PDA

View Full Version : HDTV's for console gaming

Gaco
11-28-06, 12:18 PM
Hey everybody =)

I considered to make this thread in hardware, but to be quite frank I think it somehow belongs in the console gaming. Hardware forum seems much PC oriented and many people who reads and posts in the console forum is to some degree interested in HDTV's is my impression.
I'm currently in a situation where I really, really want to get an HDTV for my Xbox360 because it has become absolutely intolerable to play on my old 28" CRT after having experienced GoW in full 720p glory on an expensive 50" plasma over the past weekend at my dad's place. I'm getting so desperate, I'm almost willing to take a loan to get it now. It really is such a waste to have an expensive nextgen console with 6+ games just lying around because it looks like crap on a normal TV.

I have a couple of related questions actually so I'll break them down to the following two points:

1. I'm going for the 1400-1500$ price range and I'm very fascinated by what 32" LCD screens Samsung has got to offer in that range. Can anybody recommend these screens? (R/N/M 71/72, that series is what I have in mind). Please do post if you have any specific recommendations :)

2. However I'm also much in love with the Nintendo Wii. For all of you who has both the Wii and an HDTV, please post your experience. How does the Wii truthfully looks on a decent HDTV? I could just drop the whole "give myself a big dept by buying HDTV" thing and just buy a Wii otherwise. Chances are I wouldn't care for an HDTV with a Wii right? If I go with this option, my X360 would probably still be relativly unused.. :(

3. Just for the fun of it, anybody is more than welcome to post his/her experience with getting an HDTV, the difference they felt, what motivated them, how it looks and plays etc. ;)

evilchris
11-28-06, 12:30 PM
3. Just for the fun of it, anybody is more than welcome to post his/her experience with getting an HDTV, the difference they felt, what motivated them, how it looks and plays etc. ;)

3. Put it this way: My mom is 60 years old, is a technophobe, and doesn't give a crap about electronics. I had her over awhile back and put CBS's high def feed of whatever football game was on. She was blown away and couldn't believe it.

If my 60 y/o mom was blown away, imagine me.

Namrok
11-28-06, 12:44 PM
1) Personally, the Samsung sets did not have enough connections for me. This may have changed, but as I recall the 32" I looked at only had a single component input, and 2 HDMI, among assorted SD inputs as well. Since I have HD Cable, an XBox 360, a PS2 (using Component) and planned on getting a Wii, this was unsatisfactory. Now that I have my wii, I'm debating what to do with my PS2. I could demote it to using Composite, or I could get a component switch.

2) Trauma Center, Wii Sports and Raving Rabbids all look perfectly find in 480i on my Toshiba 32" (32HLV66). But to be honest, the graphics in all of those games aren't so cutting edge that they benefit from 480p at all. In fact, Trauma Center and Raving Rabbids don't even support it to the best of my knowledge. Truthfully I don't think it would matter if they did. Zelda however, looked pretty awful in 480i. The textures were washed out and the fine details that the other games didn't bother attempting just don't come through. I'm still waiting on my component cables, but there are other threads documenting the benefits of 480p, still, I'll let you know when I check it out.

3) The first HDTV I got was a SlimFit CRT model from LG. It had tons of inputs (2 composite, 2 component, VGA, HDMI, 2 coax) but the slimfit had a noticeable drop in resolution at the left and right edges of the screen. It began bothering me more and more when playing video games, since the HUDs in these games would get blurrier and blurrier towards the edge of the screen. In the end I sold the TV to my parents not 3 months after I got it. They've loved it to this day, it looks great just watching HD Cable.

The next TV I got was a Toshiba LCD, the same I own now. At the time I was looking at Samsung, LG and Toshiba brand TVs. Oddly enough Toshiba had gotten the highest picture quality score on Consumer Reports, in fact it was the only 32" TV which got the highest score they give out. I found this odd since the brightness and contrast were both rated significantly lower than the 32" Samsung model.

