PDA

View Full Version : I finally made the move back to Nvidia

nicorulez
11-21-06, 07:21 PM
Well guys, I finally decided to make the move back from ATI. The first step was getting a kick ass C2D laptop with the Nvidia 7900 GTX Go chip. Very nice performance and excellent fidelity. I started wondering if the ATI fanbois had clouded my mind. After reading countless glowing reviews about the 8800, I got myself the EVGA 8800GTX. Incredible card. It runs flawlessly on my AMD FX60 o/c to 2700. I am running Fear EP at 1600 by 1200 with 8XAA/16XAF at over 75 FPS. I got a question though, with the IQ dialed up as I am doing; would upgrading to a C2D desktop PC do me any better. I am curious. Also, I don't what crack the Rage3d boys are smoking as the 8800 definitely has it all over the 1900 in features, IQ and obviously speed. Never thought I would be so happy to spend 600+ bucks on a vid card. Nvidia is the way to go.

hirantha
11-21-06, 07:28 PM
Welcome to nVidia World!
if you are a gamer PC is the way to go laptop wont do justice no matter how strong it is. thats what i think.

Dazz
11-21-06, 07:30 PM
Some laptops are pretty damn powerful, but they an't really laptops think of them as desktop replacements. Don't try to play games on your lap with these things unless you want to sterilize yourself lol :D

Treason
11-21-06, 07:45 PM
It was so easy for nVidia to demolish the former ATi's 70% market share of the mobile segment in just under a year. I wonder if the nVidia PR team knew this was going to happen all along or they wanted to take out parts of the former ATi market share on a schedule.

SH64
11-21-06, 09:09 PM
A better CPU is always recommended.
it should help esp at places where theres no GPU limitation.

grimreefer
11-21-06, 09:14 PM
nah, dont buy another cpu.
buy a ppu if u really want more computing power.(they are kinda cheap now)
but u shouldnt really need that either

Spartan 117
11-21-06, 10:11 PM
Green-Nvidia is good
Red-ATI is bad

smart move to the green side :)

nicorulez
11-21-06, 10:19 PM
Very happy with it. Unfortunately, I was blinded by red the first time and have an Asus ATI CF MB. Thus, no SLI for me. However, I don't really see the need right now as I can play most of the games on my 24" Dell at near HD resolution at high framerates. I back down in Fear to 16 by 12 with 8AA/16AF but am still getting 75 FPS or so. Is that about right. Also, I am downloading 3DM2006, but on 2005 I got about 14000 with AA/AF as above. I can't stand to bench it natively as it is so ugly. Is that a good score? I will let you know my 2006 scores once I have them. Peace all.

hirantha
11-21-06, 10:19 PM
Green-Nvidia is good
Red-ATI is bad

YEAH! i never thought it that way..

Green is Go
Red is Stop :D

SH64
11-21-06, 10:30 PM
Green-Nvidia is good
Red-ATI is bad

But .. but ATi has gone green (http://ati.amd.com/) too :|

Spartan 117
11-21-06, 10:33 PM
but to us, they are still red ;)

v3rninater
11-22-06, 12:42 AM
We need to answer the question, which is; C2D over his FX60 a better upgrade? I would think it would give you an edge over your FX60 especially if you get a 4mb cache chip. Overclock one of those to 3ghz and you would be flying huge over your FX60. I don't own a FX60 so I wouldn't be one to know exactly, but from what older reviews have said. It is way better then AMD atm.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1

That pretty much explains it. I would recommend the 680i mobo too, actually anan has another article on that as well. Good info to look up, and congrats on your purchases!

nicorulez
11-22-06, 12:48 AM
Thanks V, I read the article and you are very correct. I think I am going to hang onto this system for a bit and then build a barebones C2D or maybe Core Quadro in a few months. Maybe when Crysis or UT2007 comes out. I still think this system I have kicks the hell out of the PS3. That was my original debate, and you guys set me straight. For now, though, I am happy and will wait for the next cycle of C2D's before I upgrade the rest. The card, I must say, surprised me with its performance delta and even IQ over the 1900xtx I had before. Peace all and good night.

Lfctony
11-22-06, 02:07 AM
I don't think the C2D combination is worth the cost if you are upgrading from an already capable system, given that most games are GPU limited. If upgrading from something lower though, it's THE system setup to get.

Quick420
11-27-06, 07:35 PM
I'm from Canada so my first choice was a rageII back in the day,but ever since the tnt nVidia has had a speed edge.Needless to say I never looked back.

mRYellow
11-28-06, 02:32 AM
U guys make me laugh. I too was a nVidia fanboy...back in the TNT days till Geforce4. Then ATi came along with the R300 aka 9700 and really delivered a brilliant card!

I bought this card and simply loved it! One of my fav cards of all time! Then nVidia released their dust buster :o So i go out and buy it and what a dissapointment! So i became a ATi fanboy! :o I owned the x1x00 series card and loved it. IQ was way better than nVidia's 7 series.

But after reading all the great reviews of the 8800 i decided to try nVidia again...and WOW!!! This card kicks ass! Smokes any ATi card out there atm.
Im really happy with it!

So u ask, will i become a nVidia Fanboy again? No! Why u ask? Cause being a fanboy blinds u! In the future i will buy the best...be it ATi or nVidia, AMD or INTEL...it doesn't matter.

We shouldn't be idiots blinded by a certain brand! Its not wrong trting out other hardware. :beer:

mustrum
11-28-06, 04:17 PM
Unbelievable this still happenes.
Nvidia is good and ATI is good. Sometimes the one has the better product sometimes the other and sometimes they are so close it wont matter.

I went from nvidia to ATI and back so often that i stopped counting.
I had the GF 7 series and went to a x1900 series and the ATI was the better card (solo GPU and for IQ mind you). Now the 8800 GTX is out and is definatly the better card by far. We will see what will be wit R600 but the G80 is great and IQ seems to be great too.

People should just leave the brand loving aside and look at the hardware.

Yeah i am digressing i guess. ;)

Enjoy your card. IMo you should keep your CPU until it really starts limiting you. By then you will have much more capable CPU's for less money available.

Edit: MrYellow feels the same i can see. :D

mRYellow
11-28-06, 11:48 PM
Yup! I interested to see what the R600 brings to the table. I must just buy it if it kickass or maybe just upgrade my MOBO and CPU!