PDA

View Full Version : Wii surround sound on Logitech Z5500 speakers.

Mathesar
12-04-06, 10:02 AM
Does anyone have Wii hooked up to Logitech Z5500s? (Or Z680's being they have the same inputs), The Logitechs have a Pro Logic 2 setting Im just curious how I would go about hooking up Wii's audio, it doesnt have any RCA inputs so not sure how to go about it ..heres a shot of the back:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/z5500/img/z11.JPG

Zelda_fan
12-04-06, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have Wii hooked up to Logitech Z5500s? (Or Z680's being they have the same inputs), The Logitechs have a Pro Logic 2 setting Im just curious how I would go about hooking up Wii's audio, it doesnt have any RCA inputs so not sure how to go about it ..heres a shot of the back:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/z5500/img/z11.JPG

it's actually quite possible, and would work very well seeing as the Z5500s can decode Dolby ProLogicII.

You will need one of these bad boys though:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=2120&seq=1&format=2&style=

toxikneedle
12-04-06, 02:50 PM
it has always pissed me off that the z5500's dont have an rca input. why they didn't include one is beyond me.

Zelda_fan
12-04-06, 03:25 PM
it has always pissed me off that the z5500's dont have an rca input. why they didn't include one is beyond me.

They included three of them. You simply have to buy a $1.50 adapter to use them.

toxikneedle
12-04-06, 04:47 PM
They included three of them. You simply have to buy a $1.50 adapter to use them.
Yeah but my cheap altec lansing have a rca input, so it's kind of odd that logitech didn't include even one.... and yeah i understand that $1 adapters are cheap and all... but still out of the box at least 1 should be there.

Mathesar
12-05-06, 09:49 PM
it's actually quite possible, and would work very well seeing as the Z5500s can decode Dolby ProLogicII.

You will need one of these bad boys though:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=2120&seq=1&format=2&style=

Ah yea I figured i'd need something like that , would I just plug it into the Front input then? Thanks.

Zelda_fan
12-05-06, 11:28 PM
Ah yea I figured i'd need something like that , would I just plug it into the Front input then? Thanks.

No, plug it into either the green, black, or orange 3.5mm input.

Mathesar
12-06-06, 12:33 AM
No, plug it into either the green, black, or orange 3.5mm input.

Heh yea thats what I meant by "Front" (as shown in the pic, #1 input) , but I didnt know any 3 of those inputs would be fine, Thanks.

Zelda_fan
12-06-06, 12:48 AM
Heh yea thats what I meant by "Front" (as shown in the pic, #1 input) , but I didnt know any 3 of those inputs would be fine, Thanks.

You would need to flip that little switch that says "Stereo 1-3" to do it.

Braveheart80
12-07-06, 07:30 PM
Just what I needed to connect my z5500 with my beloved Wii

I have set up (through wii settings) surround sound and connected the red and white cable as shown in this thread

I have one last question though ; In the lcs screen of my logitech it says Input Stereo1 and Effect Stereo
For the Effect I have the following choices
Stereo,Stereox2,Dolby PL 2 Movie,Dolby PL 2 Music

To listen to surround sound i must set this to Dolby PL 2 movie?
If not which is the right setting?

MustangSVT
12-07-06, 07:51 PM
Does the Wii have surround sound in the first place? Surround sound is 5.1 and assuming it's Dolby Digital 5.1, that would show up at DD Digital on the Z-5500s with no "mode" to change through. If you can select Stereo, Stereo x2, Dolby PLII Movie & Dolby PLII Music, then the Wii is outputting stereo.

Dolby PLII is like remixing from Stereo to 5.1. You could use the "Movie" setting for games I guess.

Braveheart80
12-07-06, 08:34 PM
Does the Wii have surround sound in the first place? Surround sound is 5.1 and assuming it's Dolby Digital 5.1, that would show up at DD Digital on the Z-5500s with no "mode" to change through. If you can select Stereo, Stereo x2, Dolby PLII Movie & Dolby PLII Music, then the Wii is outputting stereo.

Dolby PLII is like remixing from Stereo to 5.1. You could use the "Movie" setting for games I guess.

I think that DD Digital etc can only be displayed from digital sources (optical,coaxial ) , not from analogue ones

Rakeesh
12-07-06, 09:01 PM
*sigh* why do these PC surround speakers only support miniplug inputs? Or for that matter, why do PC surround cards only output with miniplugs? Unshielded wire, carrying two audio channels over the same ground wire even, and then running them in parallel. What f*cked up sound engineer decided this was the best approach?

I mean miniplugs make sense for headphones since the less wires there are the better, and audio quality isn't that much of a concern for portable audio anyways. But why the f*ck would they use them for a surround setup where one of the goals is high fidelity?

Oh well, I am just glad I am not using analog I guess.

MustangSVT
12-07-06, 09:01 PM
Oh it can do DD5.1/DTS via analog, just need to have all 3 cables hooked up and signal already decoded. Does the Wii have optical or coaxial? If it doesn't, then it doesn't have "surround sound". It may have 2.1, but that's not surround sound.

Mathesar
02-26-07, 12:47 AM
Oh it can do DD5.1/DTS via analog, just need to have all 3 cables hooked up and signal already decoded. Does the Wii have optical or coaxial? If it doesn't, then it doesn't have "surround sound". It may have 2.1, but that's not surround sound.

Ah I was cleaning up my IE favorites list and came across this thread ..Wii only has standard RCA audio wires (L and R) but it *does* support Dolby Pro Logic 2 which allows 5.1 surround through these 2 channels (just have to be sure the reciever is set on Pro logic 2) It works quite well in Zelda TP. for example if im standing near a waterfall and spin Link around you can hear the sound of the waterfall through all the proper speakers (including the rear channels). Or if an enemy shoots an arrow from behind you hear it coming from the rear and then over to the front channels as it hits the ground or wall etc.

noctrine
04-26-07, 12:55 AM
Mathesar,

I have the same setup (Wii, Z-5500) but I haven't noticed any "surround" effects. In fact, I was wondering why they advertised "ProLogic II" on the games (until I found out it processes stereo to 5.1). I have set the games to ProLogic, and the Z-5500 is set to "PLII - Movie", but I don't seem to get 5.1.

Is there anything I could be missing? Is there a "sound test" somewhere in the Wii? I know 5.1 works because I've been watching movies (digital sound input) with it.

Thanks!