PDA

View Full Version : What the Cell is going on?

Pages : [1] 2

rek075
11-29-06, 02:07 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155393

All of this has been discussed here before, and obviously they didn't seem to make much mention of Blu-ray and the exclusives coming to the PS3, but I still have to ask this question: Is 1up anti-PS3 also?

Zelda_fan
11-29-06, 02:09 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155393

All of this has been discussed here before, and obviously they didn't seem to make much mention of Blu-ray and the exclusives coming to the PS3, but I still have to ask this question: Is 1up anti-PS3 also?

according to |MagUs| and Bad_Boy everyone except for Sony is anti-PS3.

Namrok
11-29-06, 02:14 PM
For all the smack Sony talked, and as lackluster as their launch lineup is (mostly 360 ports), I think this is totally legitimate. Sony said the HD era starts when they said it does, and they've come to the table with nothing the 360 isn't already doing as far as games go. Perhaps when we start seeing some high quality first party titles that will change, but they should have put up or shut up. While the article may be pretty anti-PS3, I'd said its much deserved backlash for all the retarded things the execs kept uttering every week.

Tyr-Sog
11-29-06, 02:18 PM
Sony brought this upon themselves, end of story.

Marvel_us
11-29-06, 02:26 PM
While I think a couple of these comparisons aren't really legit. I agree Sony doesn't really have anything that impressive out right now.

I'm not surprised though. I didn't expect any AAA titles at launch. Resistance is arguably the best but other than that nothing really stands out.

nekrosoft13
11-29-06, 02:26 PM
sony always talked smack, every single time, and they simply delivered nothing new, nothing to be excited about. and so far titles that are multi-platform look better on 360.

Toss3
11-29-06, 02:59 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about since I just don't see a very big difference? It might be due to the low res of the vids, but seriously all the ps3 games just look a tad brighter than they do on the 360. Madden on the other hand looks like crap on both. :rolleyes:

evilchris
11-29-06, 09:19 PM
I'm just waiting for it to AGE MY SD TO HD!!!

saturnotaku
11-29-06, 09:22 PM
nothing really stands out.

Liar!

Marvel_us
11-29-06, 09:24 PM
Liar!

Why am I a liar?

saturnotaku
11-29-06, 09:26 PM
Why am I a liar?

Have you ever known me to be in Camp Sony? ;)

Marvel_us
11-29-06, 09:27 PM
Have you ever known me to be in Camp Sony? ;)

Gotcha.:o

Knot3D
11-30-06, 05:59 AM
The standout PS3 games will just take a while ( a finalized MGS4, a Silent Hill 5, a new Ico team game, maybe even The Getaway 3, maybe Killzone 2 )

Like many game editors, 1 UP is premature. We could say they're a year too early with this discussion or Sony's just late to the table. Fight Night R3 and that Flatout game clearly look better on PS3....and ow yeah, there is NO Virtua Fighter 5 on Xbox360.

Imho, it would still be the most fair comparison to compare PS3's 2nd wave of games to XBox360's 2nd wave of games, instead of now pitting Xbox360's 2nd wave of games versus PS3's first ;

You might say ; "They're the same titles/ports" ; but that's not the point ; the point is how far each dev has reached reasonable PS3 development level at profitable circumstances. They will reach that 'break even point' with PS3 as well, it'll just take a little longer.

Mankind is impatient, 1UP editors prove this once again.

Namrok
11-30-06, 06:16 AM
The standout PS3 games will just take a while ( a finalized MGS4, a Silent Hill 5, a new Ico team game, maybe even The Getaway 3, maybe Killzone 2 )

Like many game editors, 1 UP is premature. We could say they're a year too early with this discussion or Sony's just late to the table. Fight Night R3 and that Flatout game clearly look better on PS3....and ow yeah, there is NO Virtua Fighter 5 on Xbox360.

Imho, it would still be the most fair comparison to compare PS3's 2nd wave of games to XBox360's 2nd wave of games, instead of now pitting Xbox360's 2nd wave of games versus PS3's first ;

You might say ; "They're the same titles/ports" ; but that's not the point ; the point is how far each dev has reached reasonable PS3 development level at profitable circumstances. They will reach that 'break even point' with PS3 as well, it'll just take a little longer.

Mankind is impatient, 1UP editors prove this once again.

I hate when people go "Yeah, well it's the second wave of 360 games VS the first wave of PS3 game, thats not fair!" It is fair. End of story. We can't pluck the nonexistent 2007 games out of the ether and compare them to Gears of War. We compare what is out now to what else is out now! If I have $60 to spend on a game now, I'm not going to look at games that may or may not be PS3 exclusive and which come out in 2007/2008.

Not to mention that for all the claims Sony made, the under delivered horribly, and backlash like this is the result. They brought it on themselves.

The 360 came out a year ahead of its direct competitor. These are the benefits of that decision. Spoils of war. Don't like it? Cry me a river.

saturnotaku
11-30-06, 06:18 AM
Not to mention that when the so-called "2nd wave" of PS3 games comes out, the 360 will be on its 3rd. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edit: Spoils of War - is that from Epic, too? :p

ENU291
11-30-06, 07:36 AM
Why are people so willing to except Sony's short falls? The out of the box experience with the PS3 is lacking BIG TIME compared to the Xbox360. Granted the games are not that great right now but the basic functionality that is expected of nex gen consoles is just not there. If Sony is so keen on providing a better online experience then where the hell is the headset for VOIP? or the centralized friends list for easy match making? Issues with DVD play back, HDTV incompatabilities, poorly designed browser. These are all things that should have been addressed BEFORE the PS3 was released to the public.

