PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here using VGA cable for their X360?

Pages : [1] 2

Gaco
12-02-06, 08:43 AM
So my quest for purchasing an HDTV failed.. for now. Having all hopes down I suddenly just thought of buying this "Xbox360 VGA HD AV cable" to use for my LG 19" LCD monitor (native: 1280*1024). Does anyone here have any experience with this? How does it connect? What about sound?

I've been looking a bit around for answers, but fruitlessly. Perhaps I'm just blind? :o

saturnotaku
12-02-06, 08:52 AM
My 360 runs at 1366x768 on my Dell 2005FPW and it looks/works great. What I did was purchase a USB+audio KVM switch so I could hook up my laptop and 360 at the same time. This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817402017) is the model I purchased. The 360 plugs directly into the unit, while you use one of the included cables to connect your PC. The unit I have gets a bit of interference through the audio but only if I have the volume cranked. I use the USB ports on it for my keyboard and Logitech G5 mouse, and both work fine on the PC, though not on the 360.

If you need any more info, let me know. Good luck. :)

Gaco
12-02-06, 09:24 AM
My 360 runs at 1366x768 on my Dell 2005FPW and it looks/works great. What I did was purchase a USB+audio KVM switch so I could hook up my laptop and 360 at the same time. This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817402017) is the model I purchased. The 360 plugs directly into the unit, while you use one of the included cables to connect your PC. The unit I have gets a bit of interference through the audio but only if I have the volume cranked. I use the USB ports on it for my keyboard and Logitech G5 mouse, and both work fine on the PC, though not on the 360.

If you need any more info, let me know. Good luck. :)

Ok, so you plug the VGA cable from the X360 into the KVM box and then using another cable conneceting the KVM to the laptop monitor or what? This way you have normal audio outputs (forgot what they're called - you know the standard PC ones you use for analog speakers and headphones?) to connect the audio. And you connect this to headphones or..?

Man I don't know jack about all this, I wish I could read some article on general video/audio connectivity between components :)

theultimo
12-02-06, 09:29 AM
Ok, so you plug the VGA cable from the X360 into the KVM box and then using another cable conneceting the KVM to the laptop monitor or what? This way you have normal audio outputs (forgot what they're called - you know the standard PC ones you use for analog speakers and headphones?) to connect the audio. And you connect this to headphones or..?

Man I don't know jack about all this, I wish I could read some article on general video/audio connectivity between components :)

The VGA Cable is a Dsub (analog) connector, any monitor that supports it (or DVI-A) will work.

It coes with RCA commectors, you can use a Y cable to hook up to a monitor that supports headphone jacks or a rca cable that supports that.

Gaco
12-02-06, 09:35 AM
The VGA Cable is a Dsub (analog) connector, any monitor that supports it (or DVI-A) will work.

It coes with RCA commectors, you can use a Y cable to hook up to a monitor that supports headphone jacks or a rca cable that supports that.

*sigh* I'm not technically sophisticated enough to understand much of what you just said :(

I tried to look up the specs of my LCD monitor on LG's official website and found this. (http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=050104&categoryId=050104&parentId=0501&modelCodeDisplay=L1932P&model=5#) Looking at the specs (and doing a quick manual inspection of my monitor) indicates that it has two outputs, RGB and DVI. Right?

RCA, isn't that just physical dimensions of a plug, opposed to being a standard? Wikipedia says that composite video/stereo audio is RCA plugs.

msxyz
12-02-06, 10:09 AM
The Xbox 360 VGA cable uses the standard 14 pin "old style" VGA connector.

It also has red+white stereo output plugs and a port to allow digital audio output on optical fiber (Philips/Sony S-Pdif compliant).

Here is a brief summary with pics:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/

Hope it helps

Gaco
12-02-06, 10:23 AM
The Xbox 360 VGA cable uses the standard 14 pin "old style" VGA connector.

It also has red+white stereo output plugs and a port to allow digital audio output on optical fiber (Philips/Sony S-Pdif compliant).

Here is a brief summary with pics:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/

Hope it helps

That's great, but I still don't understand why VGA cables can be connected to DVI input, but I guess I'll be alright.. I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to connect the audio to my headphones :|

|MaguS|
12-02-06, 10:24 AM
I just got the VGA Cable on my FW900 monitor, I had to purchase a BNC to VGA cable to connect it and for Sound I have the Digital Sound connected to my front panel for my X-FI Card.

Im running all my games at 1920x1080 and looks dam nice.

Oh and Im finally online with my X360! :D

six_storm
12-02-06, 01:00 PM
1280x720 on my 32" Westy here, looks awesome.

tacos4me
12-02-06, 01:18 PM
Using the VGA cable with my 2007WFP. The DVI+VGA inputs come in handy. :)

msxyz
12-02-06, 06:23 PM
That's great, but I still don't understand why VGA cables can be connected to DVI input, but I guess I'll be alright.. I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to connect the audio to my headphones :|
Basically there are three type of DVIs:

DVI Analog: just the plain old VGA/RGB output with a different connector
DVI Digital: Digital only, no analog or VGA backward compatibility.
DVI Double: Also called DVI-I. The most commonly found; separate analog and digital signals. Videocards usually have this one.

