PDA

View Full Version : Another Xbox360 toasted

Pages : [1] 2

ad hoc
11-29-06, 10:13 AM
It all started the day before Thanksgiving... Weird lockups on the dashboard, sometimes with graphical glitches that look similar to when a PC video card locks up when memory is overclocked too much. They became more frequent, and just as I turned the darned thing on this morning, 3 red lights in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quadrants of the ring. Ahh well, I thought I had a stroke of luck with my Oct 2005 build; guess not!

Anyways, I called tech service on Wednesday, right when it started happening. Hopefully I'll get a box soon to get this POS out of my house...:thumbdwn:

LiquidX
11-29-06, 10:42 AM
I know how you feel all to well and I had those same symptoms with my last system to the point it became unplayable though I didn't get the ring of death. I'am on my third 360.

Tyr-Sog
11-29-06, 10:46 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully MS does right and takes care of you like they said they were going to do with any one with those early models. Goodluck!

zoomy942
11-29-06, 11:05 AM
i just gotta say this... get a Wii :)

evilchris
11-29-06, 11:20 AM
I think I have amazing luck. Launch 360 still going along fine, 18 games later without a single glitch.

S.I.N
11-29-06, 12:03 PM
I think I have amazing luck. Launch 360 still going along fine, 18 games later without a single glitch.

Yep, we know.

Mr_LoL
11-29-06, 12:55 PM
I only had one failure but I returned mine and got a refund. I didnt get another one because Tesco said I couldnt keep the hard drive. I wasny prepared to play test drive unlimited for another 20 hours.

ad hoc
11-29-06, 01:11 PM
Well the (very hard to understand) rep on the phone said to ship ONLY the console... i.e. take off the hard disk, powersupply (duh), even the faceplate!

What does Microsoft send back? Another console, packaged up new? Or are they actually going through all the bad ones and refurbishing them?

One thing I did get out of it was that the warranty plan I purchased in Nov 2005 starts in 2008 and ends in 2010! I suppose it is due to the fact that the newer consoles have the longer original warranty because of the number of failures. Talk about extended warranties!

ad hoc
11-29-06, 01:15 PM
i just gotta say this... get a Wii :)

I was thinking about that actually. But, getting a Wii doesn't negate the fact that I still have an X360 and use it :captnkill: But alas, I don't know what my fiancee would think of me taking home a new toy instead of saving the extra cash in our wedding fund :eek:

Bearclaw
11-29-06, 01:19 PM
What does Microsoft send back? Another console, packaged up new? Or are they actually going through all the bad ones and refurbishing them?

I wonder the same thing. I would be pissed if I got a refurbished one in place of my dead one. I would want a new one damnit.

msxyz
11-29-06, 01:22 PM
Indeed, it sucks... My 2nd unit never had a glitch in 10 months and I think I've spent at least 500hrs with it. My first unit died only after two games and less than 100 hrsa of use. With the early units it was a matter of win or loose, but I hear much less complains nowadays surfing various internet internet forums.

If you live in Europe you've 2 yrs of warranty right from the start, if you live in the US you can still ask for a swap if your unit was manufactured in 2005.

Zelda_fan
11-29-06, 01:30 PM
I only had one failure but I returned mine and got a refund. I didnt get another one because Tesco said I couldnt keep the hard drive. I wasny prepared to play test drive unlimited for another 20 hours.

you could of just copied the save file to a memory card

LiquidX
11-29-06, 01:42 PM
I wonder the same thing. I would be pissed if I got a refurbished one in place of my dead one. I would want a new one damnit.

It looks like they amass defective units and repair them and once a user sends in a bad one they just pluck out one of those repaired, transfer over any warranty info, new serial number and then send it out. Only in the early days of the failures and now in extream cases of like 4 bad systems and alot of haggling have I heard they send out new units.

I personaly hate that they sent me a refurbished unit because it was a very yucky system and not up to the standards of the system I sent in. Sounds wierd but I dont take care of it like my original system.

ralinn
11-29-06, 01:42 PM
What does Microsoft send back? Another console, packaged up new?
Yes, they do this in the UK. I don't know about the US though...

