PDA

View Full Version : be forewarned about gigabyte

derdeutscha
12-01-06, 07:28 PM
I purchased a socket AM2 board from gigabyte and installed an X2 processor. The bios reported 2 cpus and in certain places windows said there were 2 cpus but in actuality there was only one running (according to task manager and environmental settings and any benchmark I would run). I installed windows clean at least 5 times with the same results.

I immediately RMA'd the board and got an ABIT which correctly ran both cores and reported them in all appropriate places and the benchmarks were where they were supposed to be.

Spartan 117
12-01-06, 07:43 PM
its cuz its a dual core CPU

but thats funny, did you noticed anything different from your new mobo??

derdeutscha
12-01-06, 09:14 PM
I noticed a huge difference and the experience has taught me never to buy a cheap board again!

its cuz its a dual core CPU

but thats funny, did you noticed anything different from your new mobo??

Bman212121
12-01-06, 11:18 PM
Did you try a firmware update? I've gotten a few board that didn't have the latest firmware, so I had to flash the bios for it to correctly support a new processor.

superklye
12-01-06, 11:37 PM
yeah, seriously...why didn't you flash the bios?

derdeutscha
12-02-06, 12:36 AM
I'm not stupid. I looked up on their chinese and american website and they didn't have a bios even listed for the motherboard.

There were even things misspelled in the bios..seriously gigabyte sucks

nVidi0t
12-02-06, 11:56 AM
I've had nothing but good experience with Gigabyte. Sorry to hear about the problems.

hemmy
12-02-06, 05:32 PM
Gigabyte is definately not a "cheap" company. They have made good products for less cost than say an ASUS. And honestly ABIT has as many problems as anyone

grey_1
12-02-06, 05:41 PM
My last gigabyte board was still going strong (bought in 02) never a problem til my niece decided to "wash" her dads puter:p , stable as a rock though.

Shocky
12-03-06, 11:34 AM
I do most likely not understand your problem but it sounds like your complaining because windows recognized the second core on the cpu? Umm, thatís normal !? :wtf:

Could you tell us what motherboard it is also? Id be interested in seeing if gigabyte actually don't have any bios for it because I'm betting they do. :) :beer3:

ViN86
12-03-06, 12:00 PM
yea i was just about to ask that.

if you posted the info about the board here, we could have helped find a BIOS and procedure to flash it... oh well...

Gigabyte AM2 Mobos (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_List.aspx?VenderType=AMD&CPUType=socket+am2)
all motherboards listed here have BIOS listings available for download. it also tells what each BIOS update fixes.