PDA

View Full Version : PS3 File Server & Video 9

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bad_Boy
11-29-06, 11:06 PM
Thought I would share this with the few ps3 owners here. Some of you probably already familar with psp video 9, this is the ps3 version and a file server for your computer (for accessing your files on your computer from your ps3).

Formats Supported:

Video (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/index.html)
* Memory Stick Video Format
* MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
* H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile(AAC LC)
* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)

Audio (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/music/index.html)
* Memory Stick Audio Format(ATRAC)
* MP3(MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3)
* MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
* WAVE(Linear PCM)

Images (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/photo/index.html)
* JPEG (DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21 compliant)
* TIFF
* BMP
* GIF
* PNG

Software Tools:

PS3 Video 9 (http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/)
File Server for PS3 (http://www.redkawa.com/fileserver/)

File Server
For the file server, you can set the default directory for the File Server, but you have to do it in the settings file located in C:\Program Files\Red Kawa\File Server\core\settings.txt
Edit the start directory to this format:

StartDirectory=C\:\\MyVideo\\

And you probably want to do the "AllowedFolders=" as the same main directory so you have access to your files.

I havent tried mp3 files or images yet, but I dont see any reason why they wont work.

Video 9
anyways, now that you have File Server setup. the ps3 seems picky with some of the custom settings, but I'm going to keep testing them. So far, the default setting for AVC works fine (though I raised the bitrate because the default 768 was horrible). Though I still need to to figure out how to hack a higher bitrate.

I encoded a hdtv sample file and it looked pretty good dispite not being 1080 res for my tv. As a positive the file size actually went down a little when converting to AVC without much quality downgrade. Going to keep testing out stuff to see if I can get the quality better. And looks like I might need a cpu upgrade to lower those encode times. :o

As a negative, I dont think the 60gb will do for the ps3 (and hell no for the 20GB), I'm already down to 43GB. I'm thinking about asking "santa" for one of these for christmas...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136025
500GB should do. ;) and with the file server I can download files directly to the external harddrive (selecting the actual drive and not the ps3 hdd) without using the ps3 space (which I will use for games and playstation store stuff).

Heres a picture of the two together taken from AVS
http://xs309.xs.to/xs309/06481/ps34601.JPG

I havent tried out remote play (due to not upgrading to 3.0 just yet), so if any of you guys can try that and report back on your experience with that, it would be most welcome.

Anyways, Now that I got everything working (I had some trouble before due to the weird settings of these programs), I'm loving it. I can encode a video file, set it to encode to a specific folder, and I dont have to be on the computer to download it to the ps3 when it finishes (since I have the file server setup to that same folder). When I get the bigger external hard drive comes I can basically have an archive of tons of tv, music, and other video(clips, podcasts, ect) on the ps3.

Hopefully sony can get some background downloading in the next firmware update like microsoft updated the 360 with, thats probably my only big letdown about these programs (which really isnt program's fault). Thankfully the transfer speed over the network seems to be pretty fast so the waiting isnt that long.

I would take some pictures but the camera I have now wouldnt do anything justice (1.2 mp ftl), I'll have to borrow a camera from my sister one of these days. :/

Bman212121
12-01-06, 11:16 PM
What Firmware is on your PS3? They changed the drive size from 60GB to 55GB with the 1.1 firmware. (Changed it to real values, not theoretical ones.)

Also, the PS3 came with 45 / 60GB freem so it already had 15GB used. In reality, you've probably only used 2 GB.

That being said, I still imagine you can fill the drive. However, keep in mind that it can't read NTFS partitions, so depending upon the external drive you have, you might not be able to make FAT32 partitions larger than 137GB. I think the last time I tried it I could make the partition larger, but in Windows it wouldn't accept any more data over the limit.

Oh yea, what video format did you encode in to get movies to play on the PS3? I couldn't find any files that it liked. For some reason it didn't want to read my jpg's either, so I need to play around with it some more.

Bad_Boy
12-02-06, 01:35 AM
To explain my HDD space....My ps3 is filled with movie trailers and *cough* encoded tv episodes, so thats where most of my space went. The rest is mp3's and game demos.

I'm encoding the tv episodes at bitrate of around 6-13mbps, depending on the quality of the source. Using the default AVC profile with custom bitrate (it seems to be able to take any bitrate just fine for me).

Bman212121
12-02-06, 03:25 PM
What program are you using to re-encode the files in?

