a real Quad SLI driver.

2.4X not 4X

Feel free to flame me.

V

nekrosoft13
11-22-06, 08:34 AM
The 7950 is not SLI, it is recognized as a single cards and does sli at the hardware level. 1 7950 does not require you to sli anything.

not really

it still runs in SLI, and requires correct SLI profiles to take advantage of both GPUs.

Venturi
11-22-06, 09:11 AM
not really

it still runs in SLI, and requires correct SLI profiles to take advantage of both GPUs.

Strange, On a single card, I never got the SLI option. I was using the 64 bit driver for MS, but only when I had two cards in did I get the SLI option.

yehuda
11-22-06, 09:28 AM
Strange, On a single card, I never got the SLI option. I was using the 64 bit driver for MS, but only when I had two cards in did I get the SLI option.

Try playing after deleting your profiles :p

In XP 32bit, I have 2 cards shown in device manager for a single 7950gx2.

nekrosoft13
11-22-06, 09:31 AM

on single gx2 sli options are hidden, delete the content of nvapps.xml and your perforamance will go down the drain.

or install nHancer and you will see the hidden sli settings, with nHancer you can do everything on single gx2, just like on normal sli set-up.

enable load balancer, switch between afr, sfr etc...

Venturi
11-22-06, 09:50 AM
on single gx2 sli options are hidden, delete the content of nvapps.xml and your perforamance will go down the drain.

or install nHancer and you will see the hidden sli settings, with nHancer you can do everything on single gx2, just like on normal sli set-up.

enable load balancer, switch between afr, sfr etc...

I agree, I have seen this.

However my original statement was in reference to the enabling of SLI on two 7950s. Both of the prior responces are correct and I agree.

nekrosoft13
11-22-06, 10:06 AM
I agree, I have seen this.

However my original statement was in reference to the enabling of SLI on two 7950s. Both of the prior responces are correct and I agree.

you can disable SLI on 7950, i was able to do so with 96 and 97 series driver. or with nHancer

Digital_Trans
11-22-06, 11:28 AM
Just curious, but what price did you get on the cards? If it's under $499 US per card, good call, if it's $500 or over, not so hot. You can get 2 8800GTS SLI that will slap that dual GX2 up and down, but thats just my opinion..

$325.00 Each Total: $650.00 (nana2)

buffbiff21
11-22-06, 06:28 PM
Theoretically quad sli should be able to beat ONE 8800, but ....
the drivers i beleve are holdin it back. I recently upgraded to one gtx from a gx2, and noticed quite a difference...

but i do hear that quad sli on HUGE resolutions, think 30 inches, with higher AA is pretty much better... if you have the monitor.

SH64
11-22-06, 06:35 PM
Theoretically quad sli should be able to beat ONE 8800, but ....
the drivers i beleve are holdin it back. I recently upgraded to one gtx from a gx2, and noticed quite a difference...

Actually 1 8800GTX is giving me better performance than my previous Quad setup & smoother gameplay.

buffbiff21
11-22-06, 07:27 PM
Actually 1 8800GTX is giving me better performance than my previous Quad setup & smoother gameplay.

Yeah,i kno - that was what i was goin for :o

I mean THEORETICALLY 4 great cards should be able to beat 1 awesome one. I hate having to resort to benchmarks, but they all show that quad sli sometimes lowers performance and that 8800 series dominate.

Digital_Trans
11-22-06, 11:23 PM
Quad SLi require 2 bridges on the first release of the GX2 and only 1 bridge on the normal retail distribution.

Quad SLI is very fast as long as you play with the drivers, sli profiles, and get under the hood.

Some info for you:

2 7950s gives you the following choice/headache:
The driver splits up many of the alloctions for a two card SLI, this is relatively efficient with AFR and two "normal" sli cards. However the allocation is not optimized for 4 processing units. Here in lies the rub. The driver, in the majority of cases does not really do "quad core sli" even on the 7950s. It really does "duo core sli". So you get some speed improvements because the cards are internally distributing the load at the hardware level individually.

So the 7950 is a very competent and fast card. But quad sli is not 4X a normal card in processing power. Its more like 2.40x a normal card or .40X more than normal SLI.

I know I will get flamed for the prior statement, but its is the truth. Quad SLI is fast, but it is not 4X like many of us thought.

I did get a high 3dmark 05 score in excess of 24,000. But this was with considerable under the covers tweaking on a specialized sli profile.

So, in a nut shell, quad sli is quite fast, but the driver does not really distribute and recapture the processing power of 4 GPUs. The 7950 is just a faster card than a 7900. Its still a good card as a stand alone and it was priced accordingly to that level.. It would be amazing if nvidia had taken the time to develop a real Quad SLI driver.

2.4X not 4X

Feel free to flame me.

V

Well said mate! Bump!

nekrosoft13
11-22-06, 11:26 PM
Yeah,i kno - that was what i was goin for :o

I mean THEORETICALLY 4 great cards should be able to beat 1 awesome one. I hate having to resort to benchmarks, but they all show that quad sli sometimes lowers performance and that 8800 series dominate.

quad sli was flawed from the start, and SH64 is right, 8800GTX does beat quad-sli.

Digital_Trans
11-22-06, 11:32 PM
It's just to hold me over until a refresh gets released or I might resell them before then and go for the 8800 GTX SLI. But an 8900 GTX has to be even better. Just like the 7800 GTX came the 7900 GTX only this time 8800 GTX, 8900 GTX and 8059 GX2!
I

nekrosoft13
11-23-06, 12:12 AM
there is just no point for quad

and once you go HDR+AA with much higher IQ, you will never go back

Digital_Trans
11-24-06, 01:51 AM
quad sli was flawed from the start, and SH64 is right, 8800GTX does beat quad-sli.

Where's the benchmarks to prove that 1 8800 GTX can beat a Quad SLI setup? :D I bet it could but I'd like to see the information posted...thanks! :D