PDA

View Full Version : Ausen X Meridian 7.1

grey_1
11-23-06, 03:18 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/auzentech_xmeridian/index.shtml

Wondering if anyone here has one of these. According to Brian's review, this is a very sweet soundcard. personally, I'm ready for a change from creative's bugginess.

nekrosoft13
11-23-06, 04:13 PM
warning warning

no OpenAL support, useless for vista

a12ctic
11-23-06, 04:19 PM
I wouldnt touch a soundcard without openal.

CaptNKILL
11-23-06, 06:47 PM
I wouldnt touch a soundcard without openal.
I know I was making as big a deal out of it as anyone, but just so everyone knows, this isn't any worse than any other non Creative brand card. As far as I know, ONLY the Audigy and X-Fi cards support OpenAL.

Also, according to this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81046

Crysis will be using its own audio system, not OpenAL... so this card would probably work fine.

Anyway grey_1, I think there are a few people around here who have posted about using the card and they seem to like it. Do a forum search for auzentech or meridian and see what comes up.

But keep the OpenAL thing in mind. It'll definitely be a set back for Vista users, but if you want to get away from creative anyway then this is probably one of the best cards you can use.

grey_1
11-23-06, 07:09 PM
I know I was making as big a deal out of it as anyone, but just so everyone knows, this isn't any worse than any other non Creative brand card. As far as I know, ONLY the Audigy and X-Fi cards support OpenAL.

Also, according to this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81046

Crysis will be using its own audio system, not OpenAL... so this card would probably work fine.

Anyway grey_1, I think there are a few people around here who have posted about using the card and they seem to like it. Do a forum search for auzentech or meridian and see what comes up.

But keep the OpenAL thing in mind. It'll definitely be a set back for Vista users, but if you want to get away from creative anyway then this is probably one of the best cards you can use.

This is kind of what I was looking for. I really can't think of anything besides Q4 or nix zi've used OpenAl for. But after reading of problems a few folks are having with the x-fi, which can be had reasonably priced now, I wonder what the biggest drawback would be. No Openal or cracking and popping folks seem to get with the x-fi.

Thanks for the replies, if I decide to take the plunge I'll definetly post on it.

BrianG
11-24-06, 09:49 AM
I am still trying to figure out why every thread relating to anything Oxygen HD a few people have to FUD it with the OpenAL support concerns.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/support/FAQ.php#compatibility

If Vista is released to home users (gamers) and there is still a lack of support, then complain. Until then, Chicken Little...

Oh, and AFAIK, Creative still does not have a stable Vista driver. Just go browse the Vista forum at Creative's support site.

nekrosoft13
11-24-06, 10:41 AM
I am still trying to figure out why every thread relating to anything Oxygen HD a few people have to FUD it with the OpenAL support concerns.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/support/FAQ.php#compatibility

If Vista is released to home users (gamers) and there is still a lack of support, then complain. Until then, Chicken Little...

Oh, and AFAIK, Creative still does not have a stable Vista driver. Just go browse the Vista forum at Creative's support site.

the problem is that vista will be released in 2 months, and most people here will be switching, unless there is guarantee by auzentech that there will be openAL support by that time, this card is useless

and when it comes to creative, creative does support openAL, so even if they have issues with drivers now, they are working on it, and people know about it.

BrianG
11-24-06, 11:13 AM
the problem is that vista will be released in 2 months, and most people here will be switching, unless there is guarantee by auzentech that there will be openAL support by that time, this card is useless

and when it comes to creative, creative does support openAL, so even if they have issues with drivers now, they are working on it, and people know about it.
Right. I guess I will have to start making preparations for the Vista release when my card will turn itself off and stop working in XP Pro x64. Not every human running Windows is going to upgrade right away.

If the driver does not work, than the Creative card is useless as well. So the summary is, Creative has driver issues and you recommend it; Auzentech has driver issues and you FUD it.

nekrosoft13
11-24-06, 11:19 AM
you are still missing the point

both companies have issues, but creative officialy supports openAL, auzentech so far doesn't

if the sound card doesn't support OpenAL, then you won't have hardware acceleration in vista.

so simply your auzentech without OpenAL will turn into onboard realtek, sound will be decoded by software, not using any of those fancy DAC and processors on x-meridian.

creative has openAL support in current card, and in xp, it will be easier for them to port it over

BrianG
11-24-06, 02:47 PM
you are still missing the point

both companies have issues, but creative officialy supports openAL, auzentech so far doesn't

if the sound card doesn't support OpenAL, then you won't have hardware acceleration in vista.

so simply your auzentech without OpenAL will turn into onboard realtek, sound will be decoded by software, not using any of those fancy DAC and processors on x-meridian.

creative has openAL support in current card, and in xp, it will be easier for them to port it over
And suppose I would rather have software decoding with DDL or DTS encoding instead of OpenAL and a Creative product that would not give me surround sound with my speaker system regardless of OpenAL or EAX5 or whatever. I am not about to buy new speakers and a new sound card to save a few CPU cycles on a dual core processor when I have a fantastic sounding speaker system.

