PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Vendor Support

rombat
12-03-06, 08:39 PM
Has any one tried sli with different vendor cards using 8800 GTX? Is it possible?

XFX Support
12-05-06, 11:38 AM
Despite the confusion over having two SLI connectors on the 8800GTX, the basic SLI rules still apply. You can mix manufactures as long as the GPU is the same. More can be found at www.slizone.com

XFX Support

rombat
12-05-06, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info XFX support!

crainger
12-05-06, 10:46 PM
So we have some official XFX personnel on the forum now? If so, thats good news.

Spartan 117
12-05-06, 10:59 PM
cool, so what can my XFX Geforce 8800 GTX's can do when you OC with air cooling??

nekrosoft13
12-05-06, 11:19 PM
interesting, XFX Support are you from XFX?

XFX Support
12-06-06, 12:17 PM
Yes I am an official XFX Support Rep. If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me or post it.

XFX Support

ManOnFire
12-06-06, 12:25 PM
I have a question. I bought a XFX 8800GTS and read somewhere that there is a lifetime tollfree warranty on it. As i understand if anything happens to my 8800GTS i can rma it to you free of any charges like postage etc and i can sell the 8800GTS and the buyer gets the same warranty. Is this true?

nekrosoft13
12-06-06, 01:16 PM
Yes I am an official XFX Support Rep. If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me or post it.

XFX Support

welcome

every company should be doing stuff like this, getting involved with customers.

crainger
12-06-06, 04:42 PM
Even better since the official XFX forums shut down.

XFX Support
12-07-06, 10:51 AM
Its good to see such a positive response from you guys. To answer your question ManOnFire, yes our 8 series, 7 series and 6 series cards do come with a double lifetime warranty (North America Residents only). This means the original owner has a lifetime warranty and who ever they sell or give to video card to will also have a lifetime warranty. Comes in handy when selling your video card on ebay or similar sites.

XFX Support

crainger
12-07-06, 04:52 PM
North America only? I should pay more attention to the fine print. Though the place I bought it from stated it had a Double Lifetime Warranty in the product description.

Talk about false advertising. Ah well. What's the standard Non-US warranty? 2 years I'm guessing.

Also any plans to extend the lifetime warranty to the Asia-Pacific region?

XFX Support
12-07-06, 05:37 PM
Non-North American Customers have at least a two year warranty (we do work with them as much as possible to help out).

XFX Support

Henno
12-09-06, 04:54 PM
Now please don't tell me that USA customers will find a PCI-E powercable adapter in their 8800GTX box and European customers like me don't.

I bought a XFX8800GTX this afternoon and after coming home i found out that i can't use it because my powersupply doesn't have those PCI-E power cables and XFX doesn't supply one in the box. :thumbdwn:
And ofcourse i did find out after closing times, must wait till monday. :(

crainger
12-09-06, 04:58 PM
My GTX had a PCI-E adapter in the box. But it was listed separate on my invoice, so I think the store must have thrown one in for me.

XFX Support
12-11-06, 11:13 AM
You can use the power adapter for the 8800GTX and GTS video cards, but it is recommended not to. For optimal performance Nvidia recommend you use a power supply that comes with the 6pin power dongles. If you did purchase an XFX video card and need the adapter, we can provide them for you. Go to www.xfxforce.com and start a support ticket requesting one (let me know the ticket number as well.)

XFX Support

Cyant
12-11-06, 11:52 AM
if you use the adapter dont connect both connector using the same power supply wire. Use 2 different wires and dont connect hard drives/cd-roms to those wire try to let the vid card be alone on those 2 wires. A fan or 2 would not be too bad tho.

LoneWolf15
12-11-06, 03:03 PM
Now please don't tell me that USA customers will find a PCI-E powercable adapter in their 8800GTX box and European customers like me don't.

I bought a XFX8800GTX this afternoon and after coming home i found out that i can't use it because my powersupply doesn't have those PCI-E power cables and XFX doesn't supply one in the box. :thumbdwn:
And ofcourse i did find out after closing times, must wait till monday. :(

If you don't have PCIe power connectors on your power supply, it is highly likely you don't have a power supply that will be able to stand up to the demands an 8800GTX will place on it. I'd highly recommend replacing the power supply. The 8800GTX has two PCIe power connectors for a reason: under load, the card alone consumes 150-180 watts, and nVidia specifies the need for a power supply with 12v rails that add up to a minimum of 30 amps total.

If you manage to find an adapter, it may work, but you're also running the risk of putting a lot of stress on that power supply, and possibly as a result, other components in your system. If you fry the PSU, who knows what it might take with it. I wouldn't take that risk, myself.

Henno
12-11-06, 03:52 PM
If you don't have PCIe power connectors on your power supply, it is highly likely you don't have a power supply that will be able to stand up to the demands an 8800GTX will place on it. I'd highly recommend replacing the power supply. The 8800GTX has two PCIe power connectors for a reason: under load, the card alone consumes 150-180 watts, and nVidia specifies the need for a power supply with 12v rails that add up to a minimum of 30 amps total.

If you manage to find an adapter, it may work, but you're also running the risk of putting a lot of stress on that power supply, and possibly as a result, other components in your system. If you fry the PSU, who knows what it might take with it. I wouldn't take that risk, myself.

My Zallman ps served a X1900XTX for almost a year, with no problems. And it seems to handle my new 8800GTX as well so far.

If you did purchase an XFX video card and need the adapter, we can provide them for you. Go to www.xfxforce.com and start a support ticket requesting one (let me know the ticket number as well.)

XFX Support

Thnx XFX support but i've already bought them. If you have a new Ferrari in your garage you're not gonna wait a couple of days/weeks for the keys to be send after, i will use other technique's to start the damn thing. :D

einstein_314
12-11-06, 04:58 PM

XFX Support
Sweet! It's great to have actual tech support guys on the forums. If only there were some from different companies too. Oh well. Welcome XFX!

Spartan 117
12-11-06, 06:03 PM
nice, that means if any issues arrises from my GPU's (they are XFX 8800 GTX's) then I can ask him :)