Well, it turns out brightness and contrast numbers are pretty much made up off the top of a company's head since there is no uniform way of measuring it. So when Samsung says they have a 4000:1 contrast ratio, take it with a grain of salt, it was a tiny little bit better than the Toshiba which was rated at 400:1. The LG however, well, it was $500 cheaper, and I would have gotten what I paid for. The contrast level, which I believe was rated at 800:1, was quite noticeably weaker than the Toshiba and Samsung. Personally I think Toshiba was selling themselves short on their contrast ratio. Or the other two just way overstate theirs. Either way, numbers lie, so check out the TVs in person. Don't be afraid to start messing with the settings in the store to get a picture you will be satisfied with. My decision came down to the number of inputs I needed, which went in the Toshiba's favor.

These days it seems you can get either a great quality 32" LCD for $1400-$1500 or an equal quality 40+" DLP. I sort of wanted the DLP, but I simply did not have the room for it in my living space. Plus I'm planning on moving soon, and compact size is a factor for that. But if you have the space for it and would like a larger TV, definitely go for the DLP's.

six_storm
11-28-06, 12:48 PM
Hey everybody =)

I considered to make this thread in hardware, but to be quite frank I think it somehow belongs in the console gaming. Hardware forum seems much PC oriented and many people who reads and posts in the console forum is to some degree interested in HDTV's is my impression.
I'm currently in a situation where I really, really want to get an HDTV for my Xbox360 because it has become absolutely intolerable to play on my old 28" CRT after having experienced GoW in full 720p glory on an expensive 50" plasma over the past weekend at my dad's place. I'm getting so desperate, I'm almost willing to take a loan to get it now. It really is such a waste to have an expensive nextgen console with 6+ games just lying around because it looks like crap on a normal TV.

I have a couple of related questions actually so I'll break them down to the following two points:

1. I'm going for the 1400-1500$ price range and I'm very fascinated by what 32" LCD screens Samsung has got to offer in that range. Can anybody recommend these screens? (R/N/M 71/72, that series is what I have in mind). Please do post if you have any specific recommendations :)

Samsung makes a great LCD, some people don't like the processing unit inside their LCDs but hey, I don't think that really matters. I actually was planning on getting the Samsung S3241D this past weekend but I was lucky enough on Black Friday to grab a 32" Westinghouse (W3213) for $479.99! I thought it would be a good, yet cheaper quality TV . . . but I was way wrong. Westinghouse makes a great LCD IMO and other people on the forums will say the same. You might wanna take a look at them.

BTW, Crutchfield.com has the Westy 37" 1080p LCD for $1K with free shipping . . . check it out. Just make sure that you do your research; I did my research for over half a year! (I was saving up money and waiting for the holidays for savings lol) Good luck with your search.

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 01:06 PM
Hey everybody =)

2. However I'm also much in love with the Nintendo Wii. For all of you who has both the Wii and an HDTV, please post your experience. How does the Wii truthfully looks on a decent HDTV? I could just drop the whole "give myself a big dept by buying HDTV" thing and just buy a Wii otherwise. Chances are I wouldn't care for an HDTV with a Wii right? If I go with this option, my X360 would probably still be relativly unused.. :(

Buy a Westinghouse LVM-37W3. That's what I currently have, and it will fit your budget perfectly. It's a 37in 1080p, and has 1xHDMI, 2xDVI, 1xVGA, 2xComponent, 1xSVideo, and 1xComposite. Plenty of inputs, and the picture quality is simply amazing for a $1300 HDTV.

You can hook your XBOX360 up via the VGA cable and run everything at 1080p. It looks AMAZING.

Right now, I have the Wii connected over composite, and it actually looks pretty damn good to be honest. I'm getting my component cables today, and I'm also getting an extra DVI cable soon, so I'll be running a component 480p signal through my video processor which will upscale it to 1080p. I'll give details on that when I get it all set up.

As far as the TV itself, the picture quality is excellent. Let me put it this way, 1080p is sharp enough that I can use this thing as a PC monitor and it works very well indeed. The display is very very bright, and while blacks are not as good as a plasma, they are quite good for an LCD (I watched MI:III on DVD [lots of blacks] and the picture is very clear). The response time is 8ms and I notice absolutely no ghosting.

Don't waste your money on an equivalent Samsung, it will cost you $700 more and you will get nothing except a different name. This display is very high quality, and I highly recommend it.