Badboy_12345
11-30-06, 08:01 AM
Why are people so willing to except Sony's short falls? The out of the box experience with the PS3 is lacking BIG TIME compared to the Xbox360. Granted the games are not that great right now but the basic functionality that is expected of nex gen consoles is just not there. If Sony is so keen on providing a better online experience then where the hell is the headset for VOIP? or the centralized friends list for easy match making? Issues with DVD play back, HDTV incompatabilities, poorly designed browser. These are all things that should have been addressed BEFORE the PS3 was released to the public.

they didnt have time. 90% of the time they were implenting the blu-ray player instead of making a console :p :lol:

six_storm
11-30-06, 08:37 AM
^^^ Yeah, they should've left the BR player out . . . would've gotten BR out of the way of the format wars quicker. :D

Redshirt #24
11-30-06, 08:54 AM
The folks at 1up did make one rather good point: the launch doesn't matter, or at least not as much as everybody tends to think. It doesn't help matters either, mind--in the short term--but for better or worse everybody knows or expects launch-level stuff to be crap. With scattered exceptions, of course; Halo over here, Soul Calibur over there, and so on.

In the end, while everybody's waiting on the A-list games...and everybody knows they're coming, and everybody will buy them...Sony, as semi-usual, let their hubris run amok before they were even out of the gate. More so than expected, that is. That's the thing. Or perhaps more accurately: in the short term Sony Computer Entertainment's mouth wrote checks its monolithic derriere just can't cash.

Knot3D
11-30-06, 10:05 AM
I hate when people go "Yeah, well it's the second wave of 360 games VS the first wave of PS3 game, thats not fair!" It is fair. End of story. We can't pluck the nonexistent 2007 games out of the ether and compare them to Gears of War. We compare what is out now to what else is out now! If I have $60 to spend on a game now, I'm not going to look at games that may or may not be PS3 exclusive and which come out in 2007/2008.

Not to mention that for all the claims Sony made, the under delivered horribly, and backlash like this is the result. They brought it on themselves.

The 360 came out a year ahead of its direct competitor. These are the benefits of that decision. Spoils of war. Don't like it? Cry me a river.

You still didn't understand my point. Like most people you're only argumenting from a consumer/buyer point of view.

True objective comparison would mean XB360 2nd gen games VS PS3 2nd gen games because of the DEVELOPMENT CYCLE behind those games is what marks the potential of a platform.

Indeed, i see no PS3 game, totally justifying a PS3 purchase right now ; however, i think we've seen enough material, which already shows those high potential PS3 games in the 1 year from now future. It will take developers at least a year from now to deliver what the general public perceives as 'promises'.

Cry a river full ? Certainly not. I recently bought myself an Xb360 aside my game PC ; since PS3 won't hit PAL shores before march 07. Even if it did ; i wouldn't buy one.

I am merely stating the method of analysis which 1up SHOULD have used. But noooo, they have to jump to conclusions prematurely once more. They're just game editors who have fallen into the 'popular' pitfall of shortterm thinking.

Namrok
11-30-06, 10:11 AM
You still didn't understand my point. Like most people you're only argumenting from a consumer/buyer point of view.

Man, why in the world would I ever do something like that.

Oh yeah, because I'm only a consumer/buyer! As are most people. It might help the ePenis to support something on the cutting edge and argue its success from the super enthusiant/developer/whatever perspective, but at the end of the day, only one matters. The consumer.

evilchris
11-30-06, 10:14 AM
they didnt have time. 90% of the time they were implenting the blu-ray player instead of making a console :p :lol:

that's actually very true

Hex
11-30-06, 10:19 AM

I would really love to know where the out of box experience with the PS3 is lacking "BIG TIME" as you put it?
Games? check
Free Online Service that works flawlessly so far?check
Buddy list? check
Downloadable Demos? Motorstorm, F1, Nba07, Resistance, Blast factor all there along with movie trailers and game trailers....check
Web browsing as promised? check
Headset support in games? check

What issue with dvd playback are you talking about? Not upscaling? Never promised and will be added.

Do you even have a PS3 or are you just reading other peoples crap?

A better question is why in the hell are people so quick to forget the things that the 360 did not have when it began and the problems IT had on release all of the sudden just because now its Sony?

Namrok
11-30-06, 10:23 AM
A better question is why in the hell are people so quick to forget the things that the 360 did not have when it began and the problems IT had on release all of the sudden just because now its Sony?

Because the 360 had them, past tense. It's the PS3's bad planning that it launches against a year old 360, and has to go through the same issues the 360 already resolved. We aren't on some parallel time scale. You compare the experience now on one system with the experience now on another system.

Knot3D
11-30-06, 10:23 AM
Oh yeah, because I'm only a consumer/buyer!
^ Indeed, true... BUT,

1up should be objective game editors. It's their work to get to know more about game development ; hence they should know that it will take insight into 2nd generation development stadia of each platform ; to make a fair & righteous comparison.

If their articles just employ the random arguments of all consumers, then all objectivity in editorial is lost.

Of course, a consumer has his/her right to choose gameplatform A over B or to spend now or a year from now, whatever his/her arguments for that choice are.

This thread subject however, is about game media which should remain objective. By using merely, the consumer's point of view, they fail at that.