PDA

View Full Version : 8800 - Does it allow SLi + Vsync?

GuOD
11-25-06, 08:16 PM
I'm planning to upgrade to 8800 Sli but I was wondering if you can now enable Vsync? It's annoying to have scan lines when playing :(

nekrosoft13
11-25-06, 08:43 PM
you could enable sli and vsync all the way back to 70 something series driver.

Redeemed
11-25-06, 09:50 PM

The problem is you couldn't use Triple Buffering. As a result, you get an extremely huge loss of frame rate. As to whether or not you can use SLi+VSync+Triple Buffering, I'm not sure. I'm going to try it out on my dual 8800GTS's right now.

It sure would be nice if you could though.

Redeemed
11-26-06, 12:37 AM
Nope, no go.

You can use VSync + SLi, or Triple Buffer + SLi, but you cannot do a combination of all three yet. :(

As such, it defaults to using vsync only and without triple buffering. The result is a significant loss in frame rates.

I'm sure, with some more mature drivers, this issue will be solved. More and more people are complaining about this and I'm sure nVidia has noticed.

GuOD
11-26-06, 12:40 AM

Really? every time I tried to enable vsync my SLi would not work. I enabled the sli bar on the left to show and it wouldn't show up using vsync.

Redeemed
11-26-06, 12:47 AM
Really? every time I tried to enable vsync my SLi would not work. I enabled the sli bar on the left to show and it wouldn't show up using vsync.

Vsync and SLi will work. The only problem is it will seriously and negatively impact your frames per second. In games that are normally playable, the fps might be impacted so significantly that game will be rendered unplayable due to vsync.

This is normal. To cure this Trible Buffering was "invented". The problem, originally this was all just for single cards: vsync + triple buffering.

Now, with SLi, you can successfully use vsync and a dramatic decrease in frames per second. Why not enable triple buffering to restore your frame rates? Cause currently you cannot run SLi+ vsync + triple buffering all at the same time. You can do SLi + vsync, or SLi + triple buffering, or SLi without either vsync or triple buffering- but that is it. I'm not sure if this is a driver or hardware limitation. I'm more inclined to say that it is a driver limitation.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Dazz
11-26-06, 04:35 AM
Hmm How can you tell if you get a huge loss? Vsync will only render upto the refresh rate of your monitor. So you won't be able to tell really. I might try it without vsync.

GuOD
11-26-06, 09:26 AM
Dazz,

Vsync caps it but without triple buffering it will only go to either 60 fps, 30 fps, 15 fps, --- along those lines. It cannot reach framerates inbetween those numbers. So if you're getting 58 FPS, it will drop down to 30.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll just play with the tearing :thumbdwn:

I'm planning an all-out upgrade in January and will probably try to do some watercooling setup! Hopefully 8900s or something will be out by then :D

ManOnFire
11-26-06, 01:21 PM
I had plenty tearing when i swapped to a TFT monitor but never on my old CRT. I solved the TFT tearing by using 75Hz refresh rate instead of the default 60Hz.

GuOD
11-26-06, 02:51 PM
I had plenty tearing when i swapped to a TFT monitor but never on my old CRT. I solved the TFT tearing by using 75Hz refresh rate instead of the default 60Hz.

My monitor does not support 75hz. Dell 2405fpw. I don't think forcing higher refresh rates is good either.

I think you will still get tearing at 75hz though. All that you need is FPS > refresh rate.