View Full Version : ASUS Striker Extrene "strikes out" at [H]OCP

Pages : [1] 2 3

vmsein
12-06-06, 07:02 AM
Wow! Who would have thought. Review here:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIzNCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

lduguay
12-06-06, 07:11 AM
Geez, i just ordered a Striker and RMA'ed my Evga 860i. I'm such a looser, should have wait for some more reviews... Hope a new bios will fix the overclocking issues. :thumbdwn:

a12ctic
12-06-06, 07:23 AM
400$ for a motherboard? Ridiculous...

ArrowMk84
12-06-06, 08:13 AM
That's weird. I had my board at 425 with no problems, using an 8x multiplier on my CPU. It ran the same as 378 with a 9x multiplier. The only reason I don't run that as my OC is because the CPU requires a hell of lot more vCore and turns the air under my desk into a furnace. And the clear CMOS button does work, but you have to leave it "open" for a few seconds.

Now, that's not to say the BIOS is perfect. It has a bad reaction to setting the system date to the default value (I had a dying CMOS battery, so I replaced it with another one, reseting the date back to 2000), and it seems to have some of the FSB holes that the EVGA board has.

But like the review says, these are BIOS issues, and they'll be fixed.

I like the board layout a hell of lot more than EVGA's, not to mention the much cooler running NB and SB, thanks to the heat sinks.

HeavyH20
12-06-06, 09:22 AM
My only comment on the board would be that for the price premium, ASUS should have had the bugs ironed out a little better before release considering the audience for the motherboard. The reference board at least had the excuse of being hurried through to support the 8800 series launch, but it is now December, and any of the small bugs have been resolved. Tough to be interested in forking out $400 for a board that does not perform any where near as expected.

vmsein
12-06-06, 10:31 AM
^^100% agree. At least ASUS are known to have a solid track record when it comes to BIOS updates that address known problems.

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 02:53 PM
As usual [H] is full of crap.:rw: I could care less what they or anyone else has to say. THis has been my best motherboard hands down.:D

JoKeRr
12-06-06, 02:54 PM
guess the crazy heatpipe really isn't what it cracks up to be(lee63)

On another note, you'd figure ASUS would make sure the board can clock like a champ before calling it a RoG, guess it's a bit rushed.

Wonder how much cooling and noise the vertical axial fan can add to the mobo.

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 02:57 PM
That's weird. I had my board at 425 with no problems, using an 8x multiplier on my CPU. It ran the same as 378 with a 9x multiplier. The only reason I don't run that as my OC is because the CPU requires a hell of lot more vCore and turns the air under my desk into a furnace. And the clear CMOS button does work, but you have to leave it "open" for a few seconds.

Now, that's not to say the BIOS is perfect. It has a bad reaction to setting the system date to the default value (I had a dying CMOS battery, so I replaced it with another one, reseting the date back to 2000), and it seems to have some of the FSB holes that the EVGA board has.

But like the review says, these are BIOS issues, and they'll be fixed.

I like the board layout a hell of lot more than EVGA's, not to mention the much cooler running NB and SB, thanks to the heat sinks.

At least we know the truth man. The board actually can go far past 425 with an 8 multi. I know for sure you can do 450-460FSB on a 7 multi.

ArrowMk84 and I can tons of fun with a sweet board, while people that for some stupid reason think that [H] is the gospel truth will miss out.;)

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 03:07 PM
OK just finished reading the review and apparently Kyle and the rest of the (crazy) reviewers did not realize you have to switch a jumper before the CMOS clear button will work.

I WILL NEVER READ ANOTHER REVIEW FROM LAME SoftOCP AGAIN. THEY ARE NIMRODS AND HAVE NO CLUE. MAYBE THEY SHOULD TAKE A CHANCE TO READ THE MOBO MANUAL AND GET TO KNOW THE BIOS BEFORE JUMPING TO PREMATURE CONCLUSIONS.

THE CONROE REVIEW EARLIER THIS YEAR WAS COMPLETE PROOF OF THIS.

THESE GUYS NEED SOME BIOS, AND OVERCLOCKING TRAINING. THEY REALLY SUCK.:D

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 03:25 PM
Not only that I think the overclocks in my Signature speak for themselves.

32C CPU Temp. 38C Chipset Temp.

:jumping:

stevemedes
12-06-06, 03:29 PM
With those temps id try higher! up the volts!

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 03:44 PM
With those temps id try higher! up the volts!

I will personally prove Kyle and his minions wrong tonight when I prove you can hit 450 FSB.;)

:captnkill:

LORD-eX-Bu
12-06-06, 04:34 PM
Its on!

:tiki:

ArrowMk84
12-06-06, 04:40 PM
Not only that I think the overclocks in my Signature speak for themselves.

32C CPU Temp. 38C Chipset Temp.

:jumping:

With my aircooling the Chipset temp never goes above 32c. The heatpipe is extremely effective.

vmsein
12-06-06, 04:43 PM
TikiMaN is fired up and on a mission. Now he's got us just where we want him:D

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 04:53 PM
TikiMaN is fired up and on a mission. Now he's got us just where we want him:D

Ya Kyle even responded to my criticism. Poor guy. Must have an unstable life to respond literally 2 mins after I posted.:D

Anyway screw SoftOCP I say. They are no longer hard (not like they really ever were.):D

I'm banned at HardOCP!!! (nana2)

Labyrinth
12-06-06, 05:16 PM
And the score is???

Kyle = 0 :thumbdwn:
Tikiman = 1 FTW!!!:nana:

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 05:24 PM
And the score is???

Kyle = 0 :thumbdwn:
Tikiman = 1 FTW!!!:nana:

:rofl

Thanks man.:D

JoKeRr
12-06-06, 05:28 PM
Ya Kyle even responded to my criticism. Poor guy. Must have an unstable life to respond literally 2 mins after I posted.:D

Anyway screw SoftOCP I say. They are no longer hard (not like they really ever were.):D

I'm banned at HardOCP!!! (nana2)

hm, no you're not.

get the board to 500+FSB, and prove that Kyle f***ed up plz.

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 05:38 PM
hm, no you're not.

get the board to 500+FSB, and prove that Kyle f***ed up plz.

Well I can't log in anymore and I have tried multiple times...whatever that means.

As far as the FSB goes you guys will be the first to know.:D

Spartan 117
12-06-06, 05:57 PM
at least you got your mobo, Im till waiting for mine, im about to cancel the order and order a EVGA mobo :thumbdwn:

TiKiMaN1
12-06-06, 06:04 PM
at least you got your mobo, Im till waiting for mine, im about to cancel the order and order a EVGA mobo :thumbdwn:

Either way I think it's a good buy. Tons of guys on here have the EVGA board and love it. Needless to say the 680i chipset rocks!(nana2)

LORD-eX-Bu
12-06-06, 06:29 PM
:lol:
reminds me of nV vs [H] all over again:rofl

top3koms
12-06-06, 06:35 PM
Or possibly check out the Asus P5N32-E SLI ,it's currently available (http://nvnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=29511570/search=asus+p5n32-e+sli) and has the 680i chipset.I am not much of an overclocker therefore I can not speak for that aspect of the board but setup went smoothly and it has been stable since I set it up.