PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Drives

jesterekim
11-24-06, 12:39 PM
When building a new computer, is the floppy drive really necessary? Do I NEED one? I was thinking about scrapping it, when I built my last PC, I have never used the floppy drive for anything.

Bearclaw
11-24-06, 12:44 PM
Floppy drives are dead. You don't need one. I never put one on my rig I built and I have never needed to use it. It's a waste of the 20-30 bucks for one.

jAkUp
11-24-06, 01:14 PM
You definetely need it for RAID drivers if you are running a RAID.

I have a USB floppy that I keep around for BIOS updates, but thats all I use it for :)

vandalous
11-25-06, 02:31 AM
I have one just for the off-chance that I have a hardware failure and need a boot disk to get into DOS so that I can check to see what happened.

LycosV
11-25-06, 06:27 PM
If you've got a spare one lying around it's nice to have in a pinch. But almost all machines let you boot from USB thumb drives now so the boot disk requirement is kind of gone.

Lazaredz
11-25-06, 06:32 PM
Have not had 1 in the last 3 machines I have built.

USB or boot CD FTW

Roadhog
11-25-06, 06:43 PM
never needed one.

CaptNKILL
11-25-06, 06:53 PM
When I put everything into my P180B a couple weeks ago I put my floppy drive in but when I saw at all the wires it required, I just decided to leave it unplugged. If I ever need it, I'll just find a floppy cable and plug it in. :p

crainger
11-25-06, 07:10 PM
I can't find a floppy cable long enough for teh Stacker. So I just have a USB one in case I need it.

ViN86
11-25-06, 08:19 PM
yea id throw it in. i have one in my comp. it doesnt feel right without it imo lol.

im oldschool. :headbang:

as a sidenote, most older PC's (quite old now, actually) wont boot without one.

hirantha
11-25-06, 09:46 PM
just keep one to install RAID drivers and once you done disable the Floppy drive from BIOS

DaveW
11-26-06, 10:41 AM
just keep one to install RAID drivers and once you done disable the Floppy drive from BIOS

Same here, why can't we install RAID drivers from a USB drive? Don't know what Microsoft was thinking. Maybe with Vista you have to install RAID drivers from a punch card reader... bunch of retards.