03-01-03, 09:23 PM
I want to know how:

2D compares to Ati's R300
DVD quality compares to the R300
Does the NV30 have anything similar to videoshader

Thanks

kyleb
03-01-03, 09:54 PM
i heard a while back that the nv30 does videoshader type enhancment but then again it is hard to say if that paned out. no clue on the other two, with the lack of real reviews i supose we just have to wait to hear from the end users. :mad:

StealthHawk
03-02-03, 12:32 AM
NV30 doesn't have videoshader features, but it does have dedicated hardware support for MPEG2 decoding.

i believe this question was answered in a B3D interview.

edit: Does NV30 feature full MPEG Decoding in hardware? Is this done via specific hardware or is it done on the Pixel Shaders?

GeForce FX includes a full MPEG decoder in the hardware. This is done with specific hardware, not the Pixel Shaders

http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/gffxqa/index.php?p=2

Typedef Enum
03-02-03, 12:53 AM
It is just me (I know that it isn't), or...

When nVidia says anything...don't you pretty much raise an eyebrow? I mean, the way things are now, you have to pretty much disect every one of their freakin' sentences to death in order to extract the truth...simply because they have had a habit of masking their underachievements with words via their PR.

Kruno
03-02-03, 01:07 AM
So reviewers/previewers have not said anything about DVD quality?

Main reason I bought my R300 was for the high quality non-gaming features without having to sacrifice game performance/quality. (IE: Geforce 4 MX)

kyleb
03-02-03, 01:43 AM
thank you for correcting me on that StealthHawk, like i said it was a while back when i hear that so i wasn't sure how it paned out.

also K.I.L.E.R, the few previews we have goten have left me with more questions than answers realy; i assume this has to do with ndas and the like. as for reviews, i don't think there has been one yet despite the fact that the cards are currently shiping. has there?

Hanners
03-02-03, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
So reviewers/previewers have not said anything about DVD quality?

Main reason I bought my R300 was for the high quality non-gaming features without having to sacrifice game performance/quality. (IE: Geforce 4 MX)

One thing reviews never seem to look at much is DVD playback quality.

I'd be very suprised if anything can surpass ATi's DVD playback quality though - Just take a look at HTPC users, I would bet that at least 90% of them use ATi cards in one flavour or another.