PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! IGN gives Gothic 3 a 4.9

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

|MaguS|
11-28-06, 11:08 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747903p1.html

Basically they said its a boring buggy mess... but man does it look pretty!

tacos4me
11-28-06, 11:18 PM
Yeah.. the bugs pretty much ruin this game. Was having an alright time playing earlier today, until I got stuck in the roof of a house. Had to start over. :thumbdwn:

Arioch
11-28-06, 11:19 PM
I am not surprised - the last two Gothic games were very buggy but I still enjoyed playing them.

superklye
11-28-06, 11:19 PM
Those aren't bugs...they're "features."

Tork64
11-28-06, 11:20 PM
damn yuck, IGN usually gives good score. :thumbdwn: Didnt like gothic 3 either.

|MaguS|
11-28-06, 11:21 PM
Those aren't bugs...they're "features."

Oh, I bet.

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 11:25 PM
wow IGN seems to be ran by a bunch of morons these days.

First, they give Zelda a 9.5, which is the lowest they've ever rated a Zelda game (after logging in 20hours it is easily the BEST Zelda game in my opinion).

Now Gothic III gets a 4.5? From what they said in the review it sounds just like Gothic II only bigger and prettier. Which basically means it's an awsome game. Sure the combat system takes a high learning curve, and there are some bugs here and there, but the game is a ton of fun to play.

sillyeagle
11-28-06, 11:31 PM
Since the game came out I have yet to see any screens that are anywhere near as good as what they showed back when everybody was claiming it would graphically beat the crap out of Oblivion.

None of the more recent screens I have seen look as good as this for example.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/135/920920_20060516_screen014.jpg

|MaguS|
11-28-06, 11:31 PM
wow IGN seems to be ran by a bunch of morons these days.

First, they give Zelda a 9.5, which is the lowest they've ever rated a Zelda game (after logging in 20hours it is easily the BEST Zelda game in my opinion).

Now Gothic III gets a 4.5? From what they said in the review it sounds just like Gothic II only bigger and prettier. Which basically means it's an awsome game. Sure the combat system takes a high learning curve, and there are some bugs here and there, but the game is a ton of fun to play.

See I think its fitting for a game that makes no move to change from a previous fomula to get points knocked off. A sequel should fix the issues the previous had and introduce new things... not just keep everything the same with an improvement of graphics alone.

I would have given Zelda a lower score...

Sillyeagle, the game actually can look that good if you position the camera correctly... it has good texture work but in the normal gameplay it can't be seen. Most games do this saddly... screenshots look better then the actual game since during development they can use the camera to hide the weak side of the graphics.

ynnek
11-28-06, 11:36 PM
That review makes combat, ai, and bugs (clipping thru walls and getting stuck?) sounds really bad...

I actually saw the video's of combat before this review and thought the same thing..... I don't think I'm going to get that game.

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 11:38 PM
See I think its fitting for a game that makes no move to change from a previous fomula to get points knocked off. A sequel should fix the issues the previous had and introduce new things... not just keep everything the same with an improvement of graphics alone.

Still doesn't make sense concerning Zelda. There was nothing to fix considering OOT got 10's across the board, and Twilight Princess introduces A LOT of new things. Probably more than any other Zelda to date except maybe Ocarina of Time (I say that because it has the honor of being the first Zelda game in 3D).

Either way, this doesn't change the fact that IGN is giving GOOD games poor ratings. And some of the drivel they've been giving high ratings just makes me shake my head. If a game is ENJOYABLE it shouldn't get a 4.9. Period.

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 11:40 PM
See I think its fitting for a game that makes no move to change from a previous fomula to get points knocked off.

By the way, according to your formula the Final Fantasy series ought to be registering in at a 1 by now.

Of course that is pure horse****, and I'm sure you would agree. They are some of the best games ever.

Tork64
11-28-06, 11:40 PM
Dude, still, 9.5 is an awesome score for a game.

flukester
11-28-06, 11:42 PM
This game does not look anything like the screenshots. This game is a total letdown in terms of graphics and engine and so far the story or plot stinks. Playing it for last few days, it should have been a $19.99, can't believe I bought this garbage. Must of been my stupid and selfish craze for another rpg. Jowood or whoever is associated with this title, too many times now I found they have crap titles. They are now on my ban list for buying. Jowood or whoever is associated with other bad titles. I can't recall the last crap one I bought but I do remember it was Jowood... :(

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 11:43 PM
Dude, still, 9.5 is an awesome score for a game.

It's the lowest score ever handed to a Zelda title by IGN (except for Minish Cap I think)....

Zelda_fan
11-28-06, 11:44 PM
This game does not look anything like the screenshots. This game is a total letdown in terms of graphics and engine and so far the story or plot stinks. Playing it for last few days, it should have been a $19.99, can't believe I bought this garbage. Must of been my stupid and selfish craze for another rpg. Jowood or whoever is associated with this title, too many times now I found they have crap titles. They are now on my ban list for buying. Jowood or whoever is associated with other bad titles. I can't recall the last crap one I bought but I do remember it was Jowood... :(

Well when you run it on a 7600 GT you might as well except it to look like garbage.

Q
11-28-06, 11:49 PM
A 4.9 is being generous. The bugs aren't just annoying, they're showstoppers.

|MaguS|
11-28-06, 11:56 PM
By the way, according to your formula the Final Fantasy series ought to be registering in at a 1 by now.

Of course that is pure horse****, and I'm sure you would agree. They are some of the best games ever.