OWA
12-02-06, 04:05 PM
So you can add your own hard drives to these? If so, that's great news. I constantly have to delete stuff from my X360 to be abel to download more (but I'm a pack-rat when it comes to trailers, demos, etc.).

Thanks for the server info. Hopefully I'll be able to find a PS3 one of these days.

|MaguS|
12-02-06, 04:34 PM
So you can add your own hard drives to these? If so, that's great news. I constantly have to delete stuff from my X360 to be abel to download more (but I'm a pack-rat when it comes to trailers, demos, etc.).

Thanks for the server info. Hopefully I'll be able to find a PS3 one of these days.

The PS3 accepts and 2.5 SATA HD Drive and theres instructions in the box how to replace it so its not something Sony frowns upon.

OWA
12-02-06, 04:35 PM
Cool, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Bman212121
12-02-06, 09:15 PM
Also, you can easily get a sata 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, and then use an external power brick to power the drive. It is very easy to get even the 750GB segate hooked up to the PS3.

Also, you can use an external drive, since the PS3 supports the mass storage driver. Just make sure it is fat32.

Bad_Boy
12-02-06, 09:32 PM
What program are you using to re-encode the files in?
using ps3 video 9 to turn avi files to AVC/mp4

Bman212121
12-02-06, 10:06 PM
Found it thanks!

Here is the link for everyone else if you are interested.
http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

Bad_Boy
12-02-06, 10:21 PM
lol, I posted the link in the OP. maybe I should of made it more obvious, but it's all good. :P

Bman212121
12-02-06, 11:46 PM
lol, I posted the link in the OP. maybe I should of made it more obvious, but it's all good. :P

LOL, it took me about 2 minutes, but I found it now. Yea, it needs to be Really F'in big and red, that way I can find it. :)

Bad_Boy
12-05-06, 12:19 AM
If anybody cares, Blimblim announced playsyde/gamersyde would start putting mp4 videos on the site to be directly downloaded to the ps3 from the ps3 web browser. Which I think it would make it the first site to do so, so far. :)

Mr. Hunt
12-05-06, 07:32 AM
If anybody cares, Blimblim announced playsyde/gamersyde would start putting mp4 videos on the site to be directly downloaded to the ps3 from the ps3 web browser. Which I think it would make it the first site to do so, so far. :)

Awesome.

OWA
01-05-07, 04:42 PM
Thought I would share this with the few ps3 owners here. Some of you probably already familar with psp video 9, this is the ps3 version and a file server for your computer (for accessing your files on your computer from your ps3).

Are you still using this and if so, are you still happy with it? I'm thinking about giving it a shot is why I'm asking.

Bad_Boy
01-05-07, 04:50 PM
Are you still using this and if so, are you still happy with it? I'm thinking about giving it a shot is why I'm asking.
Yup, currently have my hard drive now and everything (music/video) is being stored on it. These two programs works great. Need any help just ask.

OWA
01-05-07, 05:39 PM
Okay, thanks. I have a feeling I'll need help. :)

Bad_Boy
01-05-07, 06:51 PM
Its pretty easy to use, but again if you need any help just ask. :)

Marvel_us
01-06-07, 05:01 PM
I was bored and decided to give this a shot.

Haven't done the file server but I've started to encode movies. Seems the quality decreases a bit when encoding to MPEG4 but it's not that noticeable.

EDIT: Forget what I said. The quality is very noticeable. Hmmm, if anyone finds a better profile or program let me know.

Bad_Boy
01-06-07, 06:34 PM
raise the bitrate, it should up the quality.

Marvel_us
01-06-07, 06:45 PM
Yea I just saw that and raised it to 4096, the highest one. That's what setting you use right?

Bad_Boy
01-06-07, 09:33 PM
you can enter custom bitrates if you want. just put your number in the drop down box. higher is better. :)

Marvel_us
01-06-07, 10:12 PM
Didn't know you could enter custom ones. Thanks for the heads up.

Bad_Boy
01-06-07, 10:29 PM
Didn't know you could enter custom ones. Thanks for the heads up.
No problem. :)

Marvel_us
01-07-07, 04:02 PM
For some reason certain files won't encode properly.

I tried encoding my wmvhd vid of MGS4 which was around 600mb. When I hit start it quickly said complete and gave me a file which was 0kb. Same thing with the FF13 trailer. Anyone have a problem similar to that?

On a side note, this crap takes so long. I think it's time for a new CPU.