PDA

View Full Version : Going Core 2 Duo...

Lfctony
11-24-06, 08:11 AM
Yep, I've decided to take the plunge as well. As if my 8800GTX was not enough for an upgrade. :) The thing that was stopping me was the lack of a decent motherboard for the Conroe I had in mind. The best board I could find was an ASRock one, the 945G-DVI, which while decent, lacked overclocking options.

A couple of days ago I came over Intel's D975XBX, the Bad Axe. I had read a couple of reviews when it first came out, and was later redesigned to support the Conroe chips, and behold, it offered excellent overclocking options, when pen-modded, and reasonable ones without any modds.

I'll be posting benchies as I set this baby up. Later...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22348&stc=1&d=1164372825

lee63
11-24-06, 08:18 AM
Have fun (lee63)

hirantha
11-24-06, 08:22 AM
is that a Micro ATX board?

Lfctony
11-24-06, 08:40 AM
ASRock was a micro ATX board, however I didn't go for that. The D975XBX is the best Intel board available in the market, and the XBX2 is on it's way. It actually has 3 PCIe 16x slots, but is a crossfire board that can operate SLI only with hacked drivers.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2681

This is the first revision, I have revision 306 that supports the C2D. :)

jesterekim
11-24-06, 12:28 PM
From my experience you can NEVER go wrong with an intel board. They are more than reliable and it has never crashed on me once, yet. Have fun with your new components. :)

Labyrinth
11-24-06, 12:35 PM
The D975XBX is the best Intel board available in the market...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but currently the 680i chipset boards are the best boards available on the market. Your review of that Intel board from Anandtech was from January of 2006?? Almost a year ago!

You gotta try and keep up with technology my friend...:)

mojoRT
11-24-06, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lfctony
The D975XBX is the best Intel board available in the market...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but currently the 680i chipset boards are the best boards available on the market. Your review of that Intel board from Anandtech was from January of 2006?? Almost a year ago!

You gotta try and keep up with technology my friend...:)

I think he meant only out of all Intel branded motherboards the Bad Axe is the best.

Labyrinth
11-24-06, 12:44 PM
I think he meant only out of all Intel branded motherboards the Bad Axe is the best.

Oh..my bad. Sorry for the confusion. Good luck with the new setup!! (nana2)

Lfctony
11-24-06, 01:15 PM

Bingo! :)

And I did mention that the Anandtech review was one of the early iterations of the D975XBX. That revision doesn't support the C2D at all.

I don't intend to go SLI at any moment, I even avoided the 7950GX2 that was SLI on one card. This board will be fine I think. :) In the worst case, I'll do SLI with hacked drivers! (lee63)

Tony.