PDA

View Full Version : New to SLI - secondary monitor not working

siorai
11-25-06, 09:18 PM
I bought another 7900 GS KO tonight. I installed it and tried to get everything setup, but my secondary monitor will not work now. In the Display Properties, there is actually a "Default Monitor" as #2 and then my 1800FPS as #3. I've tried disconnecting the 1800FPS, reinstalling the drivers, then reconnecting the 1800FPS, but it's still not working. I can choose to enable it, but then it just doesn't happen.

Any ideas how to get this working? I assume that the "Default Monitor" in there is to blame, but I have no clue how to get rid of it.

HeavyH20
11-25-06, 09:51 PM
I bought another 7900 GS KO tonight. I installed it and tried to get everything setup, but my secondary monitor will not work now. In the Display Properties, there is actually a "Default Monitor" as #2 and then my 1800FPS as #3. I've tried disconnecting the 1800FPS, reinstalling the drivers, then reconnecting the 1800FPS, but it's still not working. I can choose to enable it, but then it just doesn't happen.

Any ideas how to get this working? I assume that the "Default Monitor" in there is to blame, but I have no clue how to get rid of it.

When in SLI mode, dual monitors will not work. Have to switch back and forth.

siorai
11-25-06, 09:53 PM
When in SLI mode, dual monitors does not work.

Well... That's just awesome. I'm so glad that I bought a secondary card.. I can see enabling/disabling SLI becoming very annoying, very quick.. :thumbdwn:

vandalous
11-25-06, 09:54 PM
When in SLI mode, dual monitors does not work.

What he said. You'll need to disable SLi to use a multi-monitor setup.

3NZ0
11-26-06, 07:38 AM
or use an ati card for the second screen :)

FearMeAll
11-26-06, 08:43 AM
shoulda researched..the first thing anybody knows about sli is that it doesn't work with 2 monitors or more.

Q
11-26-06, 11:22 AM
shoulda researched..the first thing anybody knows about sli is that it doesn't work with 2 monitors or more.

Nvidia promised to fix that over two years ago. So I too was a bit surprised when I fired up a test system with 2 7900's in it a few months back. Nvidia could easily script something that would enable SLI when entering games then revert back to single card for the desktop.

But they haven't. And won't, more than likely. It's the primary reason that I won't go SLI. It doesn't sound like much of a hassle, but it gets old real quick.

superklye
11-26-06, 11:40 AM
Nvidia promised to fix that over two years ago. So I too was a bit surprised when I fired up a test system with 2 7900's in it a few months back. Nvidia could easily script something that would enable SLI when entering games then revert back to single card for the desktop.

But they haven't. And won't, more than likely. It's the primary reason that I won't go SLI. It doesn't sound like much of a hassle, but it gets old real quick.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Especially because the later drivers are supposed to allow one to change in and out of SLI mode without having to restart, but back when I had two 7600GTs, I had to restart to switch into SLI every time. Switching out was fine, but still...it was a hassle.

And I don't understand why SLI can't work with two monitors either. It could be the exact same way that two monitors on a single card works: just set the drivers for "Single-display acceleration" or whatever and it shouldn't even be a problem. :(

I want to get two 3007FWPs and it'd be REAL nice to have dual 8800GTXs to power one of those, but I don't want to have to restart every time I want to turn on SLI. :(

jAkUp
11-26-06, 12:33 PM
You can get a 3rd graphics card to power the monitor.

superklye
11-26-06, 12:46 PM
You can get a 3rd graphics card to power the monitor.
Yeah, but when you're spending $650+/card, you shouldn't have to.

And who's got room in their case for a third video card, especially with a soundcard? :( :thumbdwn:

siorai
11-26-06, 01:31 PM
Yeah, but when you're spending $650+/card, you shouldn't have to.

And who's got room in their case for a third video card, especially with a soundcard? :( :thumbdwn:

Exactly. I'd even be happy with the ability to enable/disable SLI without having to restart and then screw around with what monitor is attached and where.

OWA
11-26-06, 05:11 PM
You can enable/disable SLI without having to restart. That's been available for a while.

superklye
11-26-06, 05:40 PM
You can enable/disable SLI without having to restart. That's been available for a while.
In theory, yes...but I was having all sorts of problems with the 9x.xx series of drivers with my 7600 GTs in SLI and having to restart.

OWA
11-26-06, 05:43 PM
Hmm, I enable/disable all the time without restarting so I don't know...

superklye
11-26-06, 05:44 PM
Me either. And now the cards are gone, so meh. :)

OWA
11-26-06, 05:47 PM
Was it with the P5N32 board or a different one?

superklye
11-26-06, 05:58 PM
Different. It was back when I still had my Gigabyte NFORCE 4 board.

OWA
11-26-06, 06:01 PM
Hmm, I thought maybe it was an Intel SLI issue but I guess not.

siorai
11-27-06, 12:13 AM

Well, I choose to disable SLI, no problem. I choose to enable, I have to restart. This is with the 93.71 drivers. It's maybe something to do with having multiple monitors?

OWA
11-27-06, 10:51 AM
Maybe that's it since I'm not using 2 monitors at the moment.

Monolyth
11-27-06, 11:19 AM
The point of using 2 monitors usually is to surf or do something else on one monitor while you play on the other, yes some of us are insane multitasking atomitons.

I've done dual monitors until I switched to X1950 XFire setup, and I do miss it. I previously had 7800GTX SLI & 7900GTX SLI with a Matrox PCIe x1 video card for my second monitor. It's a major pain doing it that way, but it is possible.

I did see that nVidia had a roadmap for the tri-graphics setup that included the other PCIe slot on 680i mobos to drive a second monitor if someone wanted.

Q
11-27-06, 11:26 AM
I did see that nVidia had a roadmap for the tri-graphics setup that included the other PCIe slot on 680i mobos to drive a second monitor if someone wanted.

That's so crazy...

We finally got to the point where we could drive two displays from one card. Now we need THREE cards to drive two monitors.

Nice. ;)

Monolyth
11-27-06, 11:41 AM
That's so crazy...

We finally got to the point where we could drive two displays from one card. Now we need THREE cards to drive two monitors.

Nice. ;)

There are of course other uses, image from this Inquirer article:
Nvidia's dual-display SLI implementation is bonkers (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35594)
http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/8800SLI.jpg