PDA

View Full Version : Second GPU for Physics In the Future ?

Burnt_Ram
11-27-06, 08:11 AM
hey all,

i'm wondering if i can use one of my 7800GTs for physics along with my 8800GTS in the future ? i heard some rumors you will be able to ?

i just upgraded from 7800GT sli, and was planning on putting one 7800 in my wifes rig, and maybe selling the other, but it would be great if i could get more use from it down the road as a physics card!

Dazz
11-27-06, 12:12 PM
Yes you can but you need a NF 680i/590 range board to do this.

SlieTheSecond
11-27-06, 12:24 PM
How does that work. You don't SLI the cards? You just pop it in as if it where say a PPU card. And thats it, you got a ppu video card?

Dazz
11-27-06, 12:57 PM
Nope it will use the PCI-Express bus, you maybe able to use it on NF4 boards but as far as i am aware it uses the special centre slot on the board.

Burnt_Ram
11-27-06, 07:12 PM
well today i popped one of my 7800GT's in my wifes rig. do i sell the second one or wait to see if this GPU for physics idea comes to light ?

K007
11-27-06, 07:23 PM
wonder if a 7950GX2 can be used with the 8800GTX

CaptNKILL
11-27-06, 07:51 PM
well today i popped one of my 7800GT's in my wifes rig. do i sell the second one or wait to see if this GPU for physics idea comes to light ?
I'd save it unless you need the cash right now or for the holidays.

Its hard to say when we'll actually see this GPU physics thing being used though.

Dazz
11-27-06, 07:57 PM
Well company of heroes is Havok ready so there is one title at the moment

jAkUp
11-27-06, 08:15 PM
It's Havok, but is it Havok FX?

Burnt_Ram
11-28-06, 07:54 AM
I'd save it unless you need the cash right now or for the holidays.

Its hard to say when we'll actually see this GPU physics thing being used though.
i'm going to take your advice and hold on to it, lol it aint worth squat anyhow ...

ShinaKitsune
11-28-06, 01:19 PM
Its under my assumption that you will have to have a DX10 card in order to use the video card for physics processing. This is due to the DX10 cards having stream processors that can be used for alot of different things rather than fixed vertex/pixel shader pathways.
Like use your 2 G80s in SLI for graphics, and then offload all the physics to a 3rd G85. Though the G80s can do physics on them, but offloading the physics to a different card would show gains in games that used this kind of physics processing.

Bman212121
11-28-06, 01:24 PM
Its under my assumption that you will have to have a DX10 card in order to use the video card for physics processing. This is due to the DX10 cards having stream processors that can be used for alot of different things rather than fixed vertex/pixel shader pathways.
Like use your 2 G80s in SLI for graphics, and then offload all the physics to a 3rd G85. Though the G80s can do physics on them, but offloading the physics to a different card would show gains in games that used this kind of physics processing.

That is what I thought as well. You can do physics, but the card processing the physics needs to be at least an 8000 series to be able to run them. Anyone else to prove/disprove this?

Dazz
11-28-06, 05:13 PM
I think any video card w/ DX10 can do it but they are dedicated to it while the 8800 range cards can do video and physics at them same time by using the streaming processors.

Spartan 117
11-28-06, 05:29 PM
I wonder if there will be a driver release so that you can use 3 8800 GTX's in tri-SLI :/

J-Mag
11-28-06, 05:56 PM
Wouldn't you need a G80 based card for physics? Last I check none of the G70 based cards don't have the quantum physics engine.

Dazz
11-28-06, 06:17 PM
as i have stated the quantum physics engine is on the card and is for physics but the rest of the card is used for gfx. Wowever when they bring the new driver you should be able to use and Geforce 6+ serise cards but when they are in physics mode they can't do anything else even multi monitor use. quantum physics is so you don't need multiple cards and can use the 1 card. however not sure if it works in SLi. And yeah you will be able to have more then tri SLi thanks to the extra SLi connector on the card.

J-Mag
11-28-06, 06:20 PM
as i have stated the quantum physics engine is on the card and is for physics but the rest of the card is used for gfx. Wowever when they bring the new driver you should be able to use and Geforce 6+ serise cards but when they are in physics mode they can't do anything else even multi monitor use. quantum physics is so you don't need multiple cards and can use the 1 card. however not sure if it works in SLi. And yeah you will be able to have more then tri SLi thanks to the extra SLi connector on the card.

So then a G80 physics card could be used for both physics and rendering while the older cards will be forced in the single mode?

Anyway, where have you seen this information?

Dazz
11-28-06, 06:33 PM
I have seen it on fourms and also some hardware websites like xbitlabs.com