PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Habu

jAkUp
12-05-06, 02:10 AM
Picked one up today, I am having a real tough time deciding which one I like better... Copperhead or Habu. Currently I have them both connected and flip back and forth ingame, and I really like them both :o I think for casual use the Microsoft Habu is definetely more comfortable to me... but the Copperhead feels more natural for me ingame.

There are some major problems with the Habu's firmware though, so I flashed it to the Copperhead firmware and its working great.

Hopefully I can make a decision by the end of this week (lee63)

One thing cool about the Habu is you can pop off the buttons on the side, and snap a different set on :) It comes with 2 different configurations to suit your style.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22554&stc=1&d=1165306141

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22555&stc=1&d=1165306165

CaptNKILL
12-05-06, 02:30 AM
:rofl

Flashing the mouse firmware... now I've seen everything. :D

Rakeesh
12-05-06, 03:00 AM
Well, newer mice have some pretty complex tracking software running in them. Whats especially nice about the copperhead is the ability to bind any button to any keyboard key you want, or bind it to adjust the DPI on the fly, all without the need for any drivers to be loaded.

You'd either need a driver to do that, or a firmware, and IMO the less drivers you run the better. This is the biggest reason I like the copperhead.

If you want something to laugh about though, then look at how much crap jakup has all over his mice, even his new one. I don't know how you can get a mouse that dirty, especially a brand new one that is black :D

Fotis
12-05-06, 03:21 AM
Jakup, you have a Logitech G5 too?

Rakeesh
12-05-06, 03:27 AM
It would appear so. I wonder how dirty that is too. :D

vandalous
12-05-06, 05:05 AM
If you want something to laugh about though, then look at how much crap jakup has all over his mice, even his new one. I don't know how you can get a mouse that dirty, especially a brand new one that is black :D

Prolly shouldn't look to closely to see what those stains are... (ack)

LOL I've never even heard of the Habu. I'm perfectly content with my G5.

HeavyH20
12-05-06, 09:16 AM
Hmm, wonder what interactive application leaves residue :)

I have seen the Microsoft version of the mouse, and I think it definitely feels better. The Copperhead was always too narrow, IMHO.

Spartan 117
12-05-06, 11:20 AM
The Microsoft Mouse In have feels pretty good for gaming and casual use :)

jAkUp
12-05-06, 11:20 AM
Yea I dunno what happened to that Habu, I didn't even use it thats right out of the box! But that Copperhead is really old :D Over a year.

stevemedes
12-05-06, 11:35 AM
ive had my logitech mx510 for like 3 years and im still pwning noobs with it. and its cleaner looking than jakups lol!

Zelda_fan
12-05-06, 01:31 PM
I would buy this mouse in a second if it was wireless.

Zelda_fan
12-05-06, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking of getting this one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=10716

SLippe
12-05-06, 01:45 PM
I love my Logitech G7. I got mine from Newegg for half the price Best Buy was selling them for and that included the shipping! You won't be disappointed, Zelda. I like the new look on that one in your link though. Mine is the previous version, silver and dark green. Wish they made an all black one (I mean buttons as well or at least with red buttons). Oh well.

G7 FTW! :D

Rakeesh
12-05-06, 01:47 PM
I would buy this mouse in a second if it was wireless.

I hate wireless mice for gaming to be honest. They have a crappy polling rate that makes you depend on mouse smoothing features in games, which sucks.

SLippe
12-05-06, 01:53 PM
I hate wireless mice for gaming to be honest. They have a crappy polling rate that makes you depend on mouse smoothing features in games, which sucks.
No complaints here with the G7. I didn't even install the software/drivers from the CD. I just plugged it in and went. The on-the-fly dpi changer is awesome in BF2. Crank it up and you can spin the turret on the tanks pretty fast.

mojoRT
12-05-06, 02:37 PM
No complaints here with the G7. I didn't even install the software/drivers from the CD. I just plugged it in and went. The on-the-fly dpi changer is awesome in BF2. Crank it up and you can spin the turret on the tanks pretty fast.

MX518, same DPI switching feature, love it.

The only problem is that when you get out to go shoot someone, move the mouse to aim and end up doing a 360, then realize you have to switch back down the DPI, and then getting killed while you're doing it... hmm.. maybe I need more practice.

Rakeesh
12-05-06, 04:13 PM

Well that isn't quite what I am referring to. Take CS:S for example. Turn off the mouse smoothing or mouse filtering feature (whatever its called) and then notice how it seems like your mouse is on a grid as you move it around. This happens at any DPI setting. The reason why is because it has nothing to do with DPI, but rather how often the mouse reports its movements, or polls.

The highest polling rate a G7 mouse can go is at 8ms intervals. Razer copperhead and logitech wired mice can do 1ms intervals OTOH. Turning on mouse filtering makes this less noticeable, but you still get a delay/lag effect as you are moving the mouse around. You probably won't notice what I am talking about unless you've used this configuration before. Once you use it, it's annoying trying to go back.

einstein_314
12-05-06, 04:18 PM
QFT. I've had my G7 for about a year now...I think...and it's great! I too have the silver/green one. A friend of mine got the carbon fiber looking one. It's pretty sweet looking!

Zelda_fan
12-05-06, 04:25 PM
Well that isn't quite what I am referring to. Take CS:S for example. Turn off the mouse smoothing or mouse filtering feature (whatever its called) and then notice how it seems like your mouse is on a grid as you move it around. This happens at any DPI setting. The reason why is because it has nothing to do with DPI, but rather how often the mouse reports its movements, or polls.

The highest polling rate a G7 mouse can go is at 8ms intervals. Razer copperhead and logitech wired mice can do 1ms intervals OTOH. Turning on mouse filtering makes this less noticeable, but you still get a delay/lag effect as you are moving the mouse around. You probably won't notice what I am talking about unless you've used this configuration before. Once you use it, it's annoying trying to go back.

Seeing as though most LCD monitors have a refresh rate around 8ms, I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

Fam Money
12-06-06, 05:48 PM
I got mine this past Friday and spent about an hour and a half getting this thing installed. After installing v2.0 of the firmware/driver it was finally working ok. I then noticed that after every reboot I had to re-tweak the mouse's pointer speed.

Last night I finally installed the latest Copperhead drive/firmware and the mouse works perfectly. If anyone ends up buying one save yourself the headache and load up the CH software.

I did find out that they released a new 2.01 firmware for the Habu to fix the bug in the 2.0 that caused it to stick it's polling rate at 125Hz. I have no plans on updating until I hear good things about that firmware though.

jAkUp
12-06-06, 07:10 PM
Yea, definitely flash the copperhead firmware if your going to use it.