Namrok
11-28-06, 01:17 PM
Damnit Zelda, you made me notice that Westinghouse has a 47" LCD that looks pretty damn good for 2K flat. And I just bought this 32" LCD a few months ago :(

I must be strong.

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 01:18 PM
Damnit Zelda, you made me notice that Westinghouse has a 47" LCD that looks pretty damn good for 2K flat. And I just bought this 32" LCD a few months ago :(

I must be strong.

Sell your old TV and buy the new one :D

Namrok
11-28-06, 01:19 PM
I may have to start looking around for a buyer :/ I could probably only get $800-$1200 for it though. Maybe more if I find someone gullible. Prices are dropping so fast!

*Thinks fast* Hey Gaco, want a TV? :D

saturnotaku
11-28-06, 01:49 PM
Damnit Zelda, you made me notice that Westinghouse has a 47" LCD that looks pretty damn good for 2K flat.

That appears to be exactly what I want when I buy a TV next year. Hopefully the price will come down a bit more by then.

toxikneedle
11-28-06, 01:54 PM
For your budget I would definet. look at some 37'' 1080P LCDs. I'm not sure what non-major brands there are in Denmark, but I really think you'll have some sort of regret somewhere down the line if you don't get a 1080p set now.

Gaco
11-28-06, 02:10 PM
I may have to start looking around for a buyer :/ I could probably only get $800-$1200 for it though. Maybe more if I find someone gullible. Prices are dropping so fast!

*Thinks fast* Hey Gaco, want a TV? :D

Hey, bugga off! :p :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've done a good deal of research (not a half year's worth of research, but some good amount), and that 37" Westinghouse TV, if it is as good as Zelda says, is by far the best deal I've seen so far! It almost looks too good to be true (good 37" for 1000$ holy sh!t!) (nana2)

I regret to conclude that they can't be bought in Denmark (major brands here are Samsung, LG, Philips, Pioneer and Sony) so it would have to be shipped (does Crutchfield ship outside US?) and where would I stand if something didn't work or the TV malfunctioned somehow? :|

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 02:20 PM
Hey, bugga off! :p :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've done a good deal of research (not a half year's worth of research, but some good amount), and that 37" Westinghouse TV, if it is as good as Zelda says, is by far the best deal I've seen so far! It almost looks too good to be true (good 37" for 1000$ holy sh!t!) (nana2)

I regret to conclude that they can't be bought in Denmark (major brands here are Samsung, LG, Philips, Pioneer and Sony) so it would have to be shipped (does Crutchfield ship outside US?) and where would I stand if something didn't work or the TV malfunctioned somehow? :|

yeah international shipping would be pretty nasty. The reason Westinghouse cuts their costs so much is because they use the panel manufacturers reference designs rather engineer their own stuff. As far as the actual panel, they use the exact same panels that Samsung and other LCD TV manufacturers use so you are getting the exact same quality.

Gaco
11-28-06, 02:24 PM
yeah international shipping would be pretty nasty. The reason Westinghouse cuts their costs so much is because they use the panel manufacturers reference designs rather engineer their own stuff. As far as the actual panel, they use the exact same panels that Samsung and other LCD TV manufacturers use so you are getting the exact same quality.

GAAH, and two other even bigger things than shipping just hit me: possible (and quite porbable) tariff and NTSC. We use PAL you know :(

I'm going to check out if any European vendor sells Westinghouse!

EDIT: Damnit! Looks like they're only being sold in US/Canada. That means NTSC only and there's no way around it I guess (ack)

Now I totally lost my urge to buy an HDTV; if I know I'm gonna buy something that's smaller and more expensive than something else that I can't have because of logistic reasons, I don't know if I can go through with it :cry:

Man the money I would save on buying this kind of TV for that price would pay me a ticket to NY and back. Man it's frustrating!

Gaco
11-28-06, 02:37 PM
Sigh, any other suggestions are welcome. I must keep up the optimism :)

MustangSVT
11-28-06, 03:26 PM
You can get the TV I have, the JVC 52G787, 720p LCoS rear projection models 52" for like $1700 nowadays with stand included from Best Buy. The 56" model is like $100 or $200 more, and the 1080p model is like $2300 for the 56" I think or something like that. Quite a steal I would say. I use my TV with Xbox360 and the HD-DVD add-on and many other Hi-def things and it's great.

