PDA

View Full Version : Help! Anyone else ever experience this problem?

OmegaMan
11-26-06, 02:51 PM
Well, this is annoying.

I don't know anything about overclocking, but I want to learn. Today I figured I would have a look in my computer's BIOS and see if I could figure it out. I found what I thought to be the CPU frequency, so I tried raising it just a little bit, and restarted the computer.

Well, then it wouldn't start at all.

I fished around and found my motherboard's manual (an nForce 4), and found very vague instructions on CMOS clearing. I didn't know what this was, but I saw some stuff about CMOS when I was in the BIOS, maybe by clearing it I would reset the changes I made in the BIOS? It was worth a shot. I followed the instructions (consisted of unplugging the power supply, taking some clip off two pins and moving it onto two others for several seconds, then putting it back, and then plugging the power supply back in), closed the case up, and turned it on. Yay! At least it started this time. I entered the BIOS and sure enough the change I made was back to normal. I exited the BIOS and let it boot itself. It got to a screen that said something along the lines of "Warning! System now in safemode. Please resetting CPU frequency in BIOS". Then it showed my system temperatures (CPU temp at around 53C), followed by "Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP". I press F1 to continue, and it shows a page that is mainly information on drives, along with other stuff I don't understand, and finally it says "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." Several times now I've restarted only to have the whole sequence start again, first the page with the temperatures that says "Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP" and then the page with the disk read error again. Windows never loads.

Anyone know how to fix this? Please remember that I don't know a lot of these computer terms, and your patience in explaining things to me is really appreciated.

Thanks for any help you have!

tacos4me
11-26-06, 02:54 PM
Go into your boot settings in the BIOS, and make sure the hard drive with your operating system is first on the list of hard drives to boot from. I get the same message when it's not set that way.

OmegaMan
11-26-06, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, tacos.

As far as I can tell, they are already set that way. I tried rearranging them and still have the same error. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly? I go to Advance BIOS Options and select Boot Priority?

Something I just noticed, on the first page (with the temperatures, the page before I get the error) it also says "Floppy Disks Fail (40)", but I don't even have a floppy drive. Could the problem be that it's trying to boot from a floppy drive, but when it can't find it I get a disk read error? I don't really know what I'm talking about, but maybe it has to do with something...

tacos4me
11-26-06, 03:18 PM
Just disable the floppy drive. No idea what motherboard/BIOS you have, so I really can't tell you where.

But you should have boot sequence set like this: CDROM, Hard drive, and then whatever else. Make sure the floppy drive isn't ahead of your hard drives. In addition, you want to go into the hard disk "boot priority", as it's called for me, and make sure the drive which your operating system is installed on is first on that list.

OmegaMan
11-26-06, 03:35 PM
I think I have the floppy drive diabled, but I still have the error.

I'm not sure which drive my OS is on. In the BIOS, under Harddrive Boot Priority, I have my first Raid drive, my second raid drive, and "Bootable Add-In Cards". I've tried setting each of them first and each time I have the same error.

When I put CD-ROM ahead of Harddrive I still got the error, but I'm not booting from a CD, so do I really want this to be first?

tacos4me
11-26-06, 03:46 PM
It should be first, in case you ever need to, say, install Windows again. Saves a little bit of hassle, is all. I'm not sure about your problem though, maybe someone else can chime in. I guess you should just try reseting to default settings. Should be an option in the BIOS somewhere.. probably in the save/quit page. That's where mine is.

OmegaMan
11-26-06, 03:57 PM
Ah, I understand now.

I've read that I can solve the problem, at least temporarily, by booting from the Windows CD and performing a repair. I'm trying that now.

I also read somewhere that someone had this problem because they reset to defaults in their BIOS, but doing so undid their RAID setting. They said all they had to do was enable RAID in their BIOS and it worked, but I can't find where to do this....

I have an nForce 4 Motherboard running Phoenix BIOS...

tacos4me
11-26-06, 04:12 PM
Oh.. yeah, RAID. That would do it. Check under advanced. Not sure where, but there's RAID settings. I'd check myself, but I'm right in the middle of something.

OmegaMan
11-26-06, 04:28 PM
Found it! FINALLY!

Everything is working fine, for now. I hope I didn't hurt anything while I was tweaking things trying to fix this....

Thanks for your help, Tacos!

grey_1
11-26-06, 04:35 PM
Good advice for overclocking, read, read, study and ask questions then read about it some more. :p Never hurts to know exactly what your dealing with.