Creative does not have a complete Vista driver yet. Niether does the Auzentech. So, I am not missing the point. You need to stop Auzentech/Razer thread-crapping and start asking your guys to finish their driver before letting the sky fall on you.

nekrosoft13
11-24-06, 03:09 PM
Creative does not have a complete Vista driver yet. Niether does the Auzentech. So, I am not missing the point. You need to stop Auzentech/Razer thread-crapping and start asking your guys to finish their driver before letting the sky fall on you.

what the hell are you talking about, i was about to buy x-merdian, but i'm not gonna waste money on something that won't work to full potential in vista.

a12ctic
11-24-06, 03:27 PM
alsa>tradational audio drvers period.

BrianG
11-24-06, 03:40 PM
what the hell are you talking about, i was about to buy x-merdian, but i'm not gonna waste money on something that won't work to full potential in vista.
So I suppose all the drivers for all of the hardware out there are going to "work to full potential in vista" day one? Better take back that 8800GTX.

I can't use the Creative cards for my speaker system because they do not do surround encoding. End of story, I would be limited to Pro Logic with the X-Fi. So tell me, what is less ideal? Wasting some CPU cycles for surround and having it (that is if I have to use a software wrapper, IF), or ditching a $400 speaker system and buying a new sound card that doesn't support Vista any better than the one in my system?

Look, I just don't understand why you won't use your own argument on anything but Auzen, so I am done with the thread. You have been given a link to Auzentech stating they are working on OpenAL for Vista's release. You still haven't made the connection that neither card is ready for Vista, along with plenty of other hardware.

I am a major proponent of digital encoding. Creative needs to wake up.

Redeemed
11-24-06, 03:59 PM
So I suppose all the drivers for all of the hardware out there are going to "work to full potential in vista" day one? Better take back that 8800GTX.

I can't use the Creative cards for my speaker system because they do not do surround encoding. End of story, I would be limited to Pro Logic with the X-Fi. So tell me, what is less ideal? Wasting some CPU cycles for surround and having it (that is if I have to use a software wrapper, IF), or ditching a $400 speaker system and buying a new sound card that doesn't support Vista any better than the one in my system?

Look, I just don't understand why you won't use your own argument on anything but Auzen, so I am done with the thread. You have been given a link to Auzentech stating they are working on OpenAL for Vista's release. You still haven't made the connection that neither card is ready for Vista, along with plenty of other hardware.

I am a major proponent of digital encoding. Creative needs to wake up.

I second what you are trying to say dude.

Creative's drivers are no more ready for Vista than Auzentech's are. And with Creative, the only real addition would be EAX. But, I would much prefer having my games encoded into Dolby Digital or DTS Digital than I would have EAX. I despise EAX, even when done properly- it just can't hold a candle to a true 5.1, 6.1, or even 7.1 setup. And that is just what I have. I probably have a total or $1,500 - $2,500 worth of just speakers alone- not to mention the dual Recievers that I'm using. I sure as heck don't want all that true 5.1 surround sound goodness going to waste with EAX and Dolby Pro-Logic. I'll take the DD and DTS D any day.

And, soon enough, Auzentech will release drivers for Vista that will allow the card to do all the encoding. But if you have a multi-core CPU what do you care? You have plenty of CPU power for such a task.

GamerGuyX
11-24-06, 06:11 PM
I agree with nekrosoft13.

Creative's solutions have support for OpenAL. The competition doesn't.

grey_1
11-24-06, 06:25 PM

Not yet anyway, but it is in the works according to the link BrianG posted. This works for me because I can't do any upgrades til feb or so. by then I should have some better driver support to consider. Right now I'm just trying to flesh out my shopping list. :)

Rakeesh
11-24-06, 07:07 PM

Well, look who owns OpenAL. You only really need openal if you want to save ~1-2fps. You probably need it even less if you are running a dual core CPU.

CaptNKILL
11-25-06, 06:29 AM
Well, look who owns OpenAL. You only really need openal if you want to save ~1-2fps. You probably need it even less if you are running a dual core CPU.
Actually quite a few games don't even have surround sound without hardware acceleration through DirectSound or OpenAL. It isnt about performance, its about features.

If more and more games make their own "sound engines" that do surround sound and 3d effects in software, thats great. But currently, most rely on DirectSound3d or OpenAL for anything other than basic stereo sound.

Since vista will have no DirectSound, you'll either be getting the bare minimum from the game (which may or may not even give you surround, let alone any environmental or 3d effects) or you'll be using openAL.

This seriously hurts the whole DDL\DTS Connect thing too, since they can only send surround sound to your speakers if the game is supplying surround sound.

It really will all depend on how much OpenAL is accepted in the future. If its widespread, you'll be missing out on quite a bit by not having a compatible card. If games go for software sound engines, you wont be missing anything at all.

Its already been confirmed that Ausentech is working on OpenAL though, so hopefully they can pull it together so the card will be useful whether OpenAL catches on or not.

Xion X2
12-27-06, 11:59 PM
Creative sucks. Until they wake up and start encoding surround on-card, then I'll never buy another one of their products.

It's just retarded that the top sound card manufacturer doesn't support the best stereo sound quality. Especially for the price you pay for their cards.