PDA

View Full Version : Middle price/performance system?

Phillychuck
12-02-06, 02:52 PM
I've been stuck with the original AMD64 3000+, 6800 NU AGP video card and DDR400 RAM for awhile now. Whats been holding me back is the fact I need to upgrade soo much at once and need some ideas. I don't OC, just want a fast gaming system without top end stuff, but not something that wont run Vista proper.

I know I want a duel core system with 2GB RAM with the best price/perf CPU/mobo and GPU thats popular. I'd be willing to use a "cheap" pci-e card if its faster then the 6800 NU as a stepping stone to a higher end card in 6 months or so.

Games I like to play are BF2 and various other FPS, MMORPGs, I have a 1280x1024 LCD which has been a bane to my game performance with my current system.

Boils down to, if I can't really upgrade for around $600ish I'd probably consider a PS3 to cure my need to buy something.

Thanks a ton.

a12ctic
12-02-06, 03:06 PM
get the 1950 agp and a 4200+

OWA
12-02-06, 03:12 PM
If you don't mind used stuff, check the for sale forums since you'll find a lot of people selling their AMD stuff to help with an upgrade to a conroe based system. There is one thread in our for sale forum that looks really good if it isn't sold yet. He's selling a 4400+, motherboard and memory for just $350.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80470

Phillychuck
12-03-06, 09:53 AM
I don't mind used stuff just hate mail order LOL. Gave me some ideas but whats a 1950 AGP?

I'd rather look for current technology mobo with just a reasonable CPU, thinking if I'm going to buy new ram it should be DDR2? Like I said, don't want a obsolete platform to work with just not looking to do SLI or OCing.

ViN86
12-03-06, 11:39 AM
I don't mind used stuff just hate mail order LOL. Gave me some ideas but whats a 1950 AGP?

I'd rather look for current technology mobo with just a reasonable CPU, thinking if I'm going to buy new ram it should be DDR2? Like I said, don't want a obsolete platform to work with just not looking to do SLI or OCing.
paypal ftw.