PDA

View Full Version : Did Consoles Kill the PC as a Gaming Platform?

Pages : [1] 2

Buenamos
11-26-06, 08:23 PM
http://www.playfuls.com/news_05311_Analysis_Did_Consoles_Killed_the_PC_as_ a_Gaming_Platform.html

It's a really good article about the PC Gaming Vs. Console war. It's a shame this thread will then be turned into a lame battle as well with no good input apart from a few posts. For those of you that don't feed their flames, discuss and thanx! :)

|MaguS|
11-26-06, 08:38 PM
I think Consoles just gave developers more income so they focus on them for that reason alone. Its not because they provide a different gaming experiance since anything that can be done on a console can be done on a PC but because its a closed platform which eases development and brings more profit in.

I think that anyone who considers themself a hardcore gamer would not neglect any one system but play on all systems (not saying you can't have a personal preference).

FCGD
11-26-06, 08:54 PM
no, and it never will. its a cycle you see. whenever a new batch of consoles get released a certain percentage of pc gamers do "jump ship" so to speak, but once the technology gets outdated (at least in the masses eyes, personally i consider the x360 outdated technology already) and prices drop, you will see SOME people come back to the pc. i dont have any statistics so whatever i say is pretty hollow i know, but i can toss the idea of consoles killing pc's as a gaming platform out-of-hand... it will not happen anytime soon, for a variety of reasons

MustangSVT
11-26-06, 09:31 PM
I believe articles and ppl emerge about how console gonna kill PC every time a new console out. When Xbox came out, oh noes, PC is gonna die. If anything, I would say PC is doing even better now than it was doing a few years ago, but that's just my opinion. I'm happily playing both my Xbox360 and PC just as much, maybe the PC a little more usually. You don't get Neverwinter Nights or Guild Wars on 360.

Mr_LoL
11-26-06, 09:33 PM
With Microsoft putting a renewed effort into pc gaming with games for windows, I dont think it going anywhere soon. Thank God for vista eh. I cant wait for Crysis and UT2007.

nekrosoft13
11-26-06, 09:49 PM
I believe articles and ppl emerge about how console gonna kill PC every time a new console out. When Xbox came out, oh noes, PC is gonna die. If anything, I would say PC is doing even better now than it was doing a few years ago, but that's just my opinion. I'm happily playing both my Xbox360 and PC just as much, maybe the PC a little more usually. You don't get Neverwinter Nights or Guild Wars on 360.

excactly, all these articles spreaking lies, if you search, you will find same article from few years back. consoles are what they are because of PC, technology comes out for pc, and gets evolved for console.

PC games will never die

Epyx
11-26-06, 10:00 PM
As a 35 year old gamer I have heard that pc gaming is dead for almost 3 decades now. I started gaming in about 78 with an Apple 2 when the Atari 2600 was king of the consoles...around 83 just before the big video game (console) crash the Coleco Vision was king of the hill in terms of graphics. During the crash the C64 (my favourite computer of all time) took the crown back from the consoles.

Then the Nintendo NES was released which brought back the consoles to the forefront...then the Amiga and Atari ST showed everyone what a 16bit computer was capable of. Then Sega released the Genesis and Nintendo their 16 bit consoles. Then then the PCs one upped them with 256 colour SVGA and better sound Etc etc etc...ad nauseum...

My point? This cycle has been going on for as long as I have been into games. The PC will never die...it just evolves. Already the 8800gtx is giving the hardcore pc gaming crowd pause for thought...the 8900s, R600 will take care of the rest and DirectX 10 will surely convert what is left of the doomsayers. When Crysis finally gets released do you honestly think the Xbox 360 or PS3 will have a technological answer? Of course not...and at that point (2 years into the 360s lifecycle) and not even a year into the PS3's lifecycle we are only scratching at DX10.

Honestly though...aren't we all gamers? Isn't that really what it is about? I have thought about the PS3 as a family gaming center...but my PC will always be the staple for me...

jAkUp
11-26-06, 10:14 PM
The author of that article was misinformed, Crysis is not the sole DX10 title, as a matter of fact, there are quite a few down the pipeline.

