PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS Need Advice

pkirby11
11-21-06, 11:25 PM
Okay, I hit 300 posts and I keep seeing all these awesome rigs people keep building for this contest of Tikis and I keep telling my self don't do it man just don't do it, upgrade that is. How ever, no matter how much I tell my self this it just seems so hard. So then, guess what a good company wants to give me a 12 month no interest credit card, so I'm like no way there gonna aprove me. Guess what, I know have over $2300 burning a hole in my pocket and Jakup, Xion X2, Tiki, Venturi and all you other crazy mofo's are making me go crazy with your Core 2 rigs with 8800's. So now I'm going to do it, I'm going to take the plunge, screw it! It's only money right!! :D

So I need some opinions, I want to keep things with in reason (yeah right) and so I ask you fellow NV viewers lend me your ears. Let me know what you would go with okay.

I have my case and sound card, the PSU is covered as are the hard drives and cd drives. What I need advice on is the CPU, memory, motherboard and video cards.

So here was my build, let me know which one you'd go with.

Core 2 Duo E6600 (I'm thinking best price/performance ratio)
EVGA 680i Mobo (Curious as to wether you need the NB fan and if so how hot does it get?)
Corsair XMS2 2GB 4-4-4-12 2.1V
2 x BFG8800GTS

Core 2 Duo E6700 (Little pricy so not sure)
Asus Pn32-E (Like the fanless NB and SB)
2 x EVGA8800GTS

So those are the two builds, the motherboard will go with either Core 2 Duo I choose, wether it's a E6600 or E6700. I just want opinions on the boards and wanted to give you the two I was considering. So any thoughts would be great, I want this to be a nice build. Ohh and one last thing, any one know were I can get benchmarks for 8800GTS's in SLI? Thanks for the help guys.

OWA
11-22-06, 12:50 AM
EVGA 680i Mobo (Curious as to wether you need the NB fan and if so how hot does it get?)

I've been wondering about that myself.

Xion X2
11-22-06, 01:00 AM
I would use the northbridge fan. The chipset gets really hot, or at least mine does.

The only change I'd make on your list is to go with the E6600 instead of the E6700. I just don't think the extra money is justified; you can overclock each to about the same speeds and they both have the 4MB of cache.

I don't know much about the Asus PN32-E, sorry.

nrdstrm
11-22-06, 01:31 AM
2 x BFG8800GTS

Do that. I would be running a 680I for SURE if I'd built my rig now instead of in August. That will be a mean system and you should come in under 2300 bucks!

**EDIT** - Bearclaw is right...1 GTX instead of GTS SLI. Not only do you save money, but you get really near similar perforamnce, plus once the DX10 monster games come out, you can just throw in another GTX :)

Bearclaw
11-22-06, 01:33 AM
I would go for one GTX rather than a GTS SLI.

Burnt_Ram
11-22-06, 08:00 AM
I would go for one GTX rather than a GTS SLI.
may i ask why? surely GTS SLi would trounce a single GTX ?

fatal1ty
11-22-06, 09:09 AM
Okay, I hit 300 posts and I keep seeing all these awesome rigs people keep building for this contest of Tikis and I keep telling my self don't do it man just don't do it, upgrade that is. How ever, no matter how much I tell my self this it just seems so hard. So then, guess what a good company wants to give me a 12 month no interest credit card, so I'm like no way there gonna aprove me. Guess what, I know have over $2300 burning a hole in my pocket and Jakup, Xion X2, Tiki, Venturi and all you other crazy mofo's are making me go crazy with your Core 2 rigs with 8800's. So now I'm going to do it, I'm going to take the plunge, screw it! It's only money right!! :D

So I need some opinions, I want to keep things with in reason (yeah right) and so I ask you fellow NV viewers lend me your ears. Let me know what you would go with okay.

I have my case and sound card, the PSU is covered as are the hard drives and cd drives. What I need advice on is the CPU, memory, motherboard and video cards.

2 x BFG8800GTS

2 x EVGA8800GTS

So those are the two builds, the motherboard will go with either Core 2 Duo I choose, wether it's a E6600 or E6700. I just want opinions on the boards and wanted to give you the two I was considering. So any thoughts would be great, I want this to be a nice build. Ohh and one last thing, any one know were I can get benchmarks for 8800GTS's in SLI? Thanks for the help guys.

If you dont mind spending that much....

E6300's can break 3 Ghz without a problem. Get a 6300 and some decent DDR2 1000. The Asus P5B-E is one of the best overclockers on the market, if you want SLI later check out the P5B deluxe. Check my sig, these C2D chips just scream to be overclocked. A 6600 or 6700 are just a waste of money imo since they dont clock any higher, plus with those GPUs you will need to OC to take full advantage of them anyways.

Dazz
11-22-06, 09:13 AM
I would say the E6600 as you can't upgrade your cache on your processor.

fatal1ty
11-22-06, 09:15 AM
I would say the E6600 as you can't upgrade your cache on your processor.

you also wont see any difference....

SH0DAN
11-22-06, 09:43 AM

2 x BFG8800GTS

2 x EVGA8800GTS

If you are gonna splurge,hunt around HARD or Extreme systems for a cherry picked E63/64/6600.

pkirby11
11-22-06, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the great advice, I was thinking of going with the EVGA 680i and the E6600. That's a done deal in fact. I would like to know for those using the NB fan on the EVGA board, how loud is it? I'm picky about my noise levels. :p

Also, I see several people's verdicts of getting one 8800GTX over two 8800GTS in SLI. Any one else care to chime in, I couldn't find any good benchmarks with SLI for the 8800 period. Maybe those with one 8800GTX or 8800GTS in SLI could chime in. I'm thinking of maybe even going with two 8800GTX but that's going to be painful money wise. :D

Please let me know your thoughts, especially since many of you own 8800s already. Thanks again guys! :)

Blacklash
11-22-06, 04:54 PM
Naturally two GTS will be faster than a single 8800GTX. I went with the single card because I wanted to return to the simplicity of a single GPU and I game at only 1680x. A 8800GTX handles that res with filtering with ease regardless of title. If I gamed @ 1920x and up with filtering active I'd probably be using GTS SLi myself. If you see the value in two GTS and have the cash, go for it.

Have a look here, it's GTX SLi and it will still give you an idea of scaling:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/415/3/

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=905&cid=8