PDA

View Full Version : LoL @ Wii

Pages : [1] 2

nV`andrew
11-30-06, 10:24 AM
Apparently people are breaking their TV's, windows, and other **** due to their Wiimote controllers. Wow, they are retarded...

http://videogames.yahoo.com/ongoingfeature?eid=494785&page=0

and something else from yahoo

the first case of "Wii" elbow!!!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/newsarticle?eid=494455&page=0

hmm i kind of figured this controller would cause a problem. i still wanna buy one though :)

Badboy_12345
11-30-06, 10:26 AM
well their IS a strap :bleh:

Namrok
11-30-06, 10:28 AM
I guess Nintendo under estimated how fat and lazy the average American is :p

I saw on the Gamefaqs board this one guy ranting and raving about how its all societies fault that he's fat. That it's because he's poor that he has to eat at McDonalds every day because its the cheapest food he can afford, and only rich people can afford to be in shape, and Nintendo is victimizing him by releasing something fun that requires him to be active because its so strenuous for him.

It really makes me hate humanity. And feel slightly bad that I've been so busy with work that I haven't had time to work out this week.

nemecb
11-30-06, 11:15 AM
Heh, I actually got an e-mail at work about this yesterday because the Rochester guy they mention works here, and he was sick of people asking if it was really him so he sent out a department-wide e-mail that got propogated to a lot of other people.:)

GamerGuyX
11-30-06, 12:26 PM
well their IS a strap :bleh:

That keeps BREAKING...

Ninjaman09
11-30-06, 12:36 PM
LOL. You're still a tard if you throw your controller through a TV. There's no reason to swing it around that hard.

Hex
11-30-06, 12:38 PM
LOL. You're still a tard if you throw your controller through a TV. There's no reason to swing it around that hard.

Can not really put it better than this.

Tygerwoody
11-30-06, 12:47 PM
Have you ever seen a nerd try to attempt to play a sport? They have in their minds they are professional players and dream about being good even though they have never played a day in their life. However when it comes to the action they make, they end up looking like goobers who make alot of weird jerking motions trying to immitate their "heroes". I'm sure thats what they are doing here. They are trying to be Mark McQuire on a freaking video game and ending up throwing the damn controller.

If these nerds cant even hold onto a 3 foot long baseball bat when they swing it, that comes complete with as much gripping as you will ever need. How on earth do they think they will hold onto a slick controller.

nemecb
11-30-06, 01:36 PM
TBH, when I first heard about this I thought it was incredibly stupid, but then I found out that for bowling you (apparently, I haven't played myself) release a button to let go of the ball, and I can certainly see how one might accidentally let go of the controller completely, especially if you've bowled a fair amount and are used to that motion. And although I don't think you should be swinging it that hard, having seen the way some people throw a bowling ball I can only imagine how hard they'd swing if they just had a 2 lb controller in hand. In any case, when people play bowling at my place they will not be swinging directly at my TV.;)

stncttr908
11-30-06, 01:40 PM
When I've played I can't picture myself swinging it hard enough to do any type of damage.

kev13dd
11-30-06, 01:54 PM
Oh please

Tell me what the heck the point of just flicking your wrist is? Do you want to know what the Wii is? A gimmick. Plain and simple. And part of what makes it such a great gimmick is the fun factor of actually acting stuff out. If Nintendo came out and said "please, only make the slight motions with the wrist. Remain seated, don't act things out dramatically, and superglue the controller to your hand" that as many people would buy it? NO!!! Heck, even the TV comercials and Wii display cases show videos of people getting into sports or games and waving the controller around. That's what attracts people to the Wii

So of course there are going to be people out there who swing the controller like a real bat. Or believe that if they can swing their arm faster than the speed of light that all the pins will go down. I don't think that makes them retarded, I think it's called "getting into the game". And that's the gimmick of the Wii- you feel entirely emerssed into the game

As for throwing a controller hard enough to break a TV, Nintendo made 2 mistakes. Their first mistake was not shelling out the cash for some better wrist straps. Their second mistake was making the Wii remote so well built. Those things could be chucked at a brick wall without leaving a mark on them. So when they hit a TV, it's ganna hurt the TV a lot more than it will hurt the remote. I've seen videos from respected video game review sites that show the dents in walls from this controller, and admit they weren't swinging it around that hard. So it doesn't take all that much

K

EDIT: And just to make sure Zelda_Fan doesn't kill my mom for using the word gimmick, I'll define it for him to prove it's almost a compliment

gim-mick: Pronunciation[gim-ik]

–noun 1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

in-gen-ious: Pronunciation[in-jeen-yuhs]
–Adjective 1. characterized by cleverness or originality of invention or construction