Not to mention, sure retail pc sales have declined, but what about online sales? I have purchased a few games online, and the NPD does not track that data.

Also, Microsoft is putting their full marketing force behind Vista and gaming, so when Vista launches, we should see some interest in "games for windows."

nekrosoft13
11-26-06, 10:32 PM
yeah, i bought about 8 games online this year

hirantha
11-26-06, 10:54 PM
Who ever said PC gaming going to die is just plain retarded and ignorant. Thats all i have to say.

Sazar
11-26-06, 10:55 PM
The author of that article was misinformed, Crysis is not the sole DX10 title, as a matter of fact, there are quite a few down the pipeline.

Not to mention, sure retail pc sales have declined, but what about online sales? I have purchased a few games online, and the NPD does not track that data.

Also, Microsoft is putting their full marketing force behind Vista and gaming, so when Vista launches, we should see some interest in "games for windows."

I think you are too kind to the author.

Typically, a "journalist" would be expected to conduct a rudmimentary rummage through the background of the material their article is on.

This person has done nothing of the sort, making some ludicrous statements to support his "article".

I read the little piece earlier today and prepared a nice, long email to send the author, unfortunately there was none to be found.

ynnek
11-26-06, 11:29 PM
If they released the same exact games that they do on the PC on the consoles, with the option of using keyboard and mouse, and also have the same online community support/modding.. Then, I will buy a console.

I must admit, there are some games that I would maybe like to play on consoles.. There seems to be more games that are both released for console and PC (for better or for worse)... and its no secret that the console market is much bigger than the PC market... sooo.. I dunno?

K007
11-27-06, 12:26 AM
There are soem games in console where i wish they also came to the PC too..i dont want to buy a console just for that game only..lucky that some titles do end up on the PC and still work/play just as same or if not better..one of the titles i am looking forward to is the new RE for PC.

nekrosoft13
11-27-06, 12:52 AM
If they released the same exact games that they do on the PC on the consoles, with the option of using keyboard and mouse, and also have the same online community support/modding.. Then, I will buy a console.

I must admit, there are some games that I would maybe like to play on consoles.. There seems to be more games that are both released for console and PC (for better or for worse)... and its no secret that the console market is much bigger than the PC market... sooo.. I dunno?

that will never happen

because mods for consoles would be not possible, especially for ps3, sony is greedy, they would charge modders and people that want to use them, they would have to pay licensing.

some games will never play to full potential on console.

genres like shooter, RTS, RPG, MMORPG simply never will be the same on console, and thats a very bad thing.

i love RPGs on PC, but i hate them on console, its just not the same

tacos4me
11-27-06, 01:08 AM
The current generation of consoles is already becoming outdated with the release of G80/R600/C2Q. There's always articles like this popping up when a new console launches. It's the new "hot thing" that everbody wants. A year or two (or three) from now, PC gaming will pick back up again when all the games are running in DX10 and look 3 times better than on 360/PS3/Wii (not so much the Wii :o). And of course the cost of hardware to run it will decrease dramatically, so the average Joe can afford to play PC games that look better than his console.

Of course Vista and DX10 will attract quite a bit of attention. From developers too. I'm sure Microsoft will be putting a ton of money into advertisements for the whole "Games for Windows" thing. The PC just needs more exclusive games, like Crysis.

FCGD
11-27-06, 01:18 AM
The current generation of consoles is already becoming outdated with the release of G80/R600/C2Q. There's always articles like this popping up when a new console launches. It's the new "hot thing" that everbody wants. A year or two (or three) from now, PC gaming will pick back up again when all the games are running in DX10 and look 3 times better than on 360/PS3/Wii (not so much the Wii :o). And of course the cost of hardware to run it will decrease dramatically, so the average Joe can afford to play PC games that look better than his console.