The vast majority of monitors support DVI-Double but you'd better ask your retailer or check the spec sheet. If your monitor accepts DVI-I, all it takes is a readily available and cheap adapter.

As for the headphones, I purchased an RCA to 2.5mm plug adapter. They're not hard to find. Stores selling musical instruments or audio equipment are probably the best places to look for them.

Gaco
12-02-06, 07:28 PM
Basically there are three type of DVIs:

DVI Analog: just the plain old VGA/RGB output with a different connector
DVI Digital: Digital only, no analog or VGA backward compatibility.
DVI Double: Also called DVI-I. The most commonly found; separate analog and digital signals. Videocards usually have this one.

The vast majority of monitors support DVI-Double but you'd better ask your retailer or check the spec sheet. If your monitor accepts DVI-I, all it takes is a readily available and cheap adapter.

As for the headphones, I purchased an RCA to 2.5mm plug adapter. They're not hard to find. Stores selling musical instruments or audio equipment are probably the best places to look for them.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed :)

Nitz Walsh
12-02-06, 08:00 PM
I'm curious about this as well as I probably won't have an HDTV anytime soon.

How do the games work on a 4:3 monitor? I would likely be plugging it into a 19" 1280*1024 as well, and I see the 360 Dashboard has a setting for that. So does it keep the monitor at its native res where there's simply black bars on the top and bottom? Do all games work like that, or are some stretched?

LiquidX
12-02-06, 08:23 PM
I also use a VGA because I dont have a HDTV. My monitor is a 4:3 and pretty big with two VGA inputs with separate functions for each. What I do is manually size the 360 image to wide screen so I have black bars on the top and bottom like you would a movie. My monitor is big and gives it a great look but it doesnt look out proporation either if I leave it at full screen.

Nitz Walsh
12-02-06, 11:18 PM
I also use a VGA because I dont have a HDTV. My monitor is a 4:3 and pretty big with two VGA inputs with separate functions for each. What I do is manually size the 360 image to wide screen so I have black bars on the top and bottom like you would a movie. My monitor is big and gives it a great look but it doesnt look out proporation either if I leave it at full screen.
If it doesn't look out of proportion if you leave it full-screen, then wouldn't it when you manually squish the image?

The only way I could see it filling a 4:3 screen and _not_ having any black bars automatically would be to show more of the vertical, which I don't see possible when it's scaling from 1280*720.

Me still confused...ugh.

sirplayalot
12-02-06, 11:21 PM
360 connected through VGA on a 22" Westinghouse. 1280x1024 Widescreen and everything looks great. :)

msxyz
12-03-06, 05:18 AM
The Xbox 360 can up/downscale images and even make them letterboxed to adapt to non-widescreen monitors (black bands on top and bottom). Proportions are maintained. From what I hear the upscaler does a pretty good job too.

Anyway, most LCD monitors which accept an analog input have a built-in scaler so it's up to you to decide to leave the job to the monitor or the console, depending on which yields a better result.

saturnotaku
12-03-06, 09:09 AM
The Xbox 360 can up/downscale images and even make them letterboxed to adapt to non-widescreen monitors (black bands on top and bottom). Proportions are maintained. From what I hear the upscaler does a pretty good job too.

Anyway, most LCD monitors which accept an analog input have a built-in scaler so it's up to you to decide to leave the job to the monitor or the console, depending on which yields a better result.

The 360's scaler does an excellent job. Though my LCD's native is 1680x1050, with the 360 at 1366x768 (the highest non-1080p resolution), everything looks great. You barely notice the black bars and any pixel interpolation is minimal at worst. Anyone running at 1280x1024 as their native resolution will have no problems at all with the 360.

npras42
12-03-06, 12:42 PM
Hate to disagree with you but I had one problem with 1280x1024 on my old 21" 4:3 monitor. It wouldn't work in letterbox mode Oblivion. I don't know what it did in other games because I didn't try, but it did do the letterboxing at another res; probably 1280x960. Anyway, gone WS now so its not a problem, but just in case he has a similar problem.

six_storm
12-03-06, 03:34 PM
Anyway, gone WS now . . .

That a boy! :D

JaylumX
12-04-06, 03:34 AM
1366x768 on my 27" LCDTV via VGA here

faraday
12-04-06, 09:01 AM
1280x768 @ LG 26" here

Mathesar
12-04-06, 09:06 AM
VGA via 24" Sony FW900 PC CRT, The monitor is 16:10 aspect so there's very small black bars on top & bottom for proper aspect, 1920x1080 works great.

XxDeadlyxX
12-05-06, 02:42 AM
1920x1080 on Dell 2407WFP here, works good except for the stupid sharpness issue (have to set to 30 to get rid of the lines)

Arioch
12-05-06, 02:46 AM
1920x1080 on Dell 2407WFP here, works good except for the stupid sharpness issue (have to set to 30 to get rid of the lines)

I can't make my 2407 change to 1:1 pixel mode so it stretches it to 1920x1200 which makes everyone look too tall in games.