PDA

View Full Version : DS3 vs. DQ6 vs. 680i..HELP!!!!!!!

baldbrad
12-02-06, 12:35 PM
hello all.

I have a problem that i hope all you guru's can help me with.

Im building a system and when i say building i mean window shopping till tax time:cry:

I'm going to get a e6400 unless prices come down on e6600's with in 2 months time(any one know if they might?when is the next C2D refresh?)

Also getting 2g Cosair XMS2 4-4-4-12 timings(not for sure if the dominator ram is worth the extra cash)It's has EEP on them.

and a EVGA 8800gts card.

The only piece im unsure of is the mobo.

I was set on the DS3 board,but then i look at the DQ6 board and saw the passive heat sinks on the chipset's(that and it's nice and shiny copper:captnkill: )but read the heatsink on the back of the board is pain with aftermarket coolers.

Then i've been reading up on the 680i boards,can use EEP settings on my Cosair,awsome Ocing,ect.

Prices ive seen 140.00 DS3,190.00 DQ6,240.00 evga 680i,

I will be OCing just for the simple fact that it's very easy to get a decent OC now adays,i dont plan on trying to break any records:)

So out of those 3 boards which would seem to best fit my set up?

I know that's really a impossible question but i'd like to hear ever one's thoughts

I do not plan on going SLI just dont have that kind of cash.

john19055
12-02-06, 01:29 PM
You want go wrong by getting a 680i motherboard I have a Evga 680i and it overclocks great and it is very stable.

sabersix1
12-02-06, 04:07 PM
Right, the EVGA 680i is very nice, it is ready set for CORE 2 Extreme and QAUD-Core Extreme, and it has the extra 1333MHz FSB Strap. So it is also ready for the Conroe Refresh in Q1/07. The three PCIe Slots will let you run twin 88GTX's in SLI and then you can ADD a third SLI ready Nvidia Card and use it as a PHYSICS card running the Havok FX Drivers with Vista and DirectX10. Not to mention DUALNET, Network Teaming, and First Packet, EPP SLI-Ready DDR2 Memory to 1200MHz. Mine is running at 4.2GHz Rock Solid.:D

Subtestube
12-02-06, 04:19 PM
I can't say which is the best fit for you, but I have a DS4, which is a halfway house between the DS3 and DQ6, that only exists in non US territories (Europe/Oceania/Asia). I'm extremely happy with the board, but, in saying that, the main difference between the DQ6 and the DS4 is that the DS4 does not have the large copper backplate. In any case - The DS4 is a very good board, but if you have the cash to spare, I'd definitely go with the 680i.

hemmy
12-02-06, 05:29 PM
how can you compare products not even close in price