PDA

View Full Version : To all the motherboard guru's: NEED ADVICE!!!

malachi1313
11-23-06, 10:00 AM
First off Happy Thanksgiving!!! I am so lost with all the new C2D motherboards coming out and xtremesystems is vague/confusing on which motherboard is the best for overclocking/stability. I know alot of folks have had the opportunity to test multiple systems and I really wanted to know which one was the best right now. I was leaning towards the 680i by EVGA but apparently it's having some growing pains.

I am getting:
E6600
2 Gigs of Mushkin or Corsair DDR2 800
EVGA8800GTX

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I would prefer an answer from someone that has hands on with multiple configs. Thanx!!!

hirantha
11-23-06, 11:07 AM
make sure to check out Tiki's rig all the way on the top.. he is having a blast overclocking his chip with Asus Striker

john19055
11-23-06, 09:49 PM
I would go with the EVGA 680i it has a great warranty and real great teck support,ever new motherboard with a new chip is going to have some growing pains ,but at EVGA they have fourms and the tecks hears what problem they are and are quick to put out new BIOS updates and all the reviews I have read have good things to say about EVGA 680i new motherboard ,plus it is about $100 to $150 cheaper then the Asus Striker and it has the same chip as evga has except it has pretty led light everwhere which is good and it has a LED read out on the back plate.either one will be a good choice it is just IMO it is not worth the extra that it cost and if you have ever owned a EVGA product then you alredy know how good there support is.
That is what I chose a EVGA 680i SLI motherboard ,a E6600 CORE 2 DUO, ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED (even tho you do have to do a little mod on the back plate takes about five minutes)Corsair Dominator PC800 memory and 2 Seagate 250gig 16mb cache that I am going to run in Raid-0

malachi1313
11-23-06, 09:54 PM
The striker sounds awesome but I don't know if the price justifies performance. P5B keeps coming up as an excellent motherboard. I appreciate everyones help{Although I thought I would get more responses} I know I could checkout reviews but after the slew of 680i reviews where NO ONE mentioned you would have to alter your backplate to make it work I really don't trust any review site out there. I mean lets get real here...what else have they suspiciously omitted????

malachi1313
11-24-06, 08:45 AM
Over at Xtremesystems now they are saying the 680i board is killing ram!!! Could be users trying to overclock too much and i'm not sure which particular board it is but along with the 680i messing with SATA drives I'm going to pass and go with the BADAXE 2.