PDA

View Full Version : Inquirer clarifies G80 HDCP problem

Pages : [1] 2 3

BoscoWg
11-26-06, 10:11 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35966

Is it meant to be crappy for a $600 Card?

I even bought two of them!

agentkay
11-26-06, 10:22 AM
The 8800 have dual link DVIs so unless he is talking about something else he is clearly talking BS. Iīd rather wait and see what other sites make out of this first before believing the Inq.

shaker718
11-26-06, 10:26 AM
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2874&p=13

Morrow
11-26-06, 10:40 AM
Not that it really matters because it seems it will take at least another year till the first HDCP enabled titles arrive.

AthlonXP1800
11-26-06, 10:43 AM
The Inquirer got it all wrong.

I read HDCP review a few weeks ago tested all Nvidia and ATI's HDCP compatible included G80 with Pioneer BDR-101A Bluray player and PowerDVD 6.6 BD software. Also someone from AVS forum bought Blu-ray drive bundled with PowerDVD BD imported from Japan, he played Blu-ray titles at 1080p on his Nvidia HDCP fine with no issues.

Morrow
11-26-06, 11:38 AM
The Inquirer got it all wrong.

I read HDCP review a few weeks ago tested all Nvidia and ATI's HDCP compatible included G80 with Pioneer BDR-101A Bluray player and PowerDVD 6.6 BD software. Also someone from AVS forum bought Blu-ray drive bundled with PowerDVD BD imported from Japan, he played Blu-ray titles at 1080p on his Nvidia HDCP fine with no issues.

That's maybe because HDCP is currently not enabled on any title available :)

There is no doubt that 1080p without HDCP works on all single-link DVIs but the Inq's article was about HDCP and 1080p at the same time. Hard to tell if they are right because you won't get any HDCP enabled movie in the distant future. Maybe if we are lucky, HDCP will never take-off.

Q
11-26-06, 12:00 PM
How I interpreted the article is that the 8800 drops from dual link to single link DVI when HDCP is being used. Anandtech's article doesn't cover that.

It's the inquirer, so I'd really like a 3rd party to verify this. Too bad we don't have a way of testing it...

Banko
11-26-06, 12:04 PM
How are we going to be able to verify this anyway? When all the current HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray movies don't need HDCP.

superklye
11-26-06, 12:07 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35966

Is it meant to be crappy for a $600 Card?

I even bought two of them!
Why are you believing anything the INQ writes?

jAkUp
11-26-06, 01:26 PM

There is no doubt that 1080p without HDCP works on all single-link DVIs but the Inq's article was about HDCP and 1080p at the same time. Hard to tell if they are right because you won't get any HDCP enabled movie in the distant future. Maybe if we are lucky, HDCP will never take-off.

On PC it is. You cannot watch a blue-ray movie without a HDCP monitor and video card right now. I tried it. You cannot even run a clone display with an HDCP monitor and non HDCP monitor, the movie will not play.

From the Anandtech article above:

If any one of your hardware or software components within this chain does not support HDCP, then your Blu-ray or HD-DVD movie will not play. Most of the time an error message will pop up and give you an idea of what is wrong; If the graphics card is not HDCP compatible, PowerDVD gave us an error message saying, "fail to enable HDCP. Please switch to analog output (VGA, D-Sub) and try again." If the graphics drivers were incompatible, we got an error message along the lines of "please make sure your graphics drivers support HDCP." These are both fairly straightforward error messages, and for the most part, we were able to tell where the chain was failing whenever we had problems.

If the graphics card itself didn't properly support HDCP the result was a bit more in your face. For instance, we had a X1600 Pro sample with an HDMI port from Sapphire which was listed as being HDCP compatible, but we tried to play our Blu-ray movie we were greeted with a screen full of static.

Morrow
11-26-06, 01:54 PM
On PC it is. You cannot watch a blue-ray movie without a HDCP monitor and video card right now. I tried it. You cannot even run a clone display with an HDCP monitor and non HDCP monitor, the movie will not play.

From the Anandtech article above:

Somehow this makes no sense, if a movie requires HDCP compliant hardware to be played back, it requires HDCP hardware on both your home TV set and your PC and not on your PC only. HDCP is not selective. Either the movie is flagged and requires HDCP hardware or it doesn't.

At least on HD-DVDs, HDCP is not enabled. Not sure about Bluray because Sony always tried to enforce every possible DRM protection available and just one of many reasons why Blurays should not be bought.