Of course Vista and DX10 will attract quite a bit of attention. From developers too. I'm sure Microsoft will be putting a ton of money into advertisements for the whole "Games for Windows" thing. The PC just needs more exclusive games, like Crysis.

to be precise the Wii was already a wii bit outdated when the 9600 PRO HIT(!)

Lfctony
11-27-06, 01:37 AM
Well, the console is the easier solution. Get a game, insert the disk in the console, play. No problems (usually), no incompatibilities. The PC is a little different, you have the possibility of games being unplayable due to compatibility problems. It's rare, but it happens. You have to wait for a patch so that you can play the game.

Then there's the hardware issue. I always have up to date hardware, but there are people that still 5200s in their "gaming" systems. These people can't experience the game as I do.

And then there's the pirate thing. It's keeps getting harder and harder to pirate a console game. And it also costs a lot of money to do so. With the PC, you just get a cracked game. With a console, you have to pay a hefty amount for the installation of a mod chip, or in the case of the 360, you don't really have a full proof solution.

Each have their "advantages" and "disadvantages". Some people don't take the pirate thing as an advantage of the PC, but it really does matter.

Personally, I own both consoles and a PC. And I don't think that the PC will ever be replaced. IMO.

Tony.

Sidric
11-27-06, 01:38 AM
You know I love PC gaming just as much as the next guy, but why the divide between PC gaming and console gaming? Why does one side always vehemently despise the other? I own a decent gaming PC and a console(don't laugh, its a Wii) and I spend equal amounts of time with both.

I look at it this way: My PC is my gateway to the cutting edge. I play it to see the beautiful graphics, the customization, the utterly dizzying amount of depth you will only find in a PC game. And the Wii is a complete departure from any of that. It is just plain fun. Its been a long time since I've laughed at myself out of the sheer joy of playing a video game console.

Two completely different play styles. Both equally appealing. So why all the hatorade?

Bman212121
11-27-06, 02:01 AM
make a mouse for the xbox360/wii/ps3... thats the time pc gaming will surely die :D

The PS3 will support any USB keyboard and mouse, I think the 360 supports them also, but I'm not really sure. I don't think that will make a huge difference because game devs probably won't let you use them anyway.

Well, the console is the easier solution. Get a game, insert the disk in the console, play. No problems (usually), no incompatibilities. The PC is a little different, you have the possibility of games being unplayable due to compatibility problems. It's rare, but it happens. You have to wait for a patch so that you can play the game.

Then there's the hardware issue. I always have up to date hardware, but there are people that still 5200s in their "gaming" systems. These people can't experience the game as I do.

And then there's the pirate thing. It's keeps getting harder and harder to pirate a console game. And it also costs a lot of money to do so. With the PC, you just get a cracked game. With a console, you have to pay a hefty amount for the installation of a mod chip, or in the case of the 360, you don't really have a full proof solution.

Each have their "advantages" and "disadvantages". Some people don't take the pirate thing as an advantage of the PC, but it really does matter.

Personally, I own both consoles and a PC. And I don't think that the PC will ever be replaced. IMO.

Tony.

This round of consoles is going to be different. I can personally speak from the PS3 pov, I had to update the firmware on my ps3 before I could even play a game. Also, COD3 requires a patch before you can get online gameplay. So IMO, the differences will become even less.

The only thing I really hope is that game devs don't take advantage of this ability, and try to push their games out too early; that is my take on some of the latest pc games. They get the game to market before it is actually done, and once it actually hits the shelves they try to have it working the way it was intended to. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like every game I've played lately already has an update for it in the first week.

Redeemed
11-27-06, 04:43 AM
While i respect the new consoles and can understand why many may prefer them i will always first and foremost be a PC gamer.

As for the whole console killing the PC thing it happens everytime something new comes out in the console market yet the PC continues to remain quite strong. This round for mine will be no different.

And to be quite honest it's an exciting time to be a PC gamer with what awaits us just around the corner. The recent introduction of the g80 along with the upcoming release of DX10 and Vista will hopefully take PC gaming to the next level.

Fingers crossed.