Bearclaw
11-29-06, 01:59 PM
I personaly hate that they sent me a refurbished unit because it was a very yucky system and not up to the standards of the system I sent in. Sounds wierd but I dont take care of it like my original system.
No i understand. They should send out enw units..stupid microsoft..

ad hoc
11-29-06, 02:05 PM
It looks like they amass defective units and repair them and once a user sends in a bad one they just pluck out one of those repaired, transfer over any warranty info, new serial number and then send it out. Only in the early days of the failures and now in extream cases of like 4 bad systems and alot of haggling have I heard they send out new units.

I'll be royally pissed if they send me a scratched, dirty unit. In all fairness though, I don't really mind refurbished units... But I do expect it to be in "like new" condition.

Tyr-Sog
11-29-06, 02:19 PM
I'd be pissed personally. I'd either want a new one or mine fixed and returned.

LurkerLito
11-29-06, 03:28 PM
Personally I'd be pissed if they didn't fix and then return me the same console. With arcade games tied to the console, I'd want the same one back so my arcade games would be unlocked on the console. Yeah I know all you need to do is login to xbox live and you can play the games unlocked, but I have other people other than myself that play that I'd rather they play with their account on the machine and not with mine. I think if you send back your xbox for repair then MS should allow the console wide arcade license to transfer to the new console also.

ad hoc
11-29-06, 04:48 PM
Personally I'd be pissed if they didn't fix and then return me the same console. With arcade games tied to the console, I'd want the same one back so my arcade games would be unlocked on the console. Yeah I know all you need to do is login to xbox live and you can play the games unlocked, but I have other people other than myself that play that I'd rather they play with their account on the machine and not with mine. I think if you send back your xbox for repair then MS should allow the console wide arcade license to transfer to the new console also.

I'm confused (and quite possibly slow); what's the issue with the console and arcade games? I thought that the games were tied to accounts? Are you saying you can only play arcade games (without being logged on) with the console you purchased them from?

toxikneedle
11-29-06, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna be sending in my 2nd 360 back as well. For some reason the disk drive is acting weird, it scratched and killed my SC: DA disk and I think it may have scratched GoW as well, but its been working fine though. Also it doesn't read my burned Data DVDs sometimes. So I'm gonna get my third 360 now.

LurkerLito
11-29-06, 05:25 PM
There are 2 licenses for Arcade games. The first is the console user account license. It lets you play the fully licensed game as long as you are logged into xbox live under that account. The 2nd license you get is for the console. The console you buy the arcade game on lets any account on that particular xbox360 play the game even if your account is not logged in. When you get a refurb, you still can play your arcade games unlocked but anyone else (like a brother or roommate) can't anymore unless you let them log in as you.

ad hoc
11-29-06, 06:30 PM
There are 2 licenses for Arcade games. The first is the console user account license. It lets you play the fully licensed game as long as you are logged into xbox live under that account. The 2nd license you get is for the console. The console you buy the arcade game on lets any account on that particular xbox360 play the game even if your account is not logged in. When you get a refurb, you still can play your arcade games unlocked but anyone else (like a brother or roommate) can't anymore unless you let them log in as you.

Ah. Understood. Since I don't have a working X360, and I've never tried this, can you re-download a game you have already purchased (since you always get the "checkmark" next to things you download)? Would re-downloading the game on a new console not attach a license to it?

LurkerLito
11-29-06, 07:03 PM
I am not sure. My 360 works fine so far, but when people were returning them after a while of use I got worried so I asked and that is how it is suppose to work. As far as I know re-downloading the game won't re give you the console license. Only when you spend points I believe is when it actually puts the console license. Otherwise you could technically go to a friends house then re-download the game there and it would be licensed for everyone on that box also.

Mr_LoL
12-01-06, 04:00 PM
you could of just copied the save file to a memory card
Didnt think of that at the time tbh. It would still be nice if some stores here in the UK let you keep the hard drive.

kaltek
12-01-06, 11:45 PM
Ah. Understood. Since I don't have a working X360, and I've never tried this, can you re-download a game you have already purchased (since you always get the "checkmark" next to things you download)? Would re-downloading the game on a new console not attach a license to it?

I had a few arcade games bought before I sent mine in. Just downloaded them again on my new 360 and they work 100%. So I think they attach a licence to your gamertag or something.

And try these methods. Maybe not the hitting thing but you got nothing to lose if you give it a little squeeze :) http://www.thatgameblog.com/2006/11/30/how-to-fix-your-xbox-360-in-5-seconds/
Perhaps you can play until MS sends you the box.