AthlonXP1800
11-26-06, 02:32 PM

Yes but without videocards with HDCP, you cant watch any HD-DVD & Blu-ray titles as both WinDVD and PowerDVD must require HDCP compliant videocard to allow you to watch it. The guy from AVS forum had X1800 videocard before he bought the Poineer Blu-ray drive and after installed it & launched WinDVD but it pop up a dialog tell that the X1800 do not have HDCP require to run the movie. Then he bought and had Nvidia 7950GT with HDCP installed, he launched WinDVD and played Click Blu-ray movie successfully but WinDVD software had limitation as it cant display at full 1080p so it only showed at 720p. He then launched PowerDVD to played the disc, it displayed at full 1080p.

hirantha
11-26-06, 05:52 PM
Please just freaking buy a HDCP Tv and a blue-ray player and just donít freaking put pressure on the graphics card manufactures to get you this HDCP crap and take their focus out from what Graphic cards are actually there to do.
I NEED FRAME RATES not FREAKING HDCP

watch movies in your TV and keep the PC to play games damit!

superklye
11-26-06, 06:03 PM
Please just freaking buy a HDCP Tv and an HD-DVD player and just donít freaking put pressure on the graphics card manufactures to get you this HDCP crap and take their focus out from what Graphic cards are actually there to do.
I NEED FRAME RATES not FREAKING HDCP

watch movies in your TV and keep the PC to play games damit!
Fixed. ;)

hirantha
11-26-06, 06:09 PM
Fixed. ;)

haha Thanx! i hope all the gamers out there understand what i'm saying.

Bubba
11-26-06, 06:30 PM
I wonder if maybe some of the software players (or OSs for that matter) for hi def content are implementing checks for hdcp and ICT differently. HDCP compliance can be a different check than the actual use of the ICT flag on an HDCP compliant system. That may explain some different results during testing with different equipment and software.

But, I don't see what exactly that would have to do with potentially no dual-link dvi output. I didn't even know that was required for 1080p output. Can you not output 1080p on a single dvi?!?

DarkJedi664
11-26-06, 06:40 PM
Well not everyone can afford a gigantic 1080p TV and $4,000+ reciever. Plus I just like watching it on my computer more :)

superklye
11-26-06, 06:44 PM
haha Thanx! i hope all the gamers out there understand what i'm saying.
hahaha...yeah, you made sense. I just hate Blu-Ray. :)

Rakeesh
11-26-06, 10:42 PM
Personally, I don't give a sh*t about hdcp.

If any software refuses to play on a non HDCP video card/monitor combination, then I'll just find a crack for the software.

Blacklash
11-27-06, 02:04 AM
I'm another guy that doesn't really care about it now or will likely have yet another card by the time it is in full swing or really matters.

Some say HDCP only matters if the content uses ICT(Image Constraint Token). Since no one is using it today, and there is a moratorium on it until at least 2009, I am not concerned. If you have a monitor less than 1920 x 1080 your content is going to scale to 720p anyway. If you're going to bother getting a monitor that size or larger make sure it displays 16.7m colors and not 16.2m. I am suggesting that because I am guessing anyone interested in HDCP and 1080p would be a quality buff.

A good idea might be to post all known video cards that support HDCP and 1080P currently to help folks out that are interested in it.

Naturally, if this is a big issue for you clarify it before you by any card.

DarkJedi664
11-27-06, 02:10 AM
Just to let you know, you can't just "crack" the software to play it; it's the video card AND the monitor who have to have it; and that's the player that's requesting it (hardware, not software).

DarkJedi664
11-27-06, 02:11 AM
hahaha...yeah, you made sense. I just hate Blu-Ray. :)
Why? Because of Sony? Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD in all aspects...

PSYCHODAD
11-27-06, 02:18 AM
Why? Because of Sony? Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD in all aspects...
Pass the pipe around bro. I wanna hit of whatever your smokin'!!

fivefeet8
11-27-06, 02:20 AM
Isn't HDCP a content protection problem. Not a content presentation problem. If the G80 can already output resolutions up to 1920x1080 progressive scan resolutions on other HD streams besides HDCP enabled movies, then it should be able to output it the same with HDCP movies albeit with the Content Protection scheme.

Bearclaw
11-27-06, 02:26 AM
Pass the pipe around bro. I wanna hit of whatever your smokin'!!
HAHAHAHAHA.