That, and with Microsoft starting to push heavily for the PC to be recognised as an independant gaming platform when Vista is released... no, I do not think that PC gaming will go anywhere. If it did, MS would have made a new record for the most amount of money ever wasted.

Becoming
11-27-06, 10:54 AM
If anything consoles are becoming more like PC's than ever before. Now with hard drives that need to be managed for space, patches being released for games and some more of the previously PC-only baggage. They'd better be careful.

At this rate there's going to be no reason at all to get the next-next gen of consoles (after these) if they keep going up in price and coming with more of the irritations previous consoles didn't have. At that point you'd be no worse off getting a PC for ease of use and I personally think that's one of the major selling points. You just put in a game and it works. Once they start adding so much unnecessary crap that it becomes a hassle then they start to dig their own graves.

hirantha
11-27-06, 11:53 AM
Long Live the PC and these astonishing GPU's releasing every 6 months!!!

MustangSVT
11-27-06, 12:25 PM
Yea I don't get the ppl that side with one side like a fanboy either. I happilly own a Xbox, PS2 and Xbox360 and a cutting edge PC and I upgrade my PC every so often and so on. I have the Xbox for PGR2/RSC2/Forza/JadeEmpire/Ninja Gaiden, the PS2 for GranTurismo4/GuitarHero/TouristTrophy, and the Xbox360 for PGR3/Kameo/GearsofWar/so on.

There are some games that are really nice to play in multiplayer on console, like Guitar Hero (I've got 2 guitars now for it), some nice sports games like Winning Eleven, NBA Street Vol3, ESPN NFL 2K5, lotsa fun, Halo and Halo 2 are also a lot of fun as is Project Gotham Racing.

On the other hand, ppl on 360 and PS3 talk about great graphics while they're stuck with their "HD" resolution. I like playing on my Dell 24" at 1920x1200 a game like GTR2 that runs at 60fps, so freaking immersive, and some of my other racing games like rFactor with 2005 F1 mod, it's really amazing. And playing CS:Source at 1920x1200, and Dark Messiah at 1680x1050 runs well and looks nice, so on.

My dad was REALLY impressed with PGR3 and Fight Night when I got the 360. Then after I upgrade my computer, I let him play some GTR2 at 1920x1200 and some Half-Life 2 Episode 1 at 1920x1200, and he's like OMGWTFBBQ.

evilchris
11-27-06, 12:33 PM
"Kill"? No. Drastically outsell making console developing a more lucrative business? Yes. Blame pirates for that.

As far as the tiff between both "camps"....

A lot of it is caused by people like "FCGD" who insist console gamers are poor and the only reason they aren't PC gamers is because they can't afford a l33t PC like his. Personally I could dump $10,000 into a gaming PC and not blink. I just have no desire to. The closed mindedness of people like him and his "K+M ONLY!!!" attitude shows sheer ignorance.

Namrok
11-27-06, 01:21 PM
I used to swear up and down by PCs. But to be honest, I've just not been feeling the love for them lately. I'm loving a lot of cheaper, indie-like games or just games from smaller developers. Stuff like Darwinia, Defcon and Galactic Civlizations 2 are my bread and butter on PC, especially if I can buy them online and download them. I love that prices on PC games are going down when every other platform is going up. I love that quirky, niche titles can still come out for the PC.

But man if the major studios haven't been letting me down. I hate that for all intents and purposes, WoW has destroyed PC gaming. Now every game has to be an MMO. I used to love the open ended nature of RPGs on the PC whereas all console RPGs were dominated by super linear ones. Now its nothing but MMO's, with not a Fallout or Planescape in sight. Or they pound on "Action" RPGs. I fail to see how thrashing the left mouse button constitutes "Action" but then again I'm not in marketing. And to be honest, I'm just burned out on FPSs.

And to be honest, while some games were made for keyboard & mouse (strategy, Mechwarrior 2 :P), some perform marginally better with K&M (FPS) some games just cannot be played without a controller. Platformers and fighting games (or any game with fighting game elements like God of War) will just always play better with a controller since they require such tight controls.