PDA

View Full Version : Can anything ever go smoothly for me?! Please Help!

CDE_1246
12-05-06, 05:07 PM
Ok, so heres how it is. I upgraded my monitor happily to a 19" Widescreen LCD and the picture was good and I was very happy. But whenever I try to run a game my computer just freezes and then gets a BSOD saying nv4_disp.dll as the problem. THIS SHOULDNT HAPPEN ITS A ****ING MONITOR!!!!!!!:mad:. Can someone please help me with this. It is a samsung SyncMaster 941BW. I know the monitor is not defective so I'm not sure what the problem is. I tried a couple different drivers and no luck. My computer is perfectly fine at the desktop. Oh and sometimes the games ran but nothing came up just a black screen but I heard the music playing. I called the support and asked about this and i told him i was using reforce, a utility that locks refresh rates in your registry. He said to delete it completely and leave 60hz as the refresh rate. After i deleted it then came the problem with freezing and the BSOD's. This is really annoying me and I would like to be able to fix this problem and enjoy it. Thanks

J-Mag
12-05-06, 05:51 PM
Have you tried rolling back your OS to the point just before it started happening?

Also which nvidia drivers are you using? I wouldn't bother with the most recent sets for a 6 series card unless there is a specific fix you need.

CDE_1246
12-05-06, 06:00 PM
Oh thanks! Im gonna try rolling it back very good idea. Ill brb with the results.

CDE_1246
12-05-06, 07:42 PM
Alright Tried the system restore and of course......no luck. WTF! I dont know what the hell is going on? Any suggestions? Thanks for reply.

grey_1
12-05-06, 07:54 PM
Try disabling AGP fast writes in your bios, this seems to be a common fix for that problem.

If that doesn't work, re-install the last set of drivers that worked good for your card.

Another fix I found on google said to load bios optimised defaults and to not change the memory timings at all, I've never used that one so I can't vouch for it. GL with it!

CDE_1246
12-05-06, 08:20 PM
Thanks alot man. Appreiciate it, I used rivatuner to force disable agp fastwrites and i had no luck with that. I havent changed any of the timings in my ram either. Any other suggestions thanks. Also whenever i launch certain applications like internet explorer or steam the same problem also occurs. The mouse freezes and then blue screen.

grey_1
12-05-06, 08:23 PM
I hate to ask a really silly question, but have you tried your old monitor again?

Other than that it almost sounds like an overheating proc or a dying psu.

CDE_1246
12-05-06, 08:28 PM
Thanks No, actually i havent. I know it's not my processor or my power supply becuase this only started happening when I changed the monitor. For some really annoying reason, my computer is so sensitive to hard ware changes and if you change one little thing it goes crazy. It's gotta be a driver conflict. Because whenever i boot it up in safe mode it runs fine and there are no problems. I should double check on this though. I am gonna try reinstalling all of my drivers. Thanks for reply.

grey_1
12-05-06, 08:53 PM
Thanks No, actually i havent. I know it's not my processor or my power supply becuase this only started happening when I changed the monitor. For some really annoying reason, my computer is so sensitive to hard ware changes and if you change one little thing it goes crazy. It's gotta be a driver conflict. Because whenever i boot it up in safe mode it runs fine and there are no problems. I should double check on this though. I am gonna try reinstalling all of my drivers. Thanks for reply.
yw, hope something there helps.

ViN86
12-05-06, 10:07 PM
reinstall drivers and make sure you install monitor drivers. ;)

stevemedes
12-05-06, 10:31 PM
reinstall drivers and make sure you install monitor drivers. ;)

Do you really have to install monitor drivers?

einstein_314
12-05-06, 11:45 PM
Do you really have to install monitor drivers?
No. not at all. From what I understand, all installing monitor drivers does is change the entry in device manager from "generic PnP monitor" to "whatever the monitor is" (Dell 2407WFP in my case).

CDE_1246
12-06-06, 02:38 PM
Thanks alot guys i finally fixed it. I reseated my video card, cleared my cmos and reseated my ram. Then reinstalled all drivers that came with my hardware and then it worked fine. Very happy:) I love this monitor.

BTW: Einstein is awesome.

mcolbourn
12-06-06, 03:09 PM
Thanks alot guys i finally fixed it. I reseated my video card, cleared my cmos and reseated my ram. Then reinstalled all drivers that came with my hardware and then it worked fine. Very happy:) I love this monitor.

BTW: Einstein is awesome.

I guess when you removed the vga cable from the Graphics card and plug in a new one, must of some how dislodged the graphics card a bit.

Monolyth
12-06-06, 03:25 PM
Glad to hear everything is working. Those slots are so fidgety sometimes.