PDA

View Full Version : New Doom 3 Engine technology

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 02:20 AM
Looks like Wolfenstein 2, Prey 2, and IDs secret game will all have the new goodies. True soft shadows, HDR, Parallax Mapping, Motion Blur, Depth of Field, and multithreading.

I have been marveling over how awesome Prey looks the last 2 days, since I decided to play it again. Much better than D3 or Q4, I think Prey is one of the best looking games there is. Plus I love how well it performs. On my 7800GT SLI I was able to run 1600x1200 4x/16x, and I was not able to do that with either of the previous games at Ultra Quality.

Given how well optimized and blazing fast the Doom 3 Engine is, not to mention how good it looks, I can't wait to see what it looks like pushed to the limits of newer hardware. Wolfenstien 2 is one of my most anticipated games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3_engine

K007
12-05-06, 04:42 AM
Can you do HDR in OpenGL? If so..is it like HDR but its the OpenGL version..and will say gf6-7 can do AA in HDR as well...

At the sametime..where did you get this info? This sounds way to good to be true..i hope its true cause..opengl just runs alot smoother -.-

grey_1
12-05-06, 05:25 AM
I cannot wait to see Wolfenstein 2, I've been hoping to hear details coming out soon about it.

But yep, agreed on the D3 engine, it is beautiful.

Morrow
12-05-06, 06:10 AM
Can you do HDR in OpenGL? If so..is it like HDR but its the OpenGL version..and will say gf6-7 can do AA in HDR as well...

Of course can HDR be done in OpenGL, why shouldn't it? It's not like HDR has exclusive rights to be rendered with D3D.

Everything you need is SM2.0 level-lile instructions. AFAIR, during the development of Doom3, Carmack added HDR lighting to the engine eventhough it is not used in the final retail version.

muaddib
12-05-06, 08:09 AM
Regardless of technology, Wolfenstein 2 is one of my most anticipated titles. RTCW is one of the best games I have played ever.

Becoming
12-05-06, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't mind an actual reference on the wiki page regarding those supposed features.

Riplayne
12-05-06, 02:59 PM
I remember reading in an interview though that the next Wolfenstien is going to be a 360 exclusive.

Rooster_11
12-05-06, 04:56 PM
Wolfenstien 2 is one of my most anticipated games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3_engine
Mine too! And I was just thinking about it earlier. :captnkill:

a12ctic
12-05-06, 05:28 PM
Dooom 3 engine is so impressive, with the right textures it can easily compete graphics wise with any next gen engine, and with better performance, i dont see why its not massivly used. Prey was deffinatly the best looking game to date (at least in in-door enviroments). iD really knows their stuff.

grey_1
12-05-06, 05:30 PM
I remember reading in an interview though that the next Wolfenstien is going to be a 360 exclusive.
Oh I hope you are soooo wrong about that...

a12ctic
12-05-06, 05:41 PM
Oh I hope you are soooo wrong about that...
Yeah, seriously, iD ports their games to dx as an after thought :p

Zelda_fan
12-05-06, 05:45 PM
Yeah, seriously, iD ports their games to dx as an after thought :p

the 360 does not use DirectX, it uses an exclusive API

a12ctic
12-05-06, 06:05 PM
the 360 does not use DirectX, it uses an exclusive API
based on dx, you know why nwn2 isnt on linux? because they originaly were making it for 360.

superbooga
12-05-06, 07:11 PM

At the sametime..where did you get this info? This sounds way to good to be true..i hope its true cause..opengl just runs alot smoother -.-

HDR lighting is more of a concept and technique, rather than an implementation. You could implement HDR lighting on a 33Mhz 386 if you wanted to, but it would run awefully slow.

OpenGL supports "fragment shaders" - the equivalent of a pixel shader, so it should be possible.

sillyeagle
12-05-06, 07:20 PM

Nope, 360 and PC. They announced it at the Microsoft X05 event.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=175541

jolle
12-05-06, 09:01 PM
AFAIR, during the development of Doom3, Carmack added HDR lighting to the engine eventhough it is not used in the final retail version.
Yeah the CVARs were still in there, but didnt do anything since the HDR implementation wasnt included in the release of Doom III.

sillyeagle
12-06-06, 03:23 AM
Prey has the coolest looking weapons I have seen, especially the way the light illuminates and reflects off them.

http://sio.midco.net/111lll/prey6.jpg

AngelGraves13
12-06-06, 02:22 PM
I wonder why a DOOM 3 1.4 patch with multi-threading and soft shadows and what not hasn't come out yet. I'd like to see an engine update. If not, we'll have to wait until the source code is released in 2009 or 2010. Carmack did say 5 years when DOOM 3 was released.

OWA
12-06-06, 02:38 PM
Prey has the coolest looking weapons I have seen, especially the way the light illuminates and reflects off them.

http://sio.midco.net/111lll/prey6.jpg
Yeah, I love it. Thanks for the screenshots. I'm only about half-way or so done and need to pick that back up.

GlowStick
12-06-06, 03:01 PM
Hm, that wiki article sources the new doom3 engine. However i can only one website that cites it from a print mag? Can anyone confirm if that is real info or not?

Labyrinth
12-06-06, 03:23 PM
(w/opics)

jolle
12-06-06, 07:15 PM
I wonder why a DOOM 3 1.4 patch with multi-threading and soft shadows and what not hasn't come out yet. I'd like to see an engine update. If not, we'll have to wait until the source code is released in 2009 or 2010. Carmack did say 5 years when DOOM 3 was released.
Newer games based on it usually feature newer builds of the engine, with the new additions..
Like QW and MegaTexture, no point to patch that into D3 since it would require vast texture work to put it to use.
I spose it would be exposed to modders tho..

sillyeagle
12-06-06, 11:34 PM

Yeah that would be nice. Source engine is supposed to get multithreading added in an update, but HDR for example will not be given to the older titles. I bet they have not bothered with multithreading in a Doom 3 patch as any CPU that is dual core can already run the game just fine, though it would be awesome to have soft shadows added to the existing games as I would think an engine update could do that without having to change anything content wise. to bad it won't happen. lol

Gabrobot
12-07-06, 01:20 PM
Like QW and MegaTexture, no point to patch that into D3 since it would require vast texture work to put it to use.
I spose it would be exposed to modders tho..

Actually, all the features like MegaTexture, HDR and shadow maps are still in the engine...the game just lacks the fragment programs to display them. However, someone figured out what the MegaTexture fragment program needed to be, so now modders can use MegaTextures in all currently released Doom 3 powered games. :)

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Megatexture_Technology_Mod;72779