PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't/couldn't Nvidia correct aliasing on specular maps?

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 12:51 AM
I was a bit dissapointed to see specular maps still have aliasing issues with G80. Why is it nothing can apparently be done about it?

http://sio.midco.net/111lll/prey%202006-07-14%2001-27-02-65.jpg

SH64
12-05-06, 02:11 AM
I think its a rendering limitation from the dev side not nVIDIA nor ATi.

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 03:09 AM
I think its a rendering limitation from the dev side not nVIDIA nor ATi.

Oh ok, I was thinking it was a hardware thing. Somebody had commented a while back that it was not likely to get resolved on the current generation of cards, so I assumed with G80 it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Insanity123
12-05-06, 05:12 AM
The only solution currently is to either run at an extremely high res, or use 2 or even better 4x supersampling (this works fine in some D3D games with G80 through DxTweaker, for Opengl and unsupported games by Dxtweaker youll just have to beg Nvidia to put it back in the driver ;)). Of course, this should be done by the developer nowadays, doing a supersampling or even more advanced pass on shaders that are likely to produce aliasing. But yeah, i use supersampling on plenty of titles and it looks pretty damn smooth in most games that are heavy on shaders.
Hope this helps

buffbiff21
12-05-06, 09:15 AM
By that do you mean like on the menu in Oblivion, when you are able to rotate the character?

Destroy
12-05-06, 12:29 PM
What factor is the nVidia default SuperSampling doing when its enabled? 2x I assume.

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 04:50 PM
What factor is the nVidia default SuperSampling doing when its enabled? 2x I assume.

There is a difference between the supersampling he is talking about and the Supersampling Transperency AA which you can turn in in the CP. All the regular AA modes are Multisampling, and only transperency AA modes get supersampling. By the sound of it you need to use DxTweaker to get supersampling with regular AA. I don't know how many samples the Transperency AA uses though.

OWA
12-05-06, 04:59 PM
I wonder why they removed the super sampling modes?

Insanity123
12-05-06, 05:06 PM
Im sure they will come back, especially if it it turns out R600 has it default in the drivers for example (SLI could do with a supersampling offset mode like Crossfire too). Its a bit sad that nowadays they only expose certain features to usesrs to achieve competitor parity (ati hastily put together crossfire and a semi-broken form of Transperancy AA to remain competitve in these areas).
Anyways, if you want to use it, download Dxtweaker and just load your game with the "Supersampling AA" module, this will give you a nice 4X SS.

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 05:09 PM
Anyways, if you want to use it, download Dxtweaker and just load your game with the "Supersampling AA" module, this will give you a nice 4X SS.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot for all the info!

fivefeet8
12-05-06, 05:17 PM
I wonder why they removed the super sampling modes?

They are still in there, just hidden. Games that by default use Super Sampling AA can still use it. Age of Empires 3 for example. ;)

Insanity123
12-05-06, 05:22 PM
Thats not really related to the driver, i think it's part of the DX rendering spec or something since Ati also supports supersampling when forced by the app (after all all it does is render into a texture and do a simple "copy" of that texture into the framebuffer which triggers the hardware to downsample.)
Heh, about time i stopped lurking in the shadows here btw. Glad to be part of the green team now (i was an ati fanboy for 3 years, now that i own a 8800GTS im wondering why)
Oh and that guy who followed my advice, i hope you got that it only works for direct3d apps, so the Prey example you gave wont do anything, youll have to wait for Nvidia driver support for that :(

SH64
12-05-06, 06:31 PM
Heh, about time i stopped lurking in the shadows here btw. Glad to be part of the green team now (i was an ati fanboy for 3 years, now that i own a 8800GTS im wondering why)

Good to see this thread made you lurk no more :D

Insanity123
12-05-06, 07:08 PM
Btw, check the 8800 image quality thread to see some Supersampled screens, especially far cry, because that seems to be one of the worst offenders i could find.

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 07:21 PM
Oh and that guy who followed my advice, i hope you got that it only works for direct3d apps, so the Prey example you gave wont do anything, youll have to wait for Nvidia driver support for that :(

OK, I thought thats what you had said and was going to ask for clarification, so thanks for bringing that up.

Destroy
12-06-06, 11:21 PM
I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot for all the info!

Did you ever use the Tweaker and compare screen shot jaggies? I'm curious to know if it works well or not. Your screen shot really looks nasty with those jaggies.

sillyeagle
12-07-06, 03:32 AM
Did you ever use the Tweaker and compare screen shot jaggies? I'm curious to know if it works well or not. Your screen shot really looks nasty with those jaggies.

No he said it won't work on OpenGL, and Prey is OpenGL. Nothing can be done I guess.

Destroy
01-18-07, 04:52 PM
Couple quick questions..

Is the latest version of DXTweaker 2005.1?

I'm trying to get rid of the aliasing shimmer in Oblivion which I notice on stone or brick walkways. Will DXTweaker fix this on a 8800GTX?

Using Qarls texture pack3 btw.

kevJ420
01-19-07, 02:49 PM
there is no reason why, whatsoever, that msaa csaa and color compression even still exist. higher frame rates is not a legitamate excuse, with quad sli (dual 7950gx2) and sli, or even single 8800s.

rgss should be the only aa option available, it aa's everything and does better w/ edges on top of that. msaa and csaa really suck. although i would vastly prefer rgss over ogss. and of course color compression sucks. and sometimes gammaAA screws things up. but at least those aren't forced w/ ss.

Xion X2
01-19-07, 03:07 PM
I'm trying to get rid of the aliasing shimmer in Oblivion which I notice on stone or brick walkways. Will DXTweaker fix this on a 8800GTX?

Crank the AA up to 16x and set textures to "high quality" in the driver. That should take care of most of the shimmering.

When I do that, the only thing I see shimmer is distant trees.

Insanity123
02-18-07, 05:50 PM
Okay, i have found that on the 97.92 drivers and using Nhancers experimental mode you can active either 2xSS +4xMSAA or 4xSS+4RGMSAA on Opengl games, which produces VERY good image quality but also comes at a massive performance hit, especially the second mode.. give it a shot

DRen72
02-19-07, 08:39 AM
Okay, i have found that on the 97.92 drivers and using Nhancers experimental mode you can active either 2xSS +4xMSAA or 4xSS+4RGMSAA on Opengl games, which produces VERY good image quality but also comes at a massive performance hit, especially the second mode.. give it a shot

Is this the sort of thing that would clear up Aliasing in games like Riddick and FEAR?

aweigh0101
02-19-07, 09:33 AM
How did you activate SuperSampling using nHancer? None of that shows up for my 8800GTS.

Insanity123
02-19-07, 10:18 AM
You need to enable experimental modes

ASUSEN7900GTX
02-19-07, 10:56 AM
excuse me how and where do i use/set supersampling times 4 and higher?

in NVidias CP or where?