PDA

View Full Version : Prey coming to Steam

fuelrod
11-30-06, 09:33 AM
I saw on the Steam (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php) web site Prey will be available sometime today on Steam. What is interesting is they are going to let you register you store bought copy with Steam. This will be nice as now you shouldn't need the disk to play anymore.

OWA
11-30-06, 10:10 AM
That reminds me, I still haven't received the retail copy that I was supposed to get when the Triton service went under.

Namrok
11-30-06, 10:16 AM
Nice! I can register Prey with Steam. I wish I could do this with the copy of Darwinia I bought a few years ago.

stjuart
11-30-06, 11:36 AM
Wow they are trying to sell it for 50 dollars, please, i just went and ordered it on amazon for 21 dollars with shipping over night, and arrives tomorrow so screw them and there messed up prices, i only buy stuff from small developers in the steam library i refuse to support these big companies trying to cash in on this with prices that dont even match there retail prices. I think valve needs to really change their price scheme cause know one in there right mind is going to buy this game for full price that there asking for.

Namrok
11-30-06, 11:44 AM
Wow they are trying to sell it for 50 dollars, please, i just went and ordered it on amazon for 21 dollars with shipping over night, and arrives tomorrow so screw them and there messed up prices, i only buy stuff from small developers in the steam library i refuse to support these big companies trying to cash in on this with prices that dont even match there retail prices. I think valve needs to really change their price scheme cause know one in there right mind is going to buy this game for full price that there asking for.

It all depends on which games. The major studios usually seem to tie themselves into stupid publishing agreements with the physical distributers where the MSRP is locked at $50. The actual stores disregard that all the time for PC games. But since nobody buys games of Steam in bulk to resell them in the same way Best Buy would buy Games from Activision, when the MSRP gets set on Steam, it stays that way...forever. And the physical publishers wouldn't like being undercut.

I hate it too.

But then we get games like Defcon which can be had for $15 or whatever it was when you preorder. This is only really possible because they've forgone any stupid publishing agreements with physical publishers.

stevemedes
11-30-06, 11:51 AM
Maybe more people will play multiplayer if you can use the Steam server browser.

Rakeesh
11-30-06, 11:52 AM
Wow they are trying to sell it for 50 dollars, please,

LOL thats why I always laugh at people who buy crap over steam. They pay easily like 3 times what the game costs at a retail store. I remember when HL2 dropped to like $20, and in some cases even $9, and steam still sold it for $50.

Then valve killed the original game SKU just to artificially increase the retail price, and even removed CS:S and that lost coast crap from the new one which sold for $50 again. What a ripoff company.

A similar thing happened with episode one as well. It was on sale for like $8 at some retailers only two weeks after coming out, well known as such as well, and steam was still selling it for $20. Because of the way valve has screwed up their episodic system (releasing the episodes so late that people eventually lose interest in an aging game engine,) I am willing to bet that episode 2 will end up in the loss leader boat as well, and probably sell for like $15 off shortly after its release. Meanwhile the steam guys that preorder it will save a whopping $2 just like they did with episode one.

stjuart
11-30-06, 12:12 PM
Again i dont care that a game cost 50 but it has to make sense at that price and these dumb publishers need to change their policy if they want to sell games online successfully, because i can already bypass normal retailers by buying games from amazon, and buy.com which have great incentives and very low prices.So it really shouldnt matter that its a hard copy, if its sold online it should match the price accross the board or its going to sell like **** and eventually i feel they will lower the price, wether they like it or not.

ynnek
11-30-06, 01:09 PM
Yup.. yet another reason I hate Steam. From an outsider's POV, can't really blame them for trying to squeeze out as much money as possible.

Also, if you register this game to your Steam account, you may lock yourself out of the ability to lend it to a friend to let them borrow it, since the game is now keyed off of your steamid.. Although not sure exactly how that would work, since this game originally did not require to be linked to Steam.

stjuart
11-30-06, 03:50 PM
Yup.. yet another reason I hate Steam. From an outsider's POV, can't really blame them for trying to squeeze out as much money as possible.

Also, if you register this game to your Steam account, you may lock yourself out of the ability to lend it to a friend to let them borrow it, since the game is now keyed off of your steamid.. Although not sure exactly how that would work, since this game originally did not require to be linked to Steam.
why would anyone who has the retail version wanna actually use steam with it when it doesn't require it, is beyond me, and dont get me wrong i dont hate steam but if a game is easily aquired without steam than thats what i go by and since i usually find some games that are on steam alot cheaper i buy those instead, the only games i do like from them is the 20 dollar ones, and red orchestra was worth it. Call of duty for example i think they want twenty i got my copy like 8 months ago at eb for 15, i think its just these companies assuming that just because they put these games on steam and the large user base that everyone is going to turn into sheep and go along with there rip off prices. dumb asses dont know the first thing about supply and demand, if a game has been out for a wile and is not selling well, you drop price and expecially if all it costs you know is bandwidth and maybe 5 bucks goes to valve so that still leaves a steep price for the crappy speed you tend to get through steam. i dont know, ill still use steam but not for releases that can be had at a store for half the price and sometimes even lower than that.

Fuku2
11-30-06, 09:05 PM
"Prey coming to Steam"

Yeah, they're called 'customers'.

nutcrackr
11-30-06, 09:51 PM
Yeah I picked it up for $25 AUD only a month or so ago. I can understand launching a game at that price but it should release for around $30 now it's been out for 4 months. Some of the Steam prices are insanity - $20 for those popcap flash games is a joke.

Nitz Walsh
12-01-06, 10:58 AM
Yeah I picked it up for $25 AUD only a month or so ago. I can understand launching a game at that price but it should release for around $30 now it's been out for 4 months. Some of the Steam prices are insanity - $20 for those popcap flash games is a joke.
Agreed, $20 is the new $10 it seems on Steam. A game has to be _really_ lame or old to be under $20, no way in hell are those little 2d games worth that.

$n][pErMan
12-01-06, 01:05 PM
I got this game for like $30 at Best Buy a few months back. I enjoyed the game... something different :)