PDA

View Full Version : Intel Canterwood chipset w/Corsair memory

VulcanOrion
03-02-03, 05:47 PM
In April Intel will be releasing two new chipsets. The one I want will be called Canterwood (i875). This board will require two memory sticks as well as at least DDR400. Here is the memory I am wanting to get:

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreaders. Ultra-low latency settings (2-2-2-6), command rate of 1T

This is a twin pack and from what I hear, running twin packs are better for boards that require 2 sticks. My questions is, I wanted to buy DDR433 but they do not come in twin packs. Would it be the same as if I bought 2 DDR433 sticks compared to the above mentioned? Or is the above memntioned better as a paired match? Thanks in advance..... :)

Also, this is some info on the Caterwood (Asus style):

The First Details About ASUS P4C800 Mainboard on i875P
Posted 3/01/03 at 8:43 pm by Anton

We managed to find some preliminary information about i875P (aka Canterwood) based mainboard from ASUSTeK Computer that will be available in April this year.

As we already told you a couple of days ago that Intel plans to launch its i875P core-logic and Pentium 4 3.0GHz processor with 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus between the 14th and 28th of April (see February 27, 2003 news-story), hence, being one of the closest partners of Intel and also a manufacturer of Intel-branded mainboards (see December 12, 2002 news-story) ASUS will definitely be one of the first mainboard makers to offer its i875P-based device.

Here are some technical features of the upcoming ASUS P4C800 product:

Supports Socket 478 Pentium 4 / Celeron processors with 400/533/800MHz Quad Pumped Bus with up to 3.60GHz clock-speed and above;
Can take advantage of the CPUs with the Hyper-Threading technology enabled;
i875P chipset, including Canterwood MCH and ICH5R I/O controller;
4 DIMM slots for up to 4GB of PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory. Dual-channel memory bus support: the memory modules should be identical and installed in pairs;
5 PCI slots and 1 AGP Pro 8x slot;
2-channel ATA-100/66/33 integrated controller;
Serial ATA-150/ATA-133 controller from Promise, supporting one Serial ATA port and one ATA-133 port.
ICH5R apparently supports 2 Serial ATA-150 ports with RAID. Optionally ASUS can install another Promise controller to support another pair of Serial ATA-150 connectors.
Up to 8 USB 2.0 ports;
FireWire (IEEE1394) support;
10/100/1000Mbit/s Ethernet adapter from Broadcom;
Supports ASUSí Wireless Kit for expansion;
6-channel audio solution;
Lots of additional tuning functions, including technologies found on all present mainboards from ASUS;
ATX Form Factor.

Smokey
03-02-03, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by VulcanOrion

This is a twin pack and from what I hear, running twin packs are better for boards that require 2 sticks. My questions is, I wanted to buy DDR433 but they do not come in twin packs. Would it be the same as if I bought 2 DDR433 sticks compared to the above mentioned? Or is the above memntioned better as a paired match? Thanks in advance..... :)

From what I have been reading from users, most, if not all, reccomend buying the twin packs, because they have been tested as a pair. I myself would take the gamble and buy the PC3500 x 2 sticks, as you stated, the twin packs only come in PC3200 at the moment. Its my understanding that all sticks are tested before shipping anyways, so does it really make that much of a difference if its not tested as a pair? Maybe it does to the very very hardcore overclockers!!

VulcanOrion
03-02-03, 09:22 PM
Smokey, thanks for the heads up and info. Ya, I'm debating but who knows, maybe PC3500 will be coming in pairs before April....:cool: Hey, thanks again. Thay was exactly what I need to know.

Dazz
03-03-03, 07:32 AM
BTW that board won't support the Prescott, just alittle heads up as the Prescott is getting a new socket.

gravioli
03-03-03, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
BTW that board won't support the Prescott, just alittle heads up as the Prescott is getting a new socket.

Why does Intel have to change sockets so stinkin' much?