PDA

View Full Version : Update on NVIDIA and MSI

Pages : [1] 2

Slappi
02-28-03, 11:52 AM
Turns out that MSI is going to make ATI cards for German PC Manufacturer Medion. Actually the Inquirer *gasp* told of this back in January.

http://inquirerinside.com/default.aspx?article=7230

MSI is not giving up on nVidia they are just put in a position to supply Medion. That is all.

Kev1
02-28-03, 11:57 AM
I just cannot see MSI bailing on Nvidia. They have been very successful together.

I can see MSI building ATI AND NVIDIA video cards, which I think would be a good thing.

Phew :rolleyes: Glad that scare is over :p

MikeC
02-28-03, 11:59 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030228/1155000456_1.html

TORONTO (Dow Jones)--ATI Technologies Inc. scored a large design win at the expense of arch-rival Nvidia Corp. (NasdaqNM:NVDA - News) , according to an analyst report Friday.

"We have learned that Nvidia has lost a large design win at Micro-Star Inc., one of its largest customers," Friedman Billings Ramsey analyst Eric Rothdeutsch said in the note.

The design win was for products produced for Medion, a German retailer, Rothdeutsch said, adding that he believes other Nvidia designs at Micro-Star are at risk, as Micro-Star had been an exclusive Nvidia customer.

Rothdeutsch also said he believes Nvidia's new GeForce FX family will ramp up more slowly than expected due to "low yields" on both discrete and board-level products.

All add-in-board partners are going after the best technology available in the market and we are gaining business in many different places," said Paul Ayscough, head of corporate marketing at ATI Technologies.

Kev1
02-28-03, 12:04 PM
Maybe scare isn't over yet :( But I hope MSI does not bail on Nvidia completely. The NForce2 is still the best chipset for AMD cpu's!

stncttr908
02-28-03, 12:05 PM
I suppose if I were MSI I'd do it too. :drooling:

Slappi
02-28-03, 01:30 PM
Well nVidia just went green on the day so you can chalk up this news as some BS. This news came out back in June 2002 it turns out.

digitalwanderer
02-28-03, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Slappi
Well nVidia just went green on the day so you can chalk up this news as some BS. This news came out back in June 2002 it turns out.

Hubba-wha? Elaborate please?

kyleb
02-28-03, 01:50 PM
i think this just might be a a way to break the whole "you build our videocards only or not at all" bs that goes around. if anyone is in a position to pull this off it would have to be msi. :)

GlowStick
02-28-03, 02:53 PM
msi is big enough to do both

teiresias
02-28-03, 03:05 PM
msi is big enough to do both

It's not a question of whether MSI is big enough to do both, it's a question of whether they're big enough to force Nvidia's hand into letting them do both by giving them the ultematum (sp?) of "either we build Nvidia and ATI cards or ONLY ATI cards, your choice Nvidia."

Of course, I have no idea if ATI has such a policy with their produces too.

kyleb
02-28-03, 03:15 PM
i know a few companies built kryo cards as well as ati ones, i don't think anyone realy messes with anybody but ati or nvidia these days though so it isn't realy an issue considering nvidia's stance.

tazdevl
02-28-03, 03:18 PM
There is one thing a lot of folks haven't taken into consideration. MSI would have some serious marketing issues to deal with if they produced cards by both companies unless they took best in breed for each segment. If they manufactured, 2 high-end, 2-mid, 2-low... things would get very expensive and very confusing for the end-user. Marketing a card for each segment is still going to cost more money unless they get some co-marketing $$$ from ATI & nVIDIA.

Another question is... if they do both cards, will there be any increase in revenue. It always boils down to numbers and it's going to cost more money to manuf both cards, maybe requiring a new line or downtime to configure it.

Yet another question is, given the tiered pricing structure most companies offer (more you buy, less it costs you on a per unit basis)... will that be changed as well or will be companies in essence penalize MSI for manufacturing both cards based on the simple fact that MSI will order less? I'm sure that there are also incentives for purchasing an entire line of GPUs to top it off. That's going to go away.

What is all adds up to is while it sounds like a good idea, it could end up increasing prices for the end-user Especially when you take into account the added marketing expenses (customer has to know the difference between a ATI and nVIDIA based card), GPU acquisition and manufacturing costs.

kyleb
02-28-03, 03:20 PM
well only build what suites the market best in each segment, that is a given. it sounds like a good thing for all of us execpt whoever isn't building the best chips, and they just need to pick up the slack anyway. ;)

GlowStick
02-28-03, 03:53 PM
they could market a diffrent line under a new name

StealthHawk
02-28-03, 04:09 PM
or they could sell different cards in different countries.

Unit01
02-28-03, 05:49 PM
like creative does with nv/us,europe ati/asia
:/ I wonder if it really is profitable that way

os2
02-28-03, 06:10 PM
I think its a good thing. I'm sure MSI will sell both NVidia & ATI based cards without too much of a hitch. No doubt market demand will dictate to a certain extent how much of each. Either way, both graphics companies and the consumer wins.

Regards,

os2

Skinner
02-28-03, 06:16 PM
http://watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030301/image/nfxd4.jpg

http://watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030301/image/nfxd5.jpg

jAkUp
02-28-03, 06:24 PM
what..... when was that taken??!!?!!

DSC
02-28-03, 06:27 PM
That has to be one of the nicer box art and packaging for the FX cards...... :eek: :angel: :angel2:

rwolf
02-28-03, 07:30 PM
Do you have any pictures of ATI cards in MSI packaging?

Just kidding.....;)

Moose
02-28-03, 09:16 PM
I think that MSI wants to ship a product now, ANY product. At this point with the economy in a tailspin and Nvidia not really having their sh*t together, I think MSI has switched to ATI in order to be able to ship something. They sure aren't going to make any money sitting around waiting for Nvidia to finish their chips. It only makes sense that they would switch to ATI since their cards are flying off the shelves.

rwolf
02-28-03, 11:19 PM
Agreed, not to many people are going to want DirectX8.x cards now that DirectX9.0 is out.

marqmajere
03-01-03, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by rwolf
Agreed, not to many people are going to want DirectX8.x cards now that DirectX9.0 is out.

Except maybe the folks who can't afford to buy a DX9 card. Or those people who build second rigs. OR those people who don't even know what Direct X is. Or how bout those few who go to Office Depot to buy thier computers and get ripped off because they have no freaking clue on what a computer is. Or those folks who don't give a rats @$$ weither or not they have the most cutting edge hardware.

According to Futuremark, most of the systems that run thier 2001SE benchmark are still ancient and should have been put out to pasture a year and a half ago. Systems that still run Pentium II's and DX7-DX8 graphics cards.

People aren't going to upgrade unless they have a reason to. With games makers still putting out games that can be run on a PIII 700 mHz proc and a voodoo 3, why should they upgrade? Nothing utilizes DX9 enough to warrent an upgrade even in the near future. No games. No software. Nothing.

If you feel the need to upgrade to a DX9 card then by all means do. I don't see anything wrong with that, but will the demand for DX8 cards dwindle dramatically? No way.

GlowStick
03-01-03, 01:40 AM
Why dose everon care about what DirectX a card supports. Games are so much better if they use OpenGL. Any game that supports both paths allways run better in openGL. And can be ported to alot of OS's very easily.