Gaco
11-28-06, 03:53 PM
You can get the TV I have, the JVC 52G787, 720p LCoS rear projection models 52" for like $1700 nowadays with stand included from Best Buy. The 56" model is like $100 or $200 more, and the 1080p model is like $2300 for the 56" I think or something like that. Quite a steal I would say. I use my TV with Xbox360 and the HD-DVD add-on and many other Hi-def things and it's great.

In my extensive research I actually encountered one attractive JVC TV. The only one with a good price/quality was a 32" called JVC LT-32R70BU. It's even supposed to handle 1080p signals. It costs 8000 ddk (1400$ which is good by danish standards - taxes, customs n' **** are crazy over here). The other two I'm having in my loop atm is Toshiba 32 WL 66 Z for 8500 ddk, equivalent to 1500$. Lastly there is a 42" plasma named Panasonic TH 42 PV 60E, but it's price is more like 2000$ so that's a bit too much above my price range unfortunately. The Samsungs are pretty much out of the picture now because I've realized that they are a good package of design and quality, but for the best quality in the price range, people generally recommends Toshiba, and I don't care THAT much about design :)

Gaco
11-28-06, 03:56 PM
Oh and another thing. Could someone please do a quick, quick rundown of the different input types, just shortly what they are, look like and what advantages/disadvanges they have. I just wanna be 100% sure though I have a feeling about most of them. I'm thinking specifically:

Composite, Component, RGB, VGA and HDMI.

Gaco
11-28-06, 04:19 PM
Actually forget that second last post. I've made up my mind: I'm not getting a 32", it's simply a bit too small for my taste. I knew that I was getting no more screen-area than my 28" CRT because of the 16:9 format, but I didn't expect the difference to be that big. Since I'll be sitting about 5 feet from my TV, anything bigger than 37" (or 40" max) wouldn't make sense either, especially considering the price gab.

I'm now aiming for a 37" so unless I find a really good deal like the Westinghouse one you can get in US/Canada, I'm probably gonna have to wait a a good deal longer and save up some more money. My aim for christmas has shifted from pursue of HDTV to purchase of a Nintendo Wii, especially since it isn't meant for HDTV's anyway. It can really be felt and seen that many X360 games are somewhat designet around the 720p resolution - I sometimes have trouble reading text (dead rising) or looking furthur than 100m (GRAW). Thanks to everyone for their replies, I'm just gonna have to live with it, moving my X360 to my dad's place permenently. I visit him in about every 14 days so I'll not get much playtime since we only have a small weekend to do other stuff, but I'll have to do for now.

I'd still like to have some explanation on the input types as stated in my last post. Plus I'd like to know, does Wii have DVD playback functionality?

Buenamos
11-28-06, 04:22 PM
Hell, I moved down here to Phoenix, AZ about 5 months ago and I heard about Craigslist. If you live in a big city, definitely check it out! Anyways, I was originally looking at the Westinhouse 37" set cause it's downright amazing, but after searching craigslist I found a 50" Panasonic with a $400 matching tv stand for $1050 in all. Of course, it's only 1080i but I use my VGA input from the 360 and it looks stunning along! It's definitely worth looking into and you can save some money but at the same time, nothing is for sure and it depends on the seller. Fortunately, I was lucky. :p

Gaco
11-28-06, 04:34 PM
BTW in spite of my recent conclusion that I'm gonna have to wait a bit for an HDTV, point 2 and 3 of the original post is still relavant. Man you have a real good time over there lucky americans ;)

MustangSVT
11-29-06, 11:35 AM
Oh you are in Denmark. Since you're sitting 5 feet from the TV, the only rear projection that would make sense is a 42" DLP I guess. Not sure about price and availability in europe, sorry. That JVC I was talking about probably isn't even available in europe.

evilchris
11-29-06, 11:43 AM
At five feet I'd get a Sony CRT.

Gaco
11-29-06, 04:35 PM
At five feet I'd get a Sony CRT.

Why? :)

PS: will the Wii have DVD playback functionality? Will it be a new console release or a mere software update?