PDA

View Full Version : Performance Issues 8800GTX

Tequila
11-26-06, 05:37 PM
Hey All,

New to this forum but I've read it for a while and I've come to the oppinion that you guys will be able to help me, sharper minds and all that stuff.

My current rig;

Antec 900 Gamer Case
eVGA 680i (Default Clocks)
BFG 8800GTX (Default Clocks)
Corsair XMS28500C5 @ 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 (Also tried at 800)
Seagate Barracuda 200GB (7200RPM)
LightScribe Drive + CD/RW Drive
Onboard Audio In Use (Planned expansion to X-Fi soon)
Akasa 650W (

My current problem;

I've been experiancing lots of issues with BF2142, Freezing, black artifacts in the sky, crashing, sluggish slow performance but on the other hand at times it's very fast with no issues.

All drivers are fully updated, I've even tried adjusting which power cables power the graphics card but still to no avail. Orignally I thought this was an issue with this game alone but after benchmarking my system on 3DMark06 I attained only 10400 Marks, and I've seen people with systems similar/worse to mine getting around 12,300.

So I now ask you all, I've got all updated DirectX, Video Drivers, Bios's, Windows Updates, everything including game patches all installed in the correct order and I'm starting to lose faith in life!

My only thought was that its the power, I'm still awaiting a responce from Akasa tech support to find out how many Amp's are over the SLI cables but to no luck as of yet, the powersuppy is a akasa AK-650-FF (Not a V2, I have no V2 anywhere on the PSU so I presume its a plain ol' V1).

Future;

In the future I plan to add XFI Fata1ty sound card, 15,000 RPM Fujitsu Drive and overclock, is this powersuppy fast enough anyway?

Anyhelp wil be greatly receieved as im really starting to run out of idea's I initially thought the poor game performance was due to games not supporting the card yet, but alas, my 3dmark score is pretty dire compared to others.

Thanks

jAkUp
11-26-06, 05:39 PM
What CPU do you have?

agentkay
11-26-06, 05:41 PM
Yup, we need to know your CPU. I get around 11k in 3dmark06 with a C2D E6600 at 3.22Ghz and that score should be pretty much on par with others.

OWA
11-26-06, 05:42 PM
What CPU do you have?

Cyant
11-26-06, 06:16 PM
In the future I plan to add XFI Fata1ty sound card

I would wait on that because Microsoft in their futile attempt to impose DRM on sound devices in Vista. Completely destroyed Direct Sound 3d hardware support. The only thing that can do Hardware accelerated sound in Vista now is ASIO or OpenAL using program. Every tittle with Direct Sound 3d Hardware is doomed to go back to sofware or even worst just stereo output and even fail to work at all.

I am sad i bought a X-Fi now...

crainger
11-26-06, 06:20 PM
I would wait on that because Microsoft in their futile attempt to impose DRM on sound devices in Vista. Completely destroyed Direct Sound 3d hardware support. The only thing that can do Hardware accelerated sound in Vista now is ASIO or OpenAL using program. Every tittle with Direct Sound 3d Hardware is doomed to go back to sofware or even worst just stereo output and even fail to work at all.

I am sad i bought a X-Fi now...

We may yet see a Directsound3D wrapper.

Creative used to offer a OpenAL to DirectSound wrapper, so hopefully Directsound to OpenAL is possible as well.

Anyways back on topic :D

Tequila
11-26-06, 06:20 PM
Update
--------

I have an E6700 Core 2 Duo (4mb Cache)

SlieTheSecond
11-26-06, 06:29 PM
Could it be a resistor? It sounds like problems other people had with the wrong resister

Tequila
11-26-06, 06:39 PM
Just this very second checked it, 40C, that's fine, I've got to sleep now, University Lectures in the morning,

Anyhelp will be appretiated.

lee63
11-26-06, 06:49 PM
Its your PSU, its limiting your performance (lee63)

jAkUp
11-26-06, 06:52 PM
Yea, if you have another PSU, I would maybe try that.

crainger
11-26-06, 07:30 PM
Perhaps heat could also be the culprit?

What case are you using? What's the airflow like?

lee63
11-26-06, 07:47 PM
Perhaps heat could also be the culprit?

What case are you using? What's the airflow like?Could be that also (lee63)

Cyant
11-26-06, 07:52 PM
We may yet see a Directsound3D wrapper.

Creative used to offer a OpenAL to DirectSound wrapper, so hopefully Directsound to OpenAL is possible as well.

Anyways back on topic :D
Unfortunately the way the Vista Direct Sound model work there is no way to do that I am afraid. Theres an explaination of how the audio in Vista work here and why unmixed audio is not accessible by the hardware in the new Directsound.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=1694

So unless Creativelabs code a complete replacement of directsound a simple wraper probably won't work and every non-OpenAL games and software will be stuck with a software mixer/effect processor.

agentkay
11-26-06, 08:11 PM
Doesnīt the X-Fi fully support OpenAL from the hardware side? If thats the case, then I donīt know where the problem is unless you want to run older games on Vista.

Back to Tequila: Actually I think your 3Dmark06 score is fine unless you run your CPU at 3,6 - 4,0 Ghz or a Kentsfield because in that case its more realistic to expect 12,3k or more 3dmarks. Of course I could be wrong and my performance might suck as well (without me knowning) but you have to remember that I set the driver on "high performance" and that can make up a few 100 points vs. "high quality" as well.

Cyant
11-26-06, 08:32 PM
Doesnīt the X-Fi fully support OpenAL from the hardware side? If thats the case, then I donīt know where the problem is unless you want to run older games on Vista.

Back to Tequila: Actually I think your 3Dmark06 score is fine unless you run your CPU at 3,6 - 4,0 Ghz or a Kentsfield because in that case its more realistic to expect 12,3k or more 3dmarks. Of course I could be wrong and my performance might suck as well (without me knowning) but you have to remember that I set the driver on "high performance" and that can make up a few 100 points vs. "high quality" as well.
A lot of games don't support OpenAL thats the problem... But more and more games start to support it so it might be ok. Will need to see how it goes.

natan
11-26-06, 10:52 PM
A lot of games don't support OpenAL thats the problem... But more and more games start to support it so it might be ok. Will need to see how it goes.

EAX always sucked ! already powned by aureal3D , at CS age.

OpenAL ROCKZ , and ASIO rulz the PRO world.
and, for god , FORGET 200$ "gaming" sound cards :thumbdwn:

Cyant
11-26-06, 11:28 PM
The I don't care about EAX as much as CMSS for when I use headphones and Hardware acceleration of the sound mixer for DirectSound wich is all handled exclusivly in software in vista now.

And actualy EAX 5.0 implementation with the Xfi sound quite good... But Hopefully all games will come out supporting OpenAL and we won't have to much problem...

Tequila
11-27-06, 01:17 AM
I have no other power supply I can use.

Temperature is not the issue.

CPU @ 40 C
Average Case Temp @ 38 C
Graphics @ 55C - 70 C