PDA

View Full Version : Wire caught in 8800 fan...

Lfctony
11-25-06, 10:19 PM
Well, 2 days ago I was setting up my Core 2 Duo setup, and on the first boot I noticed a strong noise 3-4 seconds after bootup. Shut down the PC 10 seconds later, checked the case a bit and started it up, same thing happens.

Upon the second inspection, I noticed one of the case wires had gone in the 8800 fan. Now it wasn't a loose end, it was the wire going in and out, as in a curve going in and continuing out. Removed that from in there, and started the PC, and knock on wood, it's appears no damage has been done.

Now my question is, could this damage the fan? It wasn't caught in the blades and didn't stop the fan, it was just making contact, thus the loud noise. Should I be worried about this?

Thanks,
Tony.

hirantha
11-25-06, 10:39 PM
if the fan rotates fine without any wired or extra noise, its fine. i know this cuz it had happen to me actually it broke one of the wings in the fan and i had to glue it back. and that fan still cools my old Ti500 :D

Lfctony
11-25-06, 10:44 PM
Well the noise it makes appears the same, though I'll check it out a bit more, maybe loop 3D Mark 06 with my ear next to the card. :(

Sir Random
11-25-06, 10:51 PM
Well the noise it makes appears the same, though I'll check it out a bit more, maybe loop 3D Mark 06 with my ear next to the card. :(You mean it's still making the noise with the wire removed?? :confused:

SlieTheSecond
11-25-06, 11:22 PM
If it still makes the noise now, check to see if any blades are broken. Try to wiggle the fan. It is suppose to stay flat, but if it tilts, when it spins up it could be off balance.

Lfctony
11-25-06, 11:41 PM
No, no thank God it doesn't make the noise anymore. I'm just wondering if it's possible for any damage to take place during that brief contact between the fan and the wire. I meant the sound of the card appears normal, as in nothing's changed. But one can never be too sure when such expensive hardware is involved.

Thanks for the interest guys.
Tony.

tacos4me
11-26-06, 12:34 AM
Shouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm always getting things stuck in fans (and while they're running).. wires, screw drivers, fingers.. ect. :o

fatal1ty
11-26-06, 02:54 AM
its fine

Dazz
11-26-06, 04:37 AM
It means that the wire stopped the fan from turning, system notices this and powers off.