PDA

View Full Version : ATX Powersupplies in parallel?

snowmanwithahat
11-27-06, 11:51 PM
Hello all... i'm currently looking at options of upgrading to SLI, and then realized that there is no way that my power supply will be able to run 2 7800 GTX's..... it's a 550w Aspire unit, with 36A on the 12v rail... but it's only a single 12v rail and most certainly isn't SLI certified... however i think it might be able to do it.... but i have doubts.

that brings up my next question, i have a 400W thermaltake unit with 18A on the 12v rail.... would i be able to connect the two in parallel to be able to run SLI? I know it's possible, but i don't know how, and basically know nothing about what i'm talking about, if someone could point me towards a guide (or i know members here have done it) that would be wonderful! Thanks

retsam
11-28-06, 05:26 PM
simple answer...no you cant do it...your 550 will do the job just fine

stevemedes
11-28-06, 07:04 PM
I remember some old case mod tutorial probably back in 97 or 98 where a guy had wired 2 power supplies together as one.

retsam
11-29-06, 07:10 AM
I remember some old case mod tutorial probably back in 97 or 98 where a guy had wired 2 power supplies together as one.
yam there are several mods that are out there that you can do it but if you make one mistake..poof all gone...there are some server motherboards out there that will allow you to do this but they are very expensive and for the price of the board you could just buy a power supply.