Tygerwoody
11-30-06, 02:06 PM
Oh please

Tell me what the heck the point of just flicking your wrist is? Do you want to know what the Wii is? A gimmick. Plain and simple. And part of what makes it such a great gimmick is the fun factor of actually acting stuff out. If Nintendo came out and said "please, only make the slight motions with the wrist. Remain seated, don't act things out dramatically, and superglue the controller to your hand" that as many people would buy it? NO!!! Heck, even the TV comercials and Wii display cases show videos of people getting into sports or games and waving the controller around. That's what attracts people to the Wii

So of course there are going to be people out there who swing the controller like a real bat. Or believe that if they can swing their arm faster than the speed of light that all the pins will go down. I don't think that makes them retarded, I think it's called "getting into the game". And that's the gimmick of the Wii- you feel entirely emerssed into the game

As for throwing a controller hard enough to break a TV, Nintendo made 2 mistakes. Their first mistake was not shelling out the cash for some better wrist straps. Their second mistake was making the Wii remote so well built. Those things could be chucked at a brick wall without leaving a mark on them. So when they hit a TV, it's ganna hurt the TV a lot more than it will hurt the remote. I've seen videos from respected video game review sites that show the dents in walls from this controller, and admit they weren't swinging it around that hard. So it doesn't take all that much

K

EDIT: And just to make sure Zelda_Fan doesn't kill my mom for using the word gimmick, I'll define it for him to prove it's almost a compliment
:rolleyes:

Ninjaman09
11-30-06, 02:35 PM
Oh please

Tell me what the heck the point of just flicking your wrist is?
I never said anything about "flicking your wrist", don't put words in my mouth.

To throw the controller with enough force to crack a television set would require you to be flailing around like a retard. I don't just "flick my wrist" when playing any of the Wii Sports games but I don't fling my arms around as hard as I possibly can either. And the controller is very very easy to hang on to, with or without the wrist strap you continually harp about.

Gaco
11-30-06, 02:53 PM
My guess is that kev13dd hasn't played the wii..

Bearclaw
11-30-06, 03:13 PM
My guess is that kev13dd hasn't played the wii..
I haven't either but my roomate has it and plays it all the time and sometimes he does get into it and makes the motions rather extreme..I suppose of the wriststrap did break it has the potential to do some damage.

IDK though, someone posted this a while back. I guess it could happen but if mroe and more people are saying it is happening just to get money, new system, new tv, etc then ya, its on purpose.

Gaco
11-30-06, 03:14 PM
http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3653 :D

UDawg
11-30-06, 03:17 PM
This thread delivers. :D

This cracked me up.
the first case of "Wii" elbow!!!

Thanks for the entertainment.

I see kev13dd is still a tool.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Wii video game tournaments will be the first to introduce the injured reserver list for participating teams. :D This is great.

LiquidX
11-30-06, 03:50 PM
The Wii is a very different experience and I can see many losing there grasp after a bit of playing. Just sit there and flare your mouse around and I bet after a while it may just fly out of your hands. I know as a kid when I played baseball more than a few occasions the bat flew out of my hands.

Here is a E3 video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7IxQXWT004

The way Nintendo demonstrated the the use of the Wii they did make it seem as if you should try to be active while playing some of these games. We got my cousin a Wii for is Christmas and I pretty sure he is going to go crazy with it because of how he plays other games. When he plays a racing game for example he moves his body and controller with the car, so when the cars turn he turns. We may also have to get a plastic screen guard for the LCD.:)

Ninjaman09
11-30-06, 04:11 PM
You can be plenty active without throwing your controller all over the place. The video Gaco posted is a great example of how NOT to use the controller. There's no reason to swing it that hard.

ralinn
11-30-06, 04:21 PM
Some people just need to remember that it's a game controller not a tennis racket.

Gaco
11-30-06, 04:34 PM
Some people just need to remember that it's a game controller not a tennis racket.

Would you throw a real tennis racket like that? :eek: :p

Peoples-Agent
11-30-06, 06:07 PM
I bet there are more people each year who throw their controllers through their TVs, other consoles, in a fit of rage than what the Wii incidents will generate, except this time they aren't as afraid to admit to it.

You get the same thing with every new innovation, I recall the figures from the first electric tin openers on how many retards cut themselves.

And if you get "Wii elbow" I guarantee also more people get RSI from normal gaming each year too.

All these Wii-tards need to get a grip.

UDawg
11-30-06, 06:12 PM
Would you throw a real tennis racket like that? :eek: :p
John Mackenroe comes to mind. LOL

ad hoc
11-30-06, 09:53 PM
Played the Wii at a friends... Looks very classy and sturdy (the controller, including the strap). I didn't find myself whirling and waving the thing around excessively, though.

Zelda_fan
11-30-06, 11:23 PM
This video just confirms that you have to be a royal dumbass to chuck your wiimote into a TV