PDA

View Full Version : What's the best PC Wheel for games?

Mike89
03-02-03, 01:58 AM
I never have been much of a racing game player. Well that changed a bit when I got Nascar 2003. Pretty dam good game and I even ordered F1 2002 to mess with that one too when I get it. Too bad someone doesn't make a game using the CART race cars or Indy. Nascar plays really good with my Saitek joystick but I am now considering a PC Wheel to drive with.

I just went to the Saitek site and their PC Wheel looks really good.

I would like to hear from PC Wheel owners on what they use and any comments they want to make about it. Like do they feel chincy or realistic compared to a joystick.

Matthyahuw
03-02-03, 02:26 AM
http://www.envynews.com/review.php?ID=234

dohcmark8
03-02-03, 04:35 AM
Ok, I got a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel USB. I have had it for a year now, and it has been very rugged, it's been abused daily by young children and it has no problems whatsoever. I would readily recommend this wheel, with great durabulity and reliability. The feel over a joystick is much better, and it will improve your times considerably, especially with games that have good force feedback like Nascar 2003, the force in Nascar 2003 helps tell you when your at the limits of adhesion and when your about to go out of control. The pedals are among the better ones that you get with a wheel and they feel very good and don't slip much. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Smokey
03-02-03, 05:18 AM
I would say the sidewinder also or, as I have the Thrusmaster Ferrari wheel I would say IMO it is the better of the two. There are other ones out there, IMO Logitech arent the best for controllers, great for keyboards and mice, but not controllers :p Best thing to do if you can is to try some before buying.

dohcmark8
03-02-03, 10:17 AM
You can get another wheel but trust me, no one makes controllers as rugged as Microsoft, this is some high quaility extremely durable stuff here.

Matthyahuw
03-02-03, 01:27 PM
My MS stick broke, the trigger button wore out...

Mike89
03-02-03, 01:46 PM
Hmm. The more I look, the more confused I get. I have yet read a review that covers what I want to hear.

I want a wheel that doesn't feel like a toy. I want a wheel that is really accurate that feels as close to the real thing as possible. I want a wheel that has the ability to program separate gears. I don't like to shift gears with a simple up and down button (and forget the automatic shifting, that's for sissys). I find that a hassle when wanting to shift to a specific gear and having to hit the button multiple times to find the right gear. I want to know where all the gears are including reverse. I currently have my Saitek joystick configured for separate gears and it works pretty good.

Does the microsoft and Logetech wheels have enough buttons to do this?

I have seen some wheels with gear shifts but I find myself wondering about the 'feel' (feeling like a toy deal) of it and how long it would last.

Keep the info coming about personal configurations and any comprehensive reviews. Thanks