If the Final Fantasys have stayed extactly the same from Final Fantasy VII then I would agree but considering that every Final Fantasy has actually changed the way the games are played... If you actually believe that Final Fantasy X is the same as Final Fantasy VIII then you just need help.

Zelda: TP plays just like Wind Waker which in turn plays just like Ocarina of Time. The control scheme is the same and the temple themes haven't changed much either... so are the same items and equipment you aquire. I would overlook the storie and even characters but the the actual mechanics have not evolved since Ocarina of Time.

nekrosoft13
11-29-06, 12:43 AM
i don't agree with that score

yes gothic has bugs, but there is more to it that then

it actually has a story, decent story

Ninja Prime
11-29-06, 01:52 AM
If the Final Fantasys have stayed extactly the same from Final Fantasy VII then I would agree but considering that every Final Fantasy has actually changed the way the games are played... If you actually believe that Final Fantasy X is the same as Final Fantasy VIII then you just need help.

Zelda: TP plays just like Wind Waker which in turn plays just like Ocarina of Time. The control scheme is the same and the temple themes haven't changed much either... so are the same items and equipment you aquire. I would overlook the storie and even characters but the the actual mechanics have not evolved since Ocarina of Time.

LOL, come on now, you're just being fanboyish. Theres been airships and turn based battles in HOW many FF games exactly? And wait, you have a party of 4-6 people in HOW many FF games? Oh yeah, and you have the same "Fire 3" type spells in HOW many FF games? And crystals/espers/whateversymbolforcrystals have been in HOW many FF games?

Yeah.

Personally, I think with Zelda games, Nintendo has a near-perfect formula and play style and so they work with it and expand it a little here and there every time. With Square and FF, they did the same thing, up until FF7, then they must have hired a bunch of morons with crappy character design ideas and dreams of being a movie company instead of a game company and it all went down hill from there.

The old Gothic games had bugs too, but I didnt buy them till they were patched anyway so I'll just wait on this one too. ;)

|MaguS|
11-29-06, 02:18 AM
LOL, come on now, you're just being fanboyish. Theres been airships and turn based battles in HOW many FF games exactly? And wait, you have a party of 4-6 people in HOW many FF games? Oh yeah, and you have the same "Fire 3" type spells in HOW many FF games? And crystals/espers/whateversymbolforcrystals have been in HOW many FF games?

Way to ignore what I wrote... Content can be ignored if the gameplay is changed. Even though most Final Fantasy's had a ATB system for the battles they played differently thanks to the way characters can be customized and how each character played in battle. Are you going to sit there and say that Final Fantasy X has the same battle system as Final Fantasy VI? Hell look at Final Fantasy VIII, It had a entirely new magic system, sure the spells were the same but how you leveled and aquired spells was completly different from any other of the series.

Even the equipment systems changed in the Final Fantasy Series... Wana go alittle deeper? The original series started you off with the entire party... now you actually meet new characters with some secret, oh let us not forget how you originally had a choice in what class the characters were but now its usually defaulted (except for the recent ones which allowed you to customize the character classes).

Let us nitpick some more shall we? In the last 6 titles, they atleast changed how the UI looked for each title... Nintendo couldn't even do that... its been the same layout basically since OOT (not talking about the Hearts but rather how the Equipment and Inv layout and work).

There probably even reusing the same sounds from OOT considering they couldn't even orchestrate the Soundtrack for the latest Zelda....

Zelda_fan
11-29-06, 03:03 AM

Airships, turn based combat, uses the same stat system, equipment is about as generic as it gets.... give me a friggen break. I'm not saying they are bad games, because they're not, but I cannot believe that you don't see the hypocrisy in this.

Different battle systems? OMFG, it's turn based combat with a slightly different spin. How ridiculous can you get.

And in case you didn't notice, the characters and story in Twilight Princess are QUITE different than any other Zelda game to date, but you need to play the game past the first two hours to see this.

There are a lot of new items, and a lot of new gameplay mechanics. If you don't see them, then you haven't played to that point yet. Yeah, it builds on classic Zelda, so there is the hookshot and the bow, but there are a lot of new things too.

Even the inventory. I personally don't give a **** how the inventory screen looks like, but I don't ever recall a Zelda game having a large "ring" from which you choose items from.

Same controls? FOR GOD'S SAKE WHEN HAS ZELDA EVER HAD A MOTION SENSOR CONTROL??!

You absolutely amaze me with how much of a BIASED FANBOY you really are. Zelda? *scoff* same game pretty much so it iz teh suX0rz. Final Fantasy? HOW DARE THEE QUESTION THE GODS AT SQUARE-ENIX! HOW DARE THEE! It is VASTLY different! Neuances in the turn based system! You have to meet characters in your party rather than starting off! Come on people HOW DIFFERENT CAN THE GAME GET!!!

|MaguS|
11-29-06, 03:06 AM
Heheh Your funny... can't have a simple discussion without blowing your top... go play with Nv40...

Sidric
11-29-06, 03:10 AM
(popcorn)

Zelda_fan
11-29-06, 03:13 AM
Heheh Your funny... can't have a simple discussion without blowing your top... go play with Nv40...

It's because you make no sense. The same points you bash Zelda for can be applied to the Final Fantasy series, but because you are a big fan of that game, you use some sort of contorted logic and justify your stance.

My stance? They are both great games (my favorite being Zelda of course), and I hope they don't change the core gameplay mechanics in either series, because they both work very very well. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Obviously I want each installment to be a different game with a new story and new gameplay mechanics, but for the most part, both Nintendo and Square-Enix are accomplishing that so I have no complaint for either one.