PDA

View Full Version : WS LCD TV/Monitor for gaming?

BFG8800GTXrocks
11-30-06, 02:01 PM
Any suggestions which LCD monitors/TVs for under $1,000 is good for using the PS3 w/HDMI and PC gaming?

Bman212121
11-30-06, 07:50 PM
Prolly the Dell 2407 since you can do the full 1080p on it. I can't confirm that it works because I don't have mine yet. :(

TV wise I'll let you know in a day or so. I'm buying a new TV for our family room, but messed up the first time. I just recieved a 32" Toshiba today that I bought online, only to find out that it doesn't have any tuner at all. I guess I didn't read the fine print enough, I didn't really care if it had an HDTV tuner or not, but I just figured it should have an NTSC/QAM tuner for cable.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7749092&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050022&id=1140394756718

So, being pissed off I ran over to Best Buy and bought the 32" Westinghouse like I was originally going to. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7680011&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050022&id=1134703181778
They pricematched the website so I got it for $810. Long story short, I have 2 32" TV's that I'm testing. So far I like the Westy better all the way around, the only thing that the Toshiba has that is better is sound. The pictures are very close, and I can configure the Westy to look as good as the Toshiba, if not better. I'm going to try a PS3 on both of them via HDMI and component, so I'll let you know how that goes.

cybereml
12-02-06, 11:04 PM
Have you seen any syntax olevia, great price, good quality, great image, not great resolution but ok :)

Bman212121
12-02-06, 11:28 PM
I tried the PS3 on both the Westy 32, and toshiba 32, and they both look pretty impressive. I think the Westy might have looked a hair better IMO, but they both looked really good. The component versus HDMI looked about the same to me also, so there really isn't a difference there for games.

The Westy handled a VGA connection a lot better than the Toshiba did, I'm not exactly sure why. If I set 720p on the toshiba, the screen would be a messed up color. It worked with any other res, just not 1280 x 720. I was using a clone on an x1300pro, and launched COH.

As far as using a DVI - HDMI for pc gaming, both monitors had overscan problems, and there wasn't a specific option to fix it. If you ran the westy in standard mode, it would display everything, but it wouldn't actually fill the entire screen. It would have a little bit of unused space all the way around. I could do the same thing with the toshiba. So you either live with the overscan, or you scale it down so it's a little smaller and not have it fill the entire screen.

I suspect using HDMI is going to have this problem with a lot of tvs, so you may want to look for reviews on tvs before you get one. BTW, the PS3 didn't seem to have the overscan problems, so it's not as big of an issue with it.

BFG8800GTXrocks
12-03-06, 01:13 AM
Thx Bman for those helpful comparisons. Your analysis on using HDMI may just convince me to stick with just using component cables for the PS3. Besides, it appears 1080p is achievable with component and Sony supposedly verified this. Worse case, it downgrades to 1080i.
Let me know if you get a chance to test on the Dell 2407 :)