PDA

View Full Version : Stuttery gaming @ 90fps

SOAD
12-01-06, 07:42 AM
Hello my new Dell 2407WFP came yesterday.

I booted up some games to check it out.

There is a fair difference between it and my 15" Medion TFT. :p

I loaded up Half life 2 for a spin. I was looking at 50-60fps with 8XS AA and 16X anistropic filtering with details on high.

Then I loaded up some games like Mafia, OutCoast 2006. They all ran at around 100+fps.

I played Counter Strike Condition Zero. With 32 Bots I was getting 80-100Fps (locked).

There was something wrong though. It felt really wierd. Almost like it was stuttering or something.

Any idea.

edit: Someone said it could be the Vsync. Is this correct. Should I turn it on?

Toss3
12-01-06, 09:54 AM
Hello my new Dell 2407WFP came yesterday.

I booted up some games to check it out.

There is a fair difference between it and my 15" Medion TFT. :p

I loaded up Half life 2 for a spin. I was looking at 50-60fps with 8XS AA and 16X anistropic filtering with details on high.

Then I loaded up some games like Mafia, OutCoast 2006. They all ran at around 100+fps.

I played Counter Strike Condition Zero. With 32 Bots I was getting 80-100Fps (locked).

There was something wrong though. It felt really wierd. Almost like it was stuttering or something.

Any idea.

edit: Someone said it could be the Vsync. Is this correct. Should I turn it on?

Yep tripple buffering + vsync is the way to go! :thumbsup:

stncttr908
12-01-06, 11:58 AM
Do you mean tearing? If so, turn Vsync on. However, if it's truly stuttering (hitches in gameplay, brief FPS drops) then it could be because Vsync is on. I won't really get into how it works, but just try either or.

jAkUp
12-01-06, 12:16 PM
Might be VSync, I noticed that tearing on LCD's seems to be a little more noticable.

J-Mag
12-01-06, 12:27 PM
Might be VSync, I noticed that tearing on LCD's seems to be a little more noticable.

You noticed it was more noticeable, eh? :D

Some also report that there is processing lag for the Dell panels.

ynnek
12-01-06, 01:59 PM

Some of the cheaper LCD's don't have the processing power to properly drive the actual physical LCD panel at 60 Hz/fps.. Remember, thats uncompressed raw high res high bit depth video data being sent to your LCD panel, that needs to be translated so that the actual LCD pixels get driven. So you get this weird tearing/stuttering/odd effect, even though your fps are high and display should be smooth with vsync locked. A work around is to force lower refresh rate on your LCD panel, basically telling your vid card to give it less information aka, less frames per second... (UGH!)

One easy way to test and isolate this effect is run the judder test
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=318096&page=1&pp=30

I believe you need powerstrip installed for it to work.

When I initially got my Naga, it was driving me crazy, till I proved it was the LCD itself with the judder test.. Returned it and got the Gateway lcd widescreen model instead. Not to mention the text quality was crap on the Naga.

Basically, if I remember correctly, when you run the tests, you should see bars smoothly scrolling by,no tearing..
or other tests like a bar flashing across the screen.. If there's information loss, you will see more than one bar flash across the screen (dropped/merged frames)

MrSavoy
12-01-06, 03:17 PM

Yes its called input lag, and it rears its ugly head withvsync and triple bufering on with some games for me. But I hardly use vsync anyway since it destroys fps in heave gpu limited games at super high res. While I hate tearing, I hate input lag and **** fps more. :) Oh and the input lag is not present when I have no vsync on. the technical reasons behind it I'm sure